Klipsch...ummm...differences....

PhilMays

I have not been as fortunate as most on this forum in that I have only heard RF-7's, RF-3's, and KLF-20's. I may have heard a few others in our local store, however not a good environment to form an accurate opinion.

I have read a few posts recently that has sparked my interest. One post commented that the KG line was closer to the heritage line than the Ref line.

My question is this then. How do the past and present Klipsch lines "stack up". I realize this is very subjective but do the KG's compare to the KLF's and, etc. For instance, I found my KLF-20's to be more "full ranged" than my RF-7's. However I found the 7's to be more full of bass and perhaps a bit smoother overall.

Sorry if this is an impossible question and I am not an audiophile so I can only use the phrases and terms that ake sense to me.

Phil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heritage Line (never called this by Klipsch) begat the kg line...then the Legend (KLF)...begat the original Synergy line (KSP/KSB...Klipsch Synergy Professional/Klipsch Synergy Black?) begat the Reference line...then the new Synergy line...of course there were many others thrown in here and there over time...(Rebel, ShortHorn)...

I am sure better historians than I will chime in here but this is all I remember at this time until the coffee kicks in... ;)

Bill

I think I would rate the KG line at the bottom of the totem pole. I'll just list out my preferences in order from the top to the bottom

1. Lascala 2 + Stereo Subwoofage
  2. Cornwall 3 / Chorus II
  3. Forte 2
  4. THX Ultra2 System
  5. KHorn
  6. Heresy 3
  7. Reference
  8. Synergy F3
  9. Lascala 2 (by itself)
  10. Synergy (lower speakers)
  11. Promedia
  12. KSB 1.1
  13. KG-4

I think I got that in the right order. The only speakers I don't have much time with are the Tangents and KLF series. I would expect the Tangents to be down with the KG series and the KLF to be on par with the Reference stuff....though, it might even get up there with the Cornwall and Chorus II because it's a 3-way. It gets a bit more complicated when you include subwoofers into the mix. For example, the lascala sucks on its own, but with a sub it's top of the charts...

Granted, this is all my opinion and everyone feels differently about everything but it gives you an idea of where I'm coming from.

lol, well I have feeling everyone is going to put the KHorns at the top of the list...and then Coytee is going to put the Jubilees at the top of his list. And a lot more people are going to put the lascala up to number 2 because "it's fully hornloaded" despite it's lacking low frequency extension. It really is a hard list to compile because the low frequency extension needs of everyone is going to be vastly different. The lowest melodies I listen to are in the 25Hz range, so you can imagine how wierd it sounds when the melody isn't present [^o)]

It's really sad that a lot of these impressions come down to the bass response...it makes me sound like a punk teenager wanting all the boom boom, let's get the girls dancing in the room. Honest, I care more about the imaging and soundstage than blasting my brains out with bass - but I would argue that the bass is the foundation for setting all them other fancy terms.

I was thinking the other day....it's really sad for someone to even be able to rank speakers within a company's lineup. I really wish I could do this with every speaker brand out there, but that would get real crazy real fast. I've stopped listening to other brands of speakers probably 4 or 5 years ago. Everytime I try to go out and listen to something vastly different, like magnepans or B&W's, I just end up coming back home to my Klipsch, wondering what the heck I was thinking... [Y]

I almost put this in 2-channel, but decided not to. I realize this is really subjective.

When it comes to Klipsch, I read about the top line heritage stuff, referance line-up, and to a much lesser extent KLF stuff. But never really read much talk about Chorus, KG and the others.

I ask because one can get that stuff on ebay very reasonably from time-to-time. I am studying which way to go on a 2-channel set-up.

Thanks for the info

My neighbor's house is about 30 feet away from me with a garage in the way of their living space. Sometimes I would get calls from my previous neighbors (we got along real well) that maybe I could turn it down. I would say (if I could hear the phone ring) come on over and bring your favorite stuff, it sounds great here. They would say, we don't have to we can hear it just fine in our kitchen! Forte II's rock as well.

I really like the sound of Forte II and Chorus II. Also had the Epic CF4's here for a while and they're right in that ballpark. I care less for the KG lineup, but love my little ksb1.1's. Prefer my RB3's to the RB5's.

A lot of it is personal taste, listening habits and THE ROOM (right Doc?[;)])

Brought some Mirage Omnidirectional speakers home this weekend for a trial run. This should be REALLY different!

Michael

Phil,

You asked about the Chorus (II) and others (Forte' (II) and Quartet...these are sometimes called "extended Heritage" as they are similar to the Heritage line and sold alongside them before many of these other lines came about...incidently, the kgs (kg2, kg4) were also sold alongside the Heritage and extended Heritage speakers...they were more value priced...it seems that the kgs are not getting a lot of love but the kg4s have a fierce following and I really enjoyed my kg2s while waiting for me to FINALLY get Heresys...

Bill

No problem Michael.....we all hear different. By the way....I know a certain someone who left his car windows down and the sawdust went everywhere! (I feel yucky about that)

Please continue back on topic, don't let me derail this thread.

......Klipsch...UMMM...differences.......