Choosing an amp on the basis of tone.....

maxg

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never liked the word "fact". If you think about it, there are no facts - to beleive so boasts a smug certainty and assumes a right knowledge of some aspect of objective reality. We don't have certain knowledge of reality. Similarly in the way we improperly use the word "law", as in the laws of physics; all observed ordered ralations are described by theories always subject to revision, not laws. An instance is held up as a fact when one beleives their opinion about it can not be logically contested, but historically this position has been demonstrated over and over to be in error. Facts are indeed opinions; opinions are not facts - there are no facts.

Tell it to the judge.

Now that's interesting!

I have a jury summons for appearance later this month - they have no idea what they are in for. Maybe I should tone it down 'til I get selected... I've always thought I would be good Foreman material.

I have a jury summons for appearance later this month - they have no idea what they are in for. Maybe I should tone it down 'til I get selected... I've always thought I would be good Foreman material.

During voir dire, why not sing one of Pontius Pilate's lines from Jesus Christ Superstar: "And what is 'truth'? Is truth unchanging law? We both have truths. Are mine the same as yours?" That should have them rolling in the aisles and the judge will either boot you or hold you in contempt of court.

"Timbre is that attribute of auditory sensation in terms of which a listener can judge that two sounds similarly presented and having the same loudness and pitch are dissimilar."

American National Standards Institute -ANSI S1.1-1960(R1976)-12.9

A note to the 1960 definition (p.45) adds that "timbre depends primarily upon the spectrum of the stimulus, but it also depends upon the waveform, the sound pressure, the frequency location of the spectrum, and the temporal characteristics of the stimulus."

"Timbre is that attribute of auditory sensation in terms of which a listener can judge that two sounds similarly presented and having the same loudness and pitch are dissimilar."

American National Standards Institute -ANSI S1.1-1960(R1976)-12.9

A note to the 1960 definition (p.45) adds that "timbre depends primarily upon the spectrum of the stimulus, but it also depends upon the waveform, the sound pressure, the frequency location of the spectrum, and the temporal characteristics of the stimulus."

Are you saying to us that the quest for the accuracy of timbre in hi-fi might be a never ending one?

You see me shocked!

Very early on in my career on this forum I decided a tag line that would cover my *** would be a good idea.

If I look at my early posts and my later posts I think I have moved far more than Mark in a similar time period. Thankfully - my sig says I can.

I think I might start renting it out for some of the longer serving members.....

There is a big difference between changing one's opinions (what one believes to be so) and changing the facts (what is so). We're dealing with both here. Factual contradictions cannot be reconciled or just skipped over and explained away as changing one's mind.

Paul

I have to say that for the most part I have enjoyed your banter and baiting. I actually ket a kick out out of it. In this case however, I find the recent postings and BS to be pretty mean spirited. I am not sure why you feel the need to be so mean but to each his own. I have read the past posts by Mark as well as the most recent. All of them are consistant in that they come from a base of knowledge that I dont have. Maybe you know more than me - but I really doubt it.

You sound like the Clintons. Making Sh+t up in an effort to make yourself appear more important or smart. I for one see through it and I am sure many more here do as well.

Josh

Very early on in my career on this forum I decided a tag line that would cover my *** would be a good idea.

If I look at my early posts and my later posts I think I have moved far more than Mark in a similar time period. Thankfully - my sig says I can.

I think I might start renting it out for some of the longer serving members.....

There is a big difference between changing one's opinions (what one believes to be so) and changing the facts (what is so). We're dealing with both here. Factual contradictions cannot be reconciled or just skipped over and explained away as changing one's mind.

Paul

I have to say that for the most part I have enjoyed your banter and baiting. I actually ket a kick out out of it. In this case however, I find the recent postings and BS to be pretty mean spirited. I am not sure why you feel the need to be so mean but to each his own. I have read the past posts by Mark as well as the most recent. All of them are consistant in that they come from a base of knowledge that I dont have. Maybe you know more than me - but I really doubt it.

You sound like the Clintons. Making Sh+t up in an effort to make yourself appear more important or smart. I for one see through it and I am sure many more here do as well.

Josh

Yea, pretty transparent! and useless as usual.

There are places on the net where each person can select others in the group, posts from which may be selected to be omitted from their view. I am very glad this is not the case on the Klipsch Forum. This Forum is much more interesting than other forums I have seen because of this. The Forum Moderators are quite good at allowing the topics to develop freely and naturaly within the bounds of spirited debate.

I think the Klipsch Forum is the most balanced, honest, and polite challenge / debate supportive site I have found. Other sites seem to be afraid to question ludicrous posts, others have cruel bully teams that crush inquiry and challenge. Not only do I find the Klipsch Forum most balaced, but it is the only on I have found that has a sense of humor, too. It has more personality, just right.

Pauln

Josh

A very interesting post: Insulting me (first time I have been compared to the Clintons, LOL!) for pointing out flat-out factual contradictions in another's posts. The flat-out contradictions have not been addressed by the person who made them and you haven't addressed them in terms of facts either.

Tell me, specifically, what I supposedly have made up. I know I'll be waiting a

long time because I posted the quotes as they were written.

Yea, pretty transparent! and useless as usual.

In contrast to your post, of course [:D]

By the way, which version do you subscribe to?

"I have built

several amps and preamps with no feedback. I would say I have some

first-hand experience with the performance tradeoffs and the sound.

There are times I like that sound and times I don't. Sounds good on

some speakers, not as good on others. Improves the mids but the lows

suffer. Improves openness as
the expense of distortion of tone
. What's

hard to grasp about that?"

Or

"Feedback is very useful in servo and control applications, but never in

amplifiers for audio.
It can not and does not improve tone
, but only

improves objective measurements."