If you owned a HT - Stereo store... What would you do differently?

IndyKlipschFan

I know a lot of negatives about the industry in general, so keep it positive.

I just want to know this.

Say you could buy a HT store and your the new boss... What would you do different than the next guy? Where do you see the market going with "so many others like you" out there? And face it, equipment can be bought about anyplace anymore, so we know service is key to anyones success.

Klipsch is a given! BTW

We all have a passion for this business, this industry, too. How do you really make yourself different ?

Let me know.

The average forum member could probably do a better job than my local hi fi shops. I would do the following:

-Recognize the realities of the Internet and its effects on pricing.

-Sponsor a local HiFi/HomeTheater club similar to Harley Owners Group. Get customers together in a club atmosphere to help them feel good about being a customer and see other satisfied customers. If I had enough space in my shop, with multiple demo rooms for 2ch and HT, I'd have at least a monthly gathering with adult beverages etc.

-Seek first to understand my customers' level of knowledge before assuming they are an idiot and insulting them.

-Practice a culture of inclusion rather than a culture of elitism. The long-practiced notion that you are a lesser person if you cannot hear the difference in speaker wire, or that you "need" mucho expensive speakers to really hear what's going on is partially at fault for the long decline of the high-fi industry. Make it my role to teach and work with customers over a long period of time rather than trying to shoehorn them into a certain product today. Ask customers questions like, "Oh, you don't know what Progressive Scan is? Would you like to talk about it?", give them the option of avoiding a lecture if they wish.

-"Show me", rather than talk about how much better this DVD player looks or this speaker sounds or that sounds, I would practice demonstration as my primary means of selling the customer.

I think I'll write a KlipschCorner article about this.

I agree with the demonstrations aspect.

Unknown to you Indy folks... Not only did I use to live in Indy, but I manged 1/2 of a Furrow Building materials on (I think it was called) Westfield road/drive.

We were THE smallest of ALL the stores in Indy. Our Kohler sales were bottom of the barrel.

I did two things when I took over the plumbing department.

Contacted one of our fancier cabinet vendors & had several fancy finished cabinets delievered for displays, I also got ahold of our Kholer distributor and ordered some fancy lavatories, kitchen sinks and faucets.

I had displays made of all those.

By the time I quit the company 2 years later and moved away, Not only was MY store the #1 seller of Kohler (within the local stores) but we had like a 2-1 advantage over the next one.

Why?... simple...

I FIRMLY belive that if people can't SEE it, they won't BUY it. Sure you'll have some catalog shopper make a purchase, but not the average "schmoe".

Put real examples out there where they can touch/feel it... you're more likely to seperate a bit of their paycheck from their wallet.

[:D]

• Moderators

Hypothetically speaking this is an HT store, correct.

First, I would concentrate on the upper income market. There are enough BB's out there already.

If retail space were not a problem I would set up at least three HT display rooms, each equipped with a number of different audio/visual systems. The "style" of these rooms could be updated quarterly or semi annual. (Home theater rooms/systems are generally not an impulse buy.) This would offer a "fresh look" to the return client.

I would make certain that every employee realized the impact women have on the decision making process with purchases for an HT. It is most aggravating to walk into an audio store and have the employees totally ignore me and speak to my husband. i.e. don't assume I am ignorant or insignificant in your sales process. It will do you no good to spend two hours with a man, if his significant other has a say in the purchase. Try to have both decision makers present as often as possible.

Have a basic "contract for services". The "contract" isn't officially binding, but is a way, if authored properly to get the client committed to your store. This could actually be more like "IndyKlipschFan's Pledge to Mr. and Mrs. John Doe". In any event, a plain English paper that you offer and hopefully you and the client sign your pledge as a way to solidify a "working relationship".

No high pressure. Explain everything, if there is something you do not know, tell the client you will get an answer asap. Then do so. This is another way of initiating follow up contact without being pushy.

Being able to visualize is just as important as being able to sell. You have to see what the client sees ....in their head. (I have found this invaluable when making landscaping sales calls)

Everyone has a picture of what they want in their head, if you are selling HT you have to see what they see. Offer to make an initial house call (if applicable), just to make sure all measurements are correct. Another face to face contact.

I have more, but that's enough for now.

I would sell only well respected brand names like Klipsch, Sonus Faber, B&K, DENON, SONY, Samsung. At one time I really liked walking into HI FI Buys a.k.a. Tweeter and just looking at the fairly priced top quality equipment and then eventually buying. Tweeter now sells the cheaper junk much like the big chain stores.

But I think now is a bad time to open up a Home Theater business. I would wait for the new technologies (1080p, Blue-Ray, HDMI, HDTV, Sony Playstation 3, etc.) to take hold and prices to fall. Consumer Reports stated "flat panel TV prices will fall another 20% soon".

.I would not pull a Tweeter's Classic.....................Advertise a DENON 100 watts X 7 Home Theatre Receiver for $399.00..................and when you go to buy it, be told it was a misprint by one salesman.................ask another salesman, and be told there was only 2 units and they are both gone......but for a few dollars more, you can have this unit.....Both examples of shady tatics........in my opinion......happens way too much in many locations......................Unskilled sales poeple in Best Buy and Circuit City....never mind the rudeness sometimes displayed in such places.............Yeah there is a few things you could do different in a stereo store

This is more of a HT type store... think two HT dedicated show rooms setups... a lobby with two other setups and lots of gear. Good gear too, and hopefully with an emphasis in doing it right.

I agree with the "advertise n bait" ads... Pisses me off too, to no end! If it is limited supply, state that. If you can get it later for your customers give them a "rain check" at that price as well. Take 10 dollars down and lock em in.. Just make sure you can get it in 2 weeks or refund the money too. (Which is the right thing to do.)

I like the package deals... beginners basic, mid levels, high ends... You decide how much you "really need to have it." All at the same time listening to what the customer wants, and delivering on that promise too.... Most stores never ask what do you have now? What do you like about your system, and what would you change or improve on it?

When I was a kid, the stereo guys at Hi Fi Buys were dreamers... They demonstrated good, medium, and great stuff... And you COULD hear it, AND identify with it. We don't take the time to listen... really listen..... ask good questions.... then educate people. They just do not do that anymore.

So may HT type stores here in Indy are only "open by appointment." As many of you have pointed out too, really snobby people with dollar signs in their heads as well. IMO they do not help this industry at all. And their business is getting killed by the internet and big box stores, especially with their pricing structures too. (For instance, HH Gregg here locally has what, a commercial stating they have "100 yards long of TV's to choose from." So they have more TV's..... And so does sams club, and costco, Best buy, and at prices probably as a store owner truthfully you may not even be able to beat?

A woman in this business could do fantastic, too, IMO if she gets some good knowledge full of good facts, but not be too intimidating to men... But she must also have a soft side for women who either know nothing... or have good knowledge/ ideas as well. I bet Verna, Picky's wife, could go a long way to help people with their setup as well.

I worry some this industry has hit its peak... The players have scored big, and forgotten the little guy or mid guy in this deal..... (and some high end jobs too.) I also know at Target for 99 dollars, you can get a HT in a box....(Receiver, DVD Player, with 5 speakers and a sub.) <It sounds like crap, but you get my point.>

I smell an opportunity is all, and want to help out a friend to become better at what he does. Keep your suggestions coming.

I would LOVE to walk into a very organized showroom and be greeted by a very friendly, atractive, nice smelling female.

"Keith, what would you like to hear first, our Klipsch Heritage speakers or the Sonus Faber speakers ? On the way,check out the new SONY Playstation 3 with new Blue-Ray technology!!! Very Cool Huh!!!"[:D]

For starters, I think it's insane that no HT store sells music (or do they and I just need to get out more often?) I would put forth great effort to ensure that the entire collection is of decent quality - why bother having an awesome system if you don't got no music for it?!? Along with it should be the ability to fully demo every CD - with a music server this should be trivial for listening to anything on any system in the store.

The next step would be an adaptive listening room, which basically means a room that can quickly and easily be modified to simulate the home environment of the customer. It may seem a bit extreme at first, but I've got a few ideas on how this could be implmented without robbing 3 banks. Combined with this "chameleon room" would be the ability to demonstrate the effects of room treatment and AB comparisons between speakers. The entire thrust of the atmosphere will be catering to the music and future listening environment of the customer.

And lastly, everyone likes good sound, but it's the aesthetics that is going to make the sale happen. When properly demonstrated, the advantages of room treatment and quality "big" speakers should become quickly apparent, so the next step is to make it visually acceptable. Ideally this would involve a team of interior decorators with acoustics backgrounds to provide custom solutions.

I have a few suggestions from my personal experience:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My first purchase of any home theater product was a Sony 1000 EDS (in 1991) and Sony power amps. Talking with the customer service/sales people, I do not know how many times I have heard about how terrible my first home theater purchase was. Sony is junkget rid of that crap and move up. I never purchased from a place which a salesperson ever spoke negatively of previous choices I have made as I find it very offensive.

Also, I do not like to go into a high end shop and see the lower end cables which are exactly the same model as at a Best Buybut are 20% higher priced or more. All I can think of is how much I am getting ripped off for the items I am not familiar with and I end up shopping on the web. Overpricing the basic necessities of cables and wire will not advertise a decent price for the real equipment, but many HT store do just thatmaybe they think to the rich it does not make a difference so make a few extra on the cables.

Here is the problem with that theory.

I made 1/10th the income I make now when I purchased my first HT equipment. I now have the money to spend 10k on sound and another 5k on videowhich is small in comparison to many people herebut a good budget target for most HT stores. Likely I will never enter a door of a local shopthey lost my business years ago. My income will keep increasing and 10 years from now my next system will easily be in the 25k-50k rangebut I will likely not purchase from a brick and mortar store. Why? Because when I had little money generally most HT stores wanted to rip me off an extra 20% on speaker wire and inter-connects, so why should I support them now?

Last but not leastCustomer ServicePeriod. Realistically there is no way to directly compete with a web based store on price aloneso customer service must be adaptive to the individual and must provide value for the experience.

Here is an example of customer service. I have only made 1 purchase, 5 years ago, from a high end store around my area to be certain of the 10 year warranty (if the purchase went bad convincing the wife the value of more equipment would be difficult). In my opinionthe equipment has a 10 year warranty and the STORE should keep a copy of my purchase information for 10 years. I should NEVER need a receipt as the store should be able to easily provide it during my warranty period. If I ever have a problemthey look up the serial numbertell me it is under warrantyand if I have to pay a shipping cost or notand it is doneno customer provided paperwork needed ever again after I leave the door the day of my purchase. I have never had to return anythingbut that is a service every HT store can provide which will separate them from the paperwork nightmare of a BB. If I ever had an issue with the equipment I purchased at a HT shop and the return when flawlessI would be more willing to return. If it had even the smallest glitchthe warranty is what I went to them for in the 1st placeI would never return.

Keep the place clean...no trash around and go for the neat tidy and organized look.

Make sure all the displays are operating properly.

Most of all don't be a pushy salesman, be around and if someone does need you they will ask. A lot of places nowdays they feel obligated to follow you around like a lost puppy.

Good Luck.