HTPC... Why Did I Wait So Long

SCOOTERDOG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question, I can use the output for a TV, projector and a monitor right?

Yes, you can as long as your TV, projector, or monitor will accept a DVI input, a 15 pin VGA input, or S-Video (not the best of the three). I once played with the DVI and VGA output to my AE700 projector. Very nice, and I did not use and software enhancement (like theatertek). I will do an HTPC myself one day...[:^)] I'm just waiting for Scooter to figure it all out for me...[8-|]

Hope this helps...

Gee Thanks Red.

I will say it has been pretty fun getting all of this up and running. The days of just audio and video stand alones are almost gone. The marriage of these two along with the pc is happening faster everyday. As I stated in an earlier post in this thread my goal is to get down to basically two components while providing maximum flexibility, My HTPC and Amplification/AV receiver.

Have any of you checked out the windows media HD content? I downloaded some stuff last night that was both 720 & 1080i...Wow! I a/b this content with std dvd playback thru theatertek and to my astonishment the DVD thru TT was really close. WMP HD is even coming out with special DVD's in this format that can be played on your pc and it rivals that of BR & HD DVD.

The world is a crazy place

scooter

Hey Scooter,

I remeber about a year or two ago MS was encoding movie trailers and documentaries at HD quality for download, and I knew there was a rumor for the WMV HD dvd's coming out. Do you have any other new or web sites to look this stuff up?

Speaking of rival, Id like to know how those HD VHS tapes stand up against BR and HDDVD [:P]

The windows media HD site list atom films as having HD content. I have not checked it out yet but will look at it tomorrow. This microsoft site is where I found the info.

Even these downloads are samples if you don't have good broadband they could take a while to DL. The smallest one is 85 megs. But if you have high speed cable they dl pretty quick.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/HDVideo.aspx

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/home/

What other toys do I need to add to this PC?

Is there a good tuner for sattelite radio? (or do you just stream off of the internet)

How about upsampling software for MP3's? A friend of mine has an Esoteric that upsamples to like 1500 or so. He records his MP3's on CD's and plays them through his CD Player for the upsampling.

Do I really need a monitor or will my TV be enough?

Man this stuff is fun. Yeah I stream music all the time. I like radio paradise as they play such a huge selection of music. There are so many sites to stream from.

Funny just before I came back to our forum I was reading some info over at microsofts site for the HD stuff. They also have their own multi channel format that is a lossless system. I have read some stuff on this but never really dove into it. Looks like you can upsample your mp3's to a higher bit rate and a bunch of other stuff. you should sniff around microsoft just search windows media hd and then you can go from there.

Man this stuff is fun. Yeah I stream music all the time. I like radio paradise as they play such a huge selection of music. There are so many sites to stream from.

Funny just before I came back to our forum I was reading some info over at microsofts site for the HD stuff. They also have their own multi channel format that is a lossless system. I have read some stuff on this but never really dove into it. Looks like you can upsample your mp3's to a higher bit rate and a bunch of other stuff. you should sniff around microsoft just search windows media hd and then you can go from there.

I'll have to look into it. I built a PC in March and never use it. I really need to dump some money into it and use it as I intended. Thanks for startign this thread. It will go on for a while.

Tiger,

Here's a link to a card I recommend at Newegg... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150170 . It's a 7600 GS. Comes with a double lifetime replacement warranty from the manufacturer. I've got two of them and they work great. Not using in HTPC, but I would in a heartbeat...[:P] The pros and cons of this card IMO are:

Pros:

Silent - no fan - heasink does require extra space.

Low power usage means low heat, easy to cool passively

Nvidia chipset - good driver support - regular updates

Very sharp, clear screen images

Heatsink design will fit in any standard height HTPC case.

Plenty of horsepower for most of today's games - My son uses one without complaints on many action games on a 1600 x 1200 flat panel monitor.

Great manuafacturer warranty. Can be sold and is still covered under warranty.

SLI card, so you could run two if you wanted and your system board supported it.

Good price/performance - less than $125 for 95% of the performance of the $300 cards.

Did I say silent? Most important feature for a HTPC IMHO.

Cons:

Not top of the line performance. If this is you number one goal, you will have a noisy system. The current 7000 series technology does not allow for both top of the line performance and cool, quiet operation. Actually, it neither did the 6000 series or previous generations. It has has always been a compromise...[;)]

Does require attention to airflow. You need to have air from your case pulled across any passively cooled card. Just the nature of the beast.

As you might guess, I think the GT, GTX, and all those other fancy names are probably overkill...unless you are some kind of "ultimate" gamer. If that is true you will probably want to wait the DirectX 10 cards anyway.

Good luck in your search...

How about this one. A few bucks more but it has a fan (so hopefully no worries about cooling). Is this one going to be too noisey?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2427578&Sku=P450-7870

How about this one. A few bucks more but it has a fan (so hopefully no worries about cooling). Is this one going to be too noisey?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2427578&Sku=P450-7870

Tiger,

Noise and the tolerance of it is relative thing...what's Ok to you may be intolerable to me. [;)] I can only share my experience...once I found that you could run cool AND quiet, anything less than silent is too loud in my PC's. I would expect this to be especially true in an HTPC. The real beauty of it is that it doesn't have to cost a lot of extra dough ($$) to get to silent. Any fan smaller than 120mm (that's a 40mm in that card in your link) will make noise that is audible outside the case. The smaller the fan, the louder the noise signature. As with most things in this HT gig, everything is a trade-off. To get extra performance in a video card you trade heat and the noise that comes with a fan... for silence.

Hope that helps...Happy shopping!

In my PC, noise from the videocard is minimal when compared to my Raptors, and I have a 7900GTX [:P]

Without getting argumentative, you have made a very good point. Individual components will "seem" quiet if there is a noiser component in the system. Replace the Raptors with quieter hard drives and suddenly the video card is loud. Put in a passively cooled video card and suddenly you can hear the fans from the power supply and the cooling fans in the case.

Let me warn everyone...the path to PC and HTPC silence is the same addicting path of upgrades that we all experience with our sound and video systems...maybe that's why I love it soooo much! [:D]

In my PC, noise from the videocard is minimal when compared to my Raptors, and I have a 7900GTX [:P]

Without getting argumentative, you have made a very good point. Individual components will "seem" quiet if there is a noiser component in the system. Replace the Raptors with quieter hard drives and suddenly the video card is loud. Put in a passively cooled video card and suddenly you can hear the fans from the power supply and the cooling fans in the case.

Let me warn everyone...the path to PC and HTPC silence is the same addicting path of upgrades that we all experience with our sound and video systems...maybe that's why I love it soooo much! [:D]

My TV is aDLP so I have to listen to that fan.

Scooter,

how is the fan on your video card?

What power supply are you using? Can anyone recommend one? I wa slooking at a 470 watt Thermaltake one for $69. Seems kind of pricy but I am new to this.

I think its pretty quite now. It had a very nasty noise and I found out that EVGA puts a stupid sticker below the fan. Once I pulled out the sticker with some tweezers the thing was very quite. My HTPC is pretty quite now and don't notice it at all when using it because the volume overrides any sound it produces, I also got use to the fan on my projector though. But then again when the volume is up you never hear anything except whats coming though my all heritage system...but I do have some smaller WDST on the back sides and rears so they need to be mentioned just not in the same breath.

I think its pretty quite now. It had a very nasty noise and I found out that EVGA puts a stupid sticker below the fan. Once I pulled out the sticker with some tweezers the thing was very quite. My HTPC is pretty quite now and don't notice it at all when using it because the volume overrides any sound it produces, I also got use to the fan on my projector though. But then again when the volume is up you never hear anything except whats coming though my all heritage system...but I do have some smaller WDST on the back sides and rears so they need to be mentioned just not in the same breath.

Scooter,

One more question. How is the air flow trhrough the Bach case? Will it work well with a video card that does not have a fan? If it is going to be a problem at all I am going to go with the one with the fan.

The airflow is great on the Bach. it has a fan in the front that draws fresh air into the case and then 2 more in the rear for the exhaust. That does not count the fan on the artic cooler (cpu) or the 2 fans on the power supply. My temp is always cool even when I am doing some heavy processing.