HTPC... Why Did I Wait So Long

SCOOTERDOG

I run TheaterTek too, it is one of the best DVD players if you want to use it with a remote control. Almost all of the key features have a hotkey, so all you need to do is buy an IR keyboard and teach your remote the key sequences (no Girder, etc, required).

Scooter, I would also purchase AnyDVD. It is basically a DVD cracking software, but it does 3 other things that you will love, it removes annoying advertisements, and removes "user prohibitive actions" FFs or Skips for some trailers, and can jump directly to the movie or menu. It sometimes doesn't like certain disks that i use, perhaps 1 in 25, but i get alot of foreign movies off of netflix, but the program is constantly being updated.

-Dave

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Logitech Harmony 880, would you be able to program this universal remote to work with those DVD programs on an HTPC?

Guys, if you have any TheaterTek compatibility questions or want to chat with anyone with simular hardware, TheaterTek does have a nice forum.

For my remote I am using the ATI remote wonder. It is RF, so the antena is in the back room with my PC. Works nice.

JM

Erik-

I'm not sure about the Harmony 880 (I just got a Harmony 520), however, I have programed my MX-700 reasonably easy. The way i programed the remote was purchase a IR keyboard, and put the remote into "learning mode" and taught the remote the keystrokes for specific comands. The only problem that i had was recording the "Shift-Key" or other alternate commands like "ctrl-" or alternate commands. However, Pronto users haven't reported problems, so the Harmony may not have problems either.

One keyboard that should work is this one...

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=038&active_tab=overview

The only problem with "some" players is that they don't have hot keys to access certain commands, aka. you must use a mouse. The advantage of Theatertek is that they have a hotkey for almost every major action.

-Dave

Its in the equipment rack Doc, you can see a pic at the top of the thread. The case fans are very quite but the power supply fans are bugging me some when on at low volumes. When listening to music or watching a movie you can't hear it at all [:)] But if I am just using it to surf around it is lounder than I would like. I need to look into a silent power supply. Other than that I love this thing

I was looking at that case. I found teh Back at Tigerdirect but cannot find the display and remote. I then found out that Window Media Center comes with a remote.

How do you like the media center OS?

I want to use my TV as a display and a separate monitor mounted on the wall. I also want to use my DAC for 2 channel and my HT receiver for surround. What Video card and audiocard should I use?

Thanks,

Chris

Its in the equipment rack Doc, you can see a pic at the top of the thread. The case fans are very quite but the power supply fans are bugging me some when on at low volumes. When listening to music or watching a movie you can't hear it at all [:)] But if I am just using it to surf around it is lounder than I would like. I need to look into a silent power supply. Other than that I love this thing

I was looking at that case. I found teh Back at Tigerdirect but cannot find the display and remote. I then found out that Window Media Center comes with a remote.

I want to use my TV as a display and a separate monitor mounted on the wall. I also want to use my DAC for 2 channel and my HT receiver for surround. What Video card and audiocard should I use?

Thanks,

Chris

I bought the Thermaltake Bach & Media Lab VFD with remote from Tigerdirect. It uses the IMON software & remote which is compatible with MCE. To be honest I find I use my mouse more than I do the remote, I think it is easier.

MCE PVR functions work fine, no problem yet. I have started to upload music and some video files to it and playback is really easy. But I don't use MCE for anything else yet.

For DVD I use Theatertek as do many others. It is a great piece of software and really produces a great picture. I also have PowerDVD but prefer Theatertek with nvidia's pure video and a bit of FFSDshow for tweaking.

I currently am using a nvidia 7300GT 256 meg video card and probably my weakest link. Although it is a very good card I want the 7950. I also run a small 15" monitor above my equipment and for this I just use the VGA output on the card abd use nvidia' dual monitor mode. It's great because when I am just going to stream music or listen to disc's I don't have to turn on my projector

My sound card is the Creative labs XFi Extreme Music 24/96 card. Awesome card and very good on board DACS. I had to buy the seperate I/O for Optical and Coax digital in/out, but I also use the analog outputs for DVD Audio. This is a great card that also incorpaorates THX setups with a nice bass management system,

Hope that helps

Scooter

Thanks,

Chris

I bought the Thermaltake Bach & Media Lab VFD with remote from Tigerdirect. It uses the IMON software & remote which is compatible with MCE. To be honest I find I use my mouse more than I do the remote, I think it is easier.

MCE PVR functions work fine, no problem yet. I have started to upload music and some video files to it and playback is really easy. But I don't use MCE for anything else yet.

For DVD I use Theatertek as do many others. It is a great piece of software and really produces a great picture. I also have PowerDVD but prefer Theatertek with nvidia's pure video and a bit of FFSDshow for tweaking.

I currently am using a nvidia 7300GT 256 meg video card and probably my weakest link. Although it is a very good card I want the 7950. I also run a small 15" monitor above my equipment and for this I just use the VGA output on the card abd use nvidia' dual monitor mode. It's great because when I am just going to stream music or listen to disc's I don't have to turn on my projector

My sound card is the Creative labs XFi Extreme Music 24/96 card. Awesome card and very good on board DACS. I had to buy the seperate I/O for Optical and Coax digital in/out, but I also use the analog outputs for DVD Audio. This is a great card that also incorpaorates THX setups with a nice bass management system,

Hope that helps

Scooter

I was looking at that sound card last night. Does it output 7.1? What add on did you have to use for digital out? I really want to use my Benchmark DAC1.

Can I ask how much the Thermaltake Bach & Media Lab VFD were? The case is about $100 but I guess that the add on is quite a bit more. Is it worth it considerign that Windows Media Center has a remote?

Thanks,

Chris

I was looking at that sound card last night. Does it output 7.1? What

add on did you have to use for digital out? I really want to use my

Benchmark DAC1.

Can I ask how much the Thermaltake Bach & Media Lab VFD were? The

case is about $100 but I guess that the add on is quite a bit more. Is

it worth it considerign that Windows Media Center has a remote?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes the sound card outputs 7.1.

You need to get Creative Labs Digital I/O module for digital output. It has both digital coax and optical. The card has both DD EX & DTS ES and works very well. If you want to play DVD Audio disc's or use the onboard DACs you need to get their cables, which I did. The Digital I/O Module is about 25 bucks and the cables were about 15.00.

The Bach case can be had for around 100 bucks and the Thermaltake Media Lab VFD with remote runs about the same so you are looking at about 200 bucks for both. If you go this way then you just need to add the Windows Media Addition software without the remote as the remote that comes with the Media Lab has the IMON software which is compatible with MCE.

Hope that help!

Scooter

FWIW, I think the M-Audio cards have the nicest sounding DACs on the market. The audiophile cards also have RCA 2CH outputs making for easy connection.

On my HTPC, I do audio CD upscaling then output the DAC conversion from my M-audio card into my McIntosh 2CH preamp via RCA.

For HT, I use the COAX raw output and let my Lexicon processor do the DD and DTS conversion.

JM

I looked at the M Audio card when I was getting ready to buy. It is based on the Envy 24HT chip. I'm not sure what DACS they use but I do know that the XFi uses the 24-bit Cirrus Logic DAC, a Wolfson WM8775 24-bit ADC,Rated at 109dB and 2MB of XRAM.. I have read the Wolfson DACS are comparable to the Burr Browns. Now does this card sound better then the M Audio...I have know clue. Since I can't do an A/B test I can't say. Looking at the general specs which ever one you decide on I don't think you can go wrong.

Scooter,

The Bach does not come with fans or a power supply. What did you use for the fans and power? I want to keep it very quiet.

One last question, if I mount a 20" monitor across the room, will I be able to see what I am doing using the remote (Like the MAc where the entire screen looks like an Ipod so you can read it from across the room)?

Thanks,

Chris

Tiger,

The Back does come with fans! One in the front to draw air in and 2 in the rear for the exit. Yes you are right the Back does not come with a PS. There are so many on the market make sure you look for a silent PS and at least 400watts. The one I have is ok but I will be changing it out as it is a little bothersome (noise). But in all honesty when the music or movie is up I can't hear them anyway :)

As far as a 20 " monitor across the room I guess it depends how far away it will be. If you plan on using it as a PC to then get yourself a wireless keyboard and mouse and use that instead. I barely use my remote. When I don't turn my projector on I just take my mouse with me in hand and use the wall next to my equipment rack where my 15" flat screen is, as this is what I use for monitoring my HTPC. The mouse is much easier imo then the remote...it is a pc. Besides I have WAY to many remotes as it is. I even have an RF universal but the thing goes through batteries so fast its a hassel.

The whole point for me getting into a HTPC was to start minimizing my components. I have great DVD Player that I paid big bucks for that I am not even using now because my HTPC produces a better picture. No more external video processor since my HTPC takes care of all of this. No more cablebox as the tuner in the HTPC takes care of this...you see where I am heading with all of this.

scooter

Hope that helps

scooter

Tiger,

The Back does come with fans! One in the front to draw air in and 2 in the rear for the exit. Yes you are right the Back does not come with a PS. There are so many on the market make sure you look for a silent PS and at least 400watts. The one I have is ok but I will be changing it out as it is a little bothersome (noise). But in all honesty when the music or movie is up I can't hear them anyway :)

As far as a 20 " monitor across the room I guess it depends how far away it will be. If you plan on using it as a PC to then get yourself a wireless keyboard and mouse and use that instead. I barely use my remote. When I don't turn my projector on I just take my mouse with me in hand and use the wall next to my equipment rack where my 15" flat screen is, as this is what I use for monitoring my HTPC. The mouse is much easier imo then the remote...it is a pc. Besides I have WAY to many remotes as it is. I even have an RF universal but the thing goes through batteries so fast its a hassel.

The whole point for me getting into a HTPC was to start minimizing my components. I have great DVD Player that I paid big bucks for that I am not even using now because my HTPC produces a better picture. No more external video processor since my HTPC takes care of all of this. No more cablebox as the tuner in the HTPC takes care of this...you see where I am heading with all of this.

scooter

Hope that helps

scooter

Scooter,

Can you suggest a power supply?

How about a soundcard? You said thatyou would have used a different one?

Finally, can I run 2 sound cards (or the one that you suggested may work)? I want to be able to use a digital stream out for 2 channel and audio out to an HT Receiver for movies.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

The sound card I use is the one I would get (Creative Labs XFi Extreme Music). Ithink you misunderstood what I was saying. J said that he liked the M Audio and I was comparing the two based on specs since I had not heard the Maudio, Although I know it has a good reputation I'm very happy with the XFi. It is 24/96 for multi-channel either analog or digital and for dvd audio 2 channel its 24/192

There are so many power supplies out there. I will look at mine as I don't remember off the top of my head what I put in there. I have the case off at this time so I'll check. Turns out the noise I was hearing was the bearing in the fan for the CPU Cooler. Freaking cooler is only a month or so old. I won't buy another coolermaster again. I just bought a Thermaltake CPU cool to replace it with.

Thanks. Timing is great here, I am right in the middle of picking components.

I'll try to find a video card and see what you think. I didn't really consider using the PC as a dvd player.

So far it looks like I need:

Thermaltake Bach Case

Thermaltake kit with remote

Creative labs XFI Extreme sound card

a yet to be determined video card

Flat panel monitor

Windows Media Center OS w/out remote.

Is the remote with windows media center more versital than the Thermaltake? I'd really like to use the on screen menus and remote for two channel listening.

Thanks,

Chris

PS any more pics of the computer?

If I may make a recommendation for the video card, then I would highly encourage a look at ATI. In my opinion, they are offering the best possible video quality out there. Not the best for gaming, but they've got a pretty standard pro video following that has only gotta be filtering down into the consumer options. Their All-In-Wonder cards are real fun.

Finally, can I run 2 sound cards (or the one that you suggested may work)? I want to be able to use a digital stream out for 2 channel and audio out to an HT Receiver for movies.

You can do both at the same time with the Creative Sound cards....at least on the Audigy and Audigy 2 cards. I can't imagine it changing with the new XFi