Who here is from the Disco era?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 44 staring 45 in the eyes and I hated that crap then and hate it now. My HS physics teacher was a serious DISCO addict and my buddy came into class one day with a vest over his Tee shirts the front of which said, "DISCO is cool". Our teacher yelled out yeah! Finally you guys get it. My buddy took his vest off and turned around revealing the back of his shirt, which said "but so is the wind and it blows!"

Disco sucked. Man I hated that
crap. Listened to Bob Segar, Ted Nugent at the timegood hetero Michigan rock-n-roll.

BTW the best disco album was the Rolling Stones Some Girls. The thing about it was the Stones showed those disco groups they could out disco
them[6].

I have Some Girls on MFSL. Miss You is a disco song but the rest is not. What a great LP. Some Girls, Shattered, Miss You, When the Whip Comes Down, Before They Make me Run, Faraway Eyes, Just My Imagination, Lies, Beast of Burden, Respectable. Their best since Exile on Main Street.

Looks like we have consensus.......Disco Sucked, but I made a ton of money spinning records partime while in the USCG and getting some Poo-tang.

Of course, my daily listening habits included HARD ROCK......Edgar Winter, and the whole package of Rock n' Roll bands/soloists. So easy to BURNOUT on Disco, and to this day, when certain songs play................time to turn the dial.

Thanks for everyone responses and keep "Boogie Fever" at bay.

What part of Disco sucked?

It had a good beat, it was easy to dance to, I'd give it a 94.

It helped develop the careers of people that have become mainstays in the music business to this day. Names that, although you may not play their music at home personally, EVERYONE knows.

It was loud, and the good places had good systems to play the tunes through.

If you could get on the dance floor with a girl and not trip over your own two feet, you had a good chance of getting kissed. Or more. [;)] And if more led to a LOT more, if anything bad came of it a month later, a shot of penicillin would probably take care of it, you weren't going to die.

There were mirrored dance floors. [:o]

It was the ONLY time I've ever cleared a spot on the dance floor. (Though I didn't know it at the time.) Back home from college for Christmas in 80, maybe 81, went to a grat disco place downtown, little of this, little of that, met a girl, we were dancing to something disco and the next song that came up was "Whip It" by Devo. Well, I'd just about the right amount of creativity and inhibition reliever ingested by one form or another, and proceded to totally punk out. Thrashing, flailing, feet not moving, just going nuts to the song with my eyes closed. About 1/2 way through the song, I opened my eyes to find that everyone had moved away to give me a good 20 foot circle, me in the center, and one of the high beam overhead spotlights was focused on me. It kinda took me aback for a second, like "WTF", but then I saw people were jamming along with me, so I just closed my eyes and finished the song, at which point there was a smattering of applause and someone on the pa saying something like "Give Mr DEVO a hand" or some such thing.

Oh Yeah... I like Disco cause I grew up in the 70's. It was, to me, what The Drifters were in 50's or the Beach Boys in the 60's. It defines an era, and when your most formative years are during that era, well, it sticks with you.

Disco sucked. Man I hated that crap. Listened to Bob Segar, Ted Nugent at the timegood hetero Michigan rock-n-roll.<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

BTW the best disco album was the Rolling Stones Some Girls. The thing about it was the Stones showed those disco groups they could out disco them[6].

I liked alott of Disco..... It was certainly better than todays cRAP and GANGSTERcRAP, which I unadmittedly give a listen to every once in a great while. Similar to you, I also listened to Judas Priest, AC/DC, Ozzy, etc. etc. etc..... but I never blocked Disco completely out. In fact, I liked quite a bit of it, there were many more good Disco artist (IMHO), then there are cRAP artist. Shoot, I even like to do a little memory lane every now and then at the office or in my home and play some. There was lots of good stuff, and you didn't have to like the BeeGees to get into the mood.

With that said..... "Do A Little Dance, Make A Little Love, Get Down Tonight".

Let's get one thing straight right now, SOME GIRLS IS NOT, WAS NOT, A DISCO ALBUM.....................One song does not an album make. There is some great songs on that album that have nothing to do with Disco.....................actually. it is one of the better Ron Wood on guitar albums.............I always found Some Girls to be more of a New York City type Rock album............the song Some Girls, bet you never had your mother listen to that song..........huh??? Should not have jumped in, but couldn't let that comment slide bye...............Disco Album...............indeed................

Disco was better than alot of the rock from the 70s, better than overwrought crap like Boston, Foreigner, Kansas, Yes, ELP, Rush and Led Zeppelin. Really the 70s were pretty bad rock music until the Ramones except for Thin Lizzy and Mountain. Oh, and AC-DC. And UFO.

OK, there was some good rock in the 70s before the Ramones. But lots of crap.

Just read this thread for the first time. Poppers................hadn't heard that in quite a while. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. The other (more appropriate in my opinion) name I've heard it referred to was RUSH. It was even sold in the head shops under the name of "Locker Room"?????? Not that I have any first hand knowledge of that particular drug however.