A vs. AA networks on Khorn/LaScala

ClaudeJ1

Has anyone here ever compared the two sonically? If so, is there a huge difference in the midrange and treble?? If so, what is that difference? Better imaging? Brighter?

Read too many places/aritles over the years about the superiority of 1st order networks and this group seems to have some tweaking expericence and good ears.

The AA also has a steeper slope on the tweeter. That steeper slope and the zener diodes were both put in to help protect the delicate K-77 tweeter. The sound is not much different between the two but I slightly prefer the simpler type A.

Bob

As previously stated, the major difference is the tweeter circuit.

That does make a noticable sonic difference. I run Type AAs with

Hovland Musicap capacitors. My brother runs a variation of the

Type A (with a squawker bandpass called Type DHA2 here) with Solen and

Hovland caps. The Type A is brighter. The tweeter output is

2 to 3 dB higher with a Type A because the Type AA tweeter circuit is

designed to be "lossy" cutting the tweeter's output. I don't

notice a difference in imaging, but the greater tweeter level sounds

like "detail" on simple, acoustic music and a dentist drill on much

rock music. The difference is not large, more on the order of

"flavor" most of the time, but it is enough to be obnoxious when

cranked up, to me.

The tweeter's efficiency rating is 105 dB/w/m. It doesn't hurt

anything to knock off 2 and as much as 3 dB in it's lower range.

The AA also has a steeper slope on the tweeter. That steeper slope and the zener diodes were both put in to help protect the delicate K-77 tweeter. The sound is not much different between the two but I slightly prefer the simpler type A.

Bob

I recall reading in the "Dope From Hope" that PWK did the Zeners to protect the tweeters from the stupid RCA plugs between pre-amps and power amps, expecially for the solid state ones. The issue was, upon disconnect that the ground opened up so that the signal went to the full supply rain, causing a full (70+ volts on high power amps) that would open up the voice coils in one big hurry. They were there to prevent that type of accident.

I'm sure having an 3rd order slope at 6k dropped the lower frequencies out much more quickly and they didn't care about the phase too much at that point since the drivers are about 21" apart anyhow.

Thanks for the input, no pun intended.

OK, so I googled (modern verb) it and found 11 pages of a prior thread on this, so that takes care of my question. I enjoyed the heated discussions and viewpoints, but you're all wrong............just kidding.

This is a great group of enthusiasts with a diverse background. My only comment is the room is probably more important than the crossover.

Claude

My only comment is the room is probably more important than the crossover.

If you're using a crappy set of networks, it'll sound crappy and I don't care how acoustically perfect your room is. Bob might say it's like driving your car on pavement as smooth as glass -- with fouled plugs.:)

... but the greater tweeter level sounds

like "detail" on simple, acoustic music and a dentist drill on much

rock music.

I taltally agree with John that Type As sound more detailed on simple, acoustic music. Hence they are my favorite among the others (DHA2 and AA). I've never experienced the "dentist drill" part though due to type of amplification I use and type of music I listen to.

Kudret

There's also Bob Crites' type A crossover modification with the mid/tweeter rolloff at 4500 hz (using the CT-125's instead of the K-77's)? I've received a couple of great remarks from forum members about this method, and am planning to do this in a few weeks to a pair of 89' Klipschorns, and I'd like to hear more about how that works from others in different applications, particularly with LaScala's and also other Heritage series. Thanks!