am I having a mac attack

dp1954

Ive never had any mcintosh gear until I purchased a mac 1900 a couple of weeks ago.

Ive always been curious about the mac sound and decided to try it out in a somewhat cheap manner. In comes the 1900. Ive been totally into tubes since 2002 and hadnt listened to SS since then. I really like the sound of the 7189 tubes and have been very pleased with the eico hf81/cornwall combo. I hooked up the 1900 to my cornwalls and proceeded to listen to Buffets License to Chill. Quite frankly I was very surprised.. the sound is excellent. Very good bass, great mids. The only thing lacking to me between the mac and the eico was a lack of what I guess youd call high frequency crispness. The mac has considerably better bass than the eico and the mids were just as good. But the highs just arent quite as nice, but this I can live with.. Its really a nice sounding receiver. This is not a good thing. I really thought that my audio journey had reached the point where I was happy with the setup that I have and could now spend my time tweaking it. I guess that idea is now dead If this receiver is any indication of what mac has to offer then order me up a batch. I see more purchases in my future of mac equipment. A question to any who can answer. I have a chance to pick up a mac c-24 preamp and an mc250 amp for 750 shipped for the pair. Is this a nice combo and is this a good deal? Both units have been checked by a mac tech and I will get the paper work. Anybody with experience with this setup? And I can see mac tubes in my future.. Wife aint gonna like this

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The C24 preamp is the worst sounding piece of McIntosh gear I have ever owned. It's a shrill, tizzy mess when compared with both the earlier tube preamps and the later solid state preamps (starting with the C26, which is a nice unit). The MC250 is a nice amp. I don't think the C24/MC250 would be an "upgrade" from the MAC 1900.

See if you can get the MC250 cheap. Then look for a later Mac preamp, like a C26 or C28--the tube preamps have gotten crazy expensive in the last few years . . .

I had a C-28 driving an MC-240 for several years. Very good combination. I also drove aa pair of mono'd Hafler DH-500's with the C-28 with excellent results. Now that I've gone to all Audio Research gear, I don't think I could go back to the Mac stuff. The Mac's sound nice and musical, but ARC combines the musicality with an amazing amout of resolution that the Mac just can't.

The best things about the Mac gear is that it's built like a tank, and the resale is always great.
Corey

thanks for the replies all. I am thinking macs with tubes but that may be a ways down the road. I really have enjoyed the 7189's and have put a ton of cash into extra tubes. Like most of you guys I enjoy rolling the brands. to you dwilawyer I just might be very interested in the mx110 if you decide to get rid of it. Using the 1900 as a preamp has crossed my mind, but I've really never dealt with separates before. This too is a new road to travel, but part of the fun. Somebody mentioned macs lack of resolution. I"d have to agree to some extent. I spent a couple more hours last night listening to the 1900 and it doesn't have the resolution of the eico. But it still sounds pretty good. The bass coming out of it is really nice. Just not the clarity in the topend. Maybe I should just cut to the chase and go ahead and purchase a 240 or 275. Might save me some cash in the long run....

Dave

thanks for the replies all. I am thinking macs with tubes but that may be a ways down the road. I really have enjoyed the 7189's and have put a ton of cash into extra tubes. Like most of you guys I enjoy rolling the brands. to you dwilawyer I just might be very interested in the mx110 if you decide to get rid of it. Using the 1900 as a preamp has crossed my mind, but I've really never dealt with separates before. This too is a new road to travel, but part of the fun. Somebody mentioned macs lack of resolution. I"d have to agree to some extent. I spent a couple more hours last night listening to the 1900 and it doesn't have the resolution of the eico. But it still sounds pretty good. The bass coming out of it is really nice. Just not the clarity in the topend. Maybe I should just cut to the chase and go ahead and purchase a 240 or 275. Might save me some cash in the long run....

Dave

McIntosh tube gear pricing appears to be very soft right now. I think now would be a very safe time to buy. Typically with McIntosh, you can resell the gear for equal to or greater than what you paid. Judging from some of the recent Ebay auctions, the McIntosh tube gear is selling at very, very fair prices in the last few weeks. Could be a good time to pick up a MC240 at a nice price. I wouldn't worry about a MC275 unless you're into collecting. They're rarer and not all that much better (some would say not as good).

My experiences seem to parallel yours a bit with a different conclusion...I picked up a nice MAC1900...I liked it but wasn't blown away as I thought I would coming from a Nakamichi TA/2A...I sent the MAC1900 to Terry DeWick for the spa treatment...got it back...nice...picked up an updated McIntosh MA6200 integrated as well...more power and a generation newer design must be better, right??? nice...but...STILL not blown away...:(

Daddy Dee puts up his unmolested EICO HF-81...I get that to give Tubes a try...I was blown away...I don't know if it is (for me) Tubes or what it is...my MAC1900 and MA6200 are as nice as the day they were made...my EICO is sweet but has not had anything done to it (except some Tubes) since it was made in 1959 so what's up with that???

Incidently, this also "forced" me to get a pair of NOSValves VRDs and a BlueBerry (later another BlueBerry...but that's another story...;) ) and I am in Tube Heaven...so...

Bill

One of these days I'm going to have go buy McIntosh equipment. No matter what I buy, or think about buying, I always end up thinking, wishing, pondering, whatever words you want to use, about McIntosh. My main problem is I WANT NEW, I don't want pre-used, I am such a cheap skate, but I figure it will be a one time buy, and last till I die. Ever since I heard La Scalas powered by MAC back in the early 70's, I can't shake it from my mind. Sounds stupid, I know, but I'm having a MAC ATTACK right now...............Thanks for this thread, whoever started it.....................

I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to audio equipment I am extremely OC. I'll problably end up with a pair of mc30's and an mc240. I"ve put in an offer on a pair of mc30's on audiogon. Just have to wait and see if it is accepted. Hell, I'm OC about anything that I do. You guys ever feel like there is somebody else in your head telling you to buy, buy, buy? Must be christmas............

Dave

Maybe it is the fast food. Looks like I am about to be the proud owner of a pair of mc30's. The guy on audiogon has accepted my offer. Just trying to work out details at this time. Never had separates before, now I just need to pick up a decent preamp. And nobody mention a c22. I know about them but just not now..... I'd like to stay married.