Crossover updates for K-Horns

Bill Hausmann

There are a variety of options but if you were looking for universal applicability I'd say go with Al K's universal upgrades. They are affordable and worth every penny. Or as suggested here do a cap replacement or maybe contact Bob Crites or Dean G on the matter.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

They are STOCK as stock gets. ... and in DAMN good condition!!! Yes, these are the ones from Brooklyn.. You had to see the stairs we had to come down. The guy we got them from, couldn't have been a nicer guy... He just couldn't make it work in his LR. Just as well, he had a pair of Genesis hooked up to an 8B that I drooled over..... ;-)

Bob, When you say rebuild... do you mean start from the ground up? I can see the caps, but do the inductors go out of spec with time?

Just the caps really age and get bad. I would expect everything else on the old crossovers to be fine. The K-500-5000 went through several revisions over time, so hard to tell exactly what circuit those might have. Some have autotransformers and some don't have them. No matter, I would expect everything except the caps to be good.

Bob Crites

Here is a schematic I drew of the K-500-5000 from some '63 Khorns. Sorry for the poor drawing, but I just quickly drew it while rebuilding the set of crossovers. Might be the same as the '62 Khorns.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819314175822_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys... I'll tell you as much as I can remember from briefly seeing them today. The mids are the pv-5v something alinco drivers I think. There were 2 caps "soldered" in parallel. 1 more cap with screw on nutz over to the right and the inductors looked like spindles. I didn't open the LF cab.

AL, what do you mean by "Replace" the top section?

Bill,

Yes, you describing a very old speaker. I'll bet it's got the old K5J horn in it.

By the top section I mean everyting but the woofer! I would go for an Altec 511b midrange horn or my Trachorn plus Bob's tweeter. The squawker driver could be an Atlas PD-5VH. Replace the network with my original ALK "Universal". You can do all of this yourself or I can make you a complete drop-in top section.

Al K.

Thanks again..... unfortunately, they're not mine... my close friends though. We had to go take my truck to go pick them up. I think if I came home with those, they would stay, and my @ss would be out on the curb! It was bad enough when I came home with the Conwalls!!!

I hear what Al is saying, but I don't think he'll go for a horn swap out. I pretty sure he would like to keep the horns stock. I agree that those caps have to go! which one of you guys keeps caps that can be used in that system in stock?

Congratulations on the new Klipschorns!

You have been given some good advice about refreshing the caps on the crossover. This is small step. You can order the caps from Parts Express and it will only set you back $15-20. I believe Solen caps would be fine.

You will soon get advice about swapping drivers and adding elaborate crossovers, spending huge amounts on tube equipment, etc. All this can get very expensive and the price to value ratio is difficult to determine ahead of time. So let me give my other piece of advice. After you swap the caps, don't do anything. For the next several months just concentrate on making sure the cabinets are in corners and listen to them. Enjoy them. There is always time to tweak later on. But first you should get to know them. Later on if you need to tweak, then you will have a better baseline for comparison.

-Tom

Hey Guys,

I'm the owner of these 62's. Bill is a great friend and tech and he spent most of the day with me today trucking out to Brooklyn, carrying them down two NARROW flights of stairs and then into my house. He even bought my Cornwalls so I could afford to get these.

They truly look nearly brand-new. Just beautiful. We managed not to damage anything.

They are type C- no riser.I can't even find a nick in the Ribbon Mohagany anywhere. The story is that they belonged to a Doctor in CT and were in the same place in his house since 1962. The Guy I bought them from got them not too long ago from the estate but couldn't get them to work in his room (I agree, it was just too small)

I've got them in a 22 x 25 foot room with high ceilings and nice corners. I have baseboard heat so I'm going to have to get some rubber or foam to seal the tailboards.

I would like to update the x-overs but not butcher anything. So maybe a cap replacement or can I swap out the whole crossover for a type A or something? That way I could always replace the originals if I ever sell (fat chance!).

Anyway, to say I'm happy would be an understatement!