life span of phenolic diaphragms

Deang

Ti is common for diaphragms, but it doesn't perform well below 1000 to

1500 Hz. I think yhere is a HI-END japanese manufacturer that

uses Be for some of it's diaphragms. I've no idea what they

may sound like as the price is so many orders of magnitude beyond what

I can afford.

The life span is indefinite - I've got some in K-77/T-35s that must be 45 years old that sound indistinguishable from new diaphrams mounted on old magnets.

Somewhere in the "Dope From Hope" PWK talks about titanium diaphrams. As I recall, he said they tended to shatter when overdriven.

I have replace the phenolic diaphragms on my khorns, both the mid and tweets. Both were worn out. As a disclaimer they have lead a hard life. I have abused them with many different amps in various stages of disrepair. They were about 25 years old. The sound improvement was dramatic. There was some whiting at the accordion edges, along with some phenolic dust.

I believe the Koss KG75 (much appreciated $20.00 ear clips) headphones are Titanium. They have excellent bass. I wonder if Ti can be made to work for a low power application like a headphone but is no good for a compression driver.

I think there is something to aging on phenolic diaphragms but I am not sure of the mechanism of aging. I have found in replacing K-55V diaphragms, a total of 4 that had low output below 1 khz. I don't know how often that happens. In all those cases, the low end came back after replacing the diaphragm.

I have seen lots of K-77 pairs that had one with lower output than the other. When the diaphragms were replaced in both, output became very nearly equal.

Below is a picture of an old (left) and a new (right) K-77 diaphragm. I know that they get darker with age and am wondering if the darker coloring indicates added mass.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819317975138_thumb.jpg

That's interesting Bob, the things seem to change color as they age just like American Bridge fiberglass (MSA) hardhats. Those hats start out the same color as the new diaphragm and get darker as they age until they look just like your old diaphragm. AND they also get brittle and go out of date, the hats are only good for four years, after that they can crack like an eggshell.

The hat pictured went out of date in 1982. Makes one wonder.......

post-6913-13819317976268_thumb.jpg

hmmmnnnn...

does the phenolic dry/ harden, due to age..??

we all now know aluminum diaphrams work harden, and loose excursion ....

Duke,

What are the symptoms as the diaphragm is "starting" to go bad. Is it an overall loss of output, a loss at the highest frequencies, distortion? You have probably heard them in the various stages of decay.

-Tom

From a generic plastics non audio sense...

-phenolic is very rigid

-phenolic is very dimensionally stable over a broad temperature range

-phenolic is brittle; I expect it to be more brittle over time

great question

I suppose if no cracks can be seen under 10X or a little higher magnification they should be OK.

I am per plexed; I will ask around work...

I asked the question because I really dig the sound coming out of my JBL 2470's. As most of you know, a pair of replacement diaphragms for those are about $500. I'm trying to decide if it's worth ponying up the dough to have a spare set. I also worry about a time where you plain just can't get them anymore -- and you have to run the phenolics to get a good 450Hz out of them. I'd put the money towards new drivers if there was something, but there ain't.

Nice new sig, Dean.

Well, I think the fact that these things are essentially sealed in a compression driver or in a box their entire life, they are under less environmental stress. I'm thinking of the UV that hard hat saw in its day. It's reasonable to assume that they get progressively brittle, but it might not be so bad that their durability or lack thereof makes them unuseful.

I remember from my brief stint in mountain biking that Al has a finite lifespan when mechanical stress. A few years of good performance from an Aluminum bike could be all you'd get.