Is a small SET amp too powerful (for anyone)?

Parrot

A good solid-state amplifier for Khorns?

http://stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/1006sonic/<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Basically, it's a simple class-D power amplifier based on the Tripath TA2024 chip. According to Tripath's data sheet, the TA2024 produces 11W into 4 ohms or 6W into 8 ohms

Somebody, ahem -- needs to review that thing on some big ole horns. Don't run it through a preamp. Even through a great one like the Peach it loses 'something'.

Dean,

Were you using the Shatki stones? C'mon, apples and apples.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In all honesty though, I just can't imagine a low wattage amplifier (5W or less) being able to deliver the music the way it was intended by the artist, but since I've never listened to one, I could most definitely be wrong.

In my house, we typically (95% of the time) play the MC60's at or just below normal conversation level, and I think the sound is to die for.

Gilbert,

You know how little power you are using to play at that volume? My Moondogs could do that with ease as well. And the sound is also to die for (please note, I am not saying you will want to die rather than listen to the Moondogs).

The best things for you would to find someone who could bring over some good low power amps. In iPod won't cut it. The quality isn't there.

Yes, I do know exactly how little power I am using. And by comparison, I am working my two channel tube system significantly harder than I am my 2000watt HTS SS amps. But I'm not sure what the significance of that question is.

It does however cause me to ask what many here might consider an ignorant questions... AND THAT IS...

Does harmonic distortion increase as the work load is increased on a typical tube amp (SET or otherwise)???

"deliver the music the way it was intended by the artist"

Don't you guys ever get tired about using cliche over cliche?

Sorry for the confussion in that statement..... BUT... What I meant was.... do your think that recording artist in general, intend the music they create to be listened to at conversation level. Or slightly above..... Personally, I think it varies considerably, and therefore, there is no general or even a typcial volume level. It's what you, the individual prefers. With that said, someone like me could never live with a 5W amp. My listening taste are quite spread out.

In all honesty though, I just can't imagine a low wattage amplifier (5W or less) being able to deliver the music the way it was intended by the artist, but since I've never listened to one, I could most definitely be wrong.

In my house, we typically (95% of the time) play the MC60's at or just below normal conversation level, and I think the sound is to die for.

Gilbert,

You know how little power you are using to play at that volume? My Moondogs could do that with ease as well. And the sound is also to die for (please note, I am not saying you will want to die rather than listen to the Moondogs).

The best things for you would to find someone who could bring over some good low power amps. In iPod won't cut it. The quality isn't there.

Yes, I do know exactly how little power I am using. And by comparison, I am working my to channel tube system significantly harder than I am my 2000watt HTS SS amps. But I'm not sure what the significance of that question is.

It does however cause me to ask what many here might consider an ignorant questions... AND THAT IS...

Does harmonic distortion increase as the work load is increased on a typical tube amp (SET or otherwise)???

Yes it does absolutely!! on all tube amps and with SET distortion in general starts out higher from get street and rises to a much higher percentage quicker then with PP. The flip side is the SET distortion is much more euphoric, easier to tolerate, and so on then PP this is why I like to build higher power AB1 PP amplifiers!! Stay out of the higher distortion operation as much as possible but still have that reach when needed.

With all tube amps the harder you push them the more distortion they produce. With SS this is often but not always the reverse. Big strides have been made to change that in SS, in tubes there is no fix for that perceived draw back its built into the tubes. This is why I believe many SET users often say there low watt amp plays loud enough to drive them out of the room (or any low wattage amp). Sure 5% distortion of any kind will do just that euphoric or not. Now with PP this distortion number at peak output may be only 1% or 2% but its of a much more objectionable nature so things start to even out. Neither amplifier topology will do its best over driven or driven to its limits. Its all about keeping an amp in its happy operating zone for that wonderful "tone". The trick is to make that zone as large as possible to satisfy as many customers as possible.

The flip side is the SET distortion is much more euphoric, easier to tolerate,

Actually the euphoric distortion occurs when you listenig to music at full blast while being drunker than a pollock.

LMAO to funny. I just love your sense of humor now that I actually understand that french humor.........

Amy, Ive met the Parrot. Take away his keyboard and hes not so abrasive, he wouldnt have survived if he were. You could probably take him in a fair fight.

Amy and I have met too.

If I fight in my weight class (98 lbs) I'm about 25% win - 75% lose.

Amy, Ive met the Parrot. Take away his keyboard and hes not so abrasive, he wouldnt have survived if he were. You could probably take him in a fair fight.<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Amy and I have met too.

If I fight in my weight class (98 lbs) I'm about 25% win - 75% lose.

Yea it really sucks when they won't let you use your weapon of choice fishing poles [;)]

I don't know about harmonic distortion, but when I was listening, or attempting to listen to a pair of Audio Note monoblocs, I gve them a bit of stick with the volume control. When I was getting close to a reasonable listening level, the bloody things collapsed! The salesman told me that you need to appreciate the superior resolving qualities of amplifiers such as those with more decorum - they had to be appreciated, savoured etc. What a load of @%#&! It's like when you go to one of these fancy cocktail parties. The waiters walk around with these appetizers. You have a bite, like what you just eaten, then when you go for another moutful, the tray's empty! [:o]

Paul, In my small bedroom (10x12) which I also use as a music listening room, my Moondogs output about 90dB at 75% volume (without audible distortion) on my Heresies 4 feet from my listening position. That is LOUD! But really it sounds more like 110dB. So yes small SET amps is pretty powerful for me.

BTW, this one is pretty funny!

90dB really sounds like 110dB? So are you arguing that you really don't know what different SPL's sound like?

Well I am about to put a review down on the Altmann BYOB AMP http://www.mother-of-tone.com/byob.htm. When you listen to this tiny little wonder it will change your views about BIG and SS.

Why
in the world would anyone brag about a battery for the power supply?
[+o(] Talk about one of the worst voltage sources out there - is there
even sufficient filtering in that small chip? Hey, at least it has the
option of a wooden volume knob!

I really love this quote:

I
really enjoy the sound of soft warm wood over that of cold harsh metal.
But why stop at wood when you can use a nice soft diaper instead?!?
Heck crap and diapers are one of the best symbiotic relationships out
there.

Seriously, why invest in crazy or even stupid amplifier ideas
when the room you're listening in is complete crap
. Granted, acoustical
treatment is rarely aesthetically acceptable, but if sonic
acceptability isn't the chief goal, then you're really not interested in
high-fidelity. And if that's the case, then why bother with the
esoteric crap? Just enjoy the bloody music [6]

He has 4 watts on a pair of Heresy's -- nah, I think he's right: 90dB probably does sound like 110dB. Distortion has that effect on people.

lol, I'm glad someone caught that inference [6]

....but I thought you liked low power amps?

Jeff,

Feel free if you see any flaws in my posts. I'm sure you have something of value to add to this...

I have nothing more of value to add since I realised that the audio hobby is a pretty stupid one. In the end, after spending a fortune to recreate that "live, unamplified music" thing in your living room, the final cost will be much more than buying a lifetime subscription to the city orchestra.

Now if you excuse me, I have some Pat Metheny records to destroy while enjoying my Chinese food.

What's this, Jeff? You've completely given up any hope for this audio hobby of ours? Now who should I look up to if not you?

I do miss hearing live orchestral performances and organ recitals, though...bein' broke will do that to ya, unfortunantly.