I need help for a Best Buy purchase

vandec54

I'm going to cut right to the chase. I just got married and received some Best Buy gift cards. While Best Buy is not my store of choice it is going to be by default for my next purchase.

I need a new TV, my 25 incher isn't cutting it anymore. I would like to spend $1700 or less. I want a set some where in the 40+ inch range. I am going to be primarily watching sports and dvd's. I can make the room bright or dark. I will be buying a different home so I really can't tell you the room size.

I am lazy with my TV research, I just want to say here is my money give me the best set for my money. Please provide name brands and model numbers. Thank you for your help.

Circuit City is putting the Panasonic TH42PX60U on sale for $1299 this Friday. Its a 42 inch plasma and has gotten pretty darn good reviews. Best Buy and the like generally price match, so you may be able to get them to match the Circuit City price, especially since its in their ad. I asked Circuit City if they would match Best Buy's deals and they said absolutely. I'm assuming the reverse is true.

I'm planning on getting one myself.

Panasonic's Website

And I'm told Consumer Reports liked it a bunch too.

Thanks for the great info. I actually went to Best Buy tonight set on the Panasonic, but I wasn't going to purchase it until the price dropped to 999.99 on friday. However, after I watched it I determined that it was not even close to the quality of the other tv's around it.

I decided to blow my load and purchase a 42" Samsung (you can see the model number in my profile). It was unbelievable in the store and for the price of 1599 I am happy with my purchase.

against my better judgement (there is a moral in there somewhere), I attempted to get to Best Buy for the Panasonic Plasma so highly rated...arrived at the parking lot and...I am such a rookie at this (and I will never be a veteran) as the line was around the block...I will take a pass...a turned right around and came home...I will be out today running some errands but not going nuts with the buying...good luck to those who can do it and please report back on your TV purchases!

Bill

I been out today looking at 60 inch(ballpark size) tv's.I also pulled in at BB,YIKES!,I really can't believe people go through that to save a few,or few hundred bucks.That said,BB ain't the cheapest anyway,hhgregg in this area is unbeatable,way cheaper on tv's than Sam's etc.I been goin' with my wife for 30 years to these dealeo's but I think this was my last.What was a pretty good thing in years past has now turned into a total disaster and resale biz.

And another thing. Who are the people at the back of the 500 person line? Are they ever gonna get in?get anything they came for?

On the tv's,nothing pays like research and in home trial.

I can tell you the same story since I dropped my gf off at work this morning and just for laughs we went past BB. All I can say is that had to be 600, easy, people and that was at 4:10 this morning. I tried to go back in the store at 8:00 or so and the check out line was at the front entrance, they even had a few cops at the front door. I turned right back around and walk out, I'll be back another day.

well I puttered around Circuit City, Best Buy and Fry's...

I liked the Panasonic 42" Plasma...nice picture...$999.99 would have been a nice price...regular price is $200.00 more

I liked the Sony SXRDs...about double the price but bigger screen and LCOS technology...

I liked the Sony Bravia XBR2 flat panel LCD...but also a bit pricier but I viewed in 1080i(?) and I would not have this with my basic cable or any upgrade so I am told so why pay for the extra?

I like the Sony Grand Wega rear projection TV-KDF 50E2000...50" was about $1299.00 most everywhere (Sears too!) and is currently the one I am leaning towards...Fry's salesman REALLY pushed the newer version that is a "real" 1080i but again...

Bill

Hey Bill,

I have also been looking at the 50" Sony's. I do have to say that the new one that you mentioned, KDS-50A2000, is really 1080p. Here are the specs direct from Sony. http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=tv_ProjectionTVs_RearProjection_42to51TVs&ProductSKU=KDS50A2000&TabName=specs&var2=

BTW, I have an order in for 83's , 64, 62's from Simply Stereo. Due in next week or the week after, since Thanksgiving might push it a few days back.

James

jamesV...you have come a long way, eh??? Simpley Stereo are great people to deal with...Fish...thanks for the info...I had thought I could use my Circuit City coupon...TV is not expensive enough or the extra 10% off at Sears...doesn't apply to electronics...talked with some buddies last night and my brothers yesterday...I am leaning to the rear screen projection as the price leader or going all out on a new SXRD or that Bravia XBR2...as TVs are THE popular gift right now, perhaps the prices will become even MORE cutthroat...I have seen prices drop SIGNIFICANTLY in the last 2 days...thanks again all.

Bill