Dampening Spray???

marems

marems,

I think damping material could be sprayed on horns, but it would be best on the outside of the horn. Some folks cover their k400 horns with dynamat or rope caulk.

The potential problem with an inside application is that it changes the dimensions of the horn. If it was thick enough to provide damping, it could also impact the sound. Don't know how significant the change would be, but I wouldn't recommend it. No harm to it, though. It could make a difference in the hollow plastic sound you mention.

I think dynamat would be your best bet, though. I don't know of a spray no material that would be helpful.

Well, if you've got the plastic/resin horns, they are already inert enough. The metal horns have the potential to ring and can benefit from damping. Except for adding some heft, damping the plastic horns would not make a discernable difference in sound, IMO.

Agree with Mr. Colterphoto1; I took a pair of my 400's and 700's to the local "Rhino-liner" guy and left them there and when he did the next truck bed, voila!

The stuff is relatively thick, say about 1/8", and is somewhat elastic/rubbery. Dampens very well. Only thing I had to do was screw the horns to pieces of plywood and put a plastic cap over the driver ends to keep the rhino stuff out. Once it's on, it's on forever.... but then again, it's truck bed liner....

Notes: the guy asked me how thick and I told him "truck bed thick", but he said he could keep adding more if I needed.

He also told me that he could not spray that stuff on plastics, the curing chemicals are powerful and can "craze", or deform the plastic when it cures (there is some heat involved from the chemical reaction in the components)

They look fine and if you did not know it, you would think they came that way.

A lot of people remove the horns, then thunk on them and hear the ring. I'll make Bob Crites happy here and state that attaching them to the motorboards adds a lot of mass and stiffness to the open end of the horn. So if you want to 'thunk' em, do so in the cabinet and you'll hear a difference.

I did my LSI's and did one at a time and could hear the difference at loud volumes. For in home use for CW's etc, I doubt if it makes a hill of beans diff.

M

In case the thought of using automotive undercoating crosses your mind, don't do it. It will give off odors for a loooong time and stays kind of soft and tar-like. I'm not sure which Bob Crites prefers, rope caulk or undercoating. If you're planning on using either of these options and are also going to have Bob work on your crossovers, be sure and give them a liberal coating too.[;)]

For Mr. Colterphoto1, sent you a forum email re: cost; but for everyone, it was about $15 or $20, I don't remember. I'm still trying to remember where I saw that stuff for sale. When I do I'll post it.

For Mr. Lostinozz, you are right about undercoating, it's designed to "ooze" to reduce salt and dirt adhering to it for as long as possible. The "Rhinoliner" stuff is apparently different; it completely "cures" in about 24 hours, but retains the flexibility to act as a dampening agent. Key is letting it cure..... couple days in the Sunshine State at a UV index of a bazillion plus and them baby's are ready...

I can just sorta' picture Mr. Crites look when he gets set of crossovers covered with something out of the old scifi movie, the "blob".

I can recommend the Cascade Spray. I have used it to damp resonate door panels in car audio applications. The Cascade products are all top notch, produced by folks who understand the acoustics involved, and also understand value. It is a product specifically formulated for its purpose.

The manufacturer recommends multiple coats for best results, and you should let it dry in between coats. You may wish to apply several coats. It is a latex based product, so drying time is a function of humidity and temperature. But when dry it doesn't emit odor like other products.

VB-1 can be purchased either in aeresol spray form, or by the gallon in which case it can be either sprayed with a compressor, or applied with a brush.

The same product is also highly recommended to coat the inside of sealed subwoofer enclosures, of for the damping of resonant speaker walls.

I have used Cascade Audio's product support, and find it very good should you have questions as to the use of their product.

I seem to recall people putting some type of dampening on the inside of the K77, it was supposed to make them sound sweeter, i never tried it but bought some Khorns from a guy that had done it and claimed it was the hot ticket. Does any of this ring a bell?

No, these products will cause your bell not to ring.[;)]