dtels little fire

dtel's niece

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wot, couldn't find any smaller sticks to start the fire? lol

We put on a bonfire like this once a year at church. We gotta get permission from the fire department since there are so many houses nearby, but it's all well controlled. I'm sure the heat was killer within 10 feet of the blaze [;)] There's always a seperate small fire (more like just hot coals) for roasting marshmallows.

• Moderators

if ya set those up lincoln log style (criss cross) and made a proper fire lay out if it, you could have started it with a handful of straw, not 11 gallons of fuel.

I don't know about that Colter. We had a LOT of rain the past couple of days. I don't think a few bales of straw would have started that wood it was so wet.l

I agree with Tom. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee don't ever have gasoline anywhere NEAR the fire. I can't find my pics here at home (I know I have them at work). I started a "bonfire" about 100 times larger than that from a slash pile some loggers created. Thing was probably over 100' long, 50' wide and maybe 30' tall at it's peak. I started it with less than 2 gallons of diesel fuel AND didn't start it until a day when we had rain the ENTIRE night before and the morning OF the fire.

crud...where is that pic...My fire was so big at it's peak, people across the lake called the fire department telling them "my side" of the lake was on fire!! About 3:00 in the morning (as in 3:00 A.M.), I was sitting there, keeping warm because of the flames when I saw a light bouncing towards me. Was the Sheriff. He looked at me and said "what you up to". I thought that was a pretty stupid question, so I said, "I'm burning".

"you know if you're going to burn, you have to BE HERE, until the fire is out????" he asked with a bit of redneck "boy" unspoken afterwards.

Unbeliveing what I was hearing, I said "Well, it IS 3:00 and I'm here, aren't I?"

"How you going to put it out" he asked (which I thought was another STUPID question, seeing as I had to START it to have it going?)

"well...... uh... seeing as I DO have a fire permit, it DID rain all day today, I DO have my cellphone with me, I ALSO have my full sized (industrial) backhoe with me, Oh, and ALSO, the fire department was out LAST week with their bulldozer, PREPPING this fire FOR me, I uh... think I'm probably ok??"

With that, he said "have a nice evening"

About 10 minutes after HE left, I then went home & went to bed. [6]

Anyways, I put diesel in a garden type, pressure can so I can soak a spot, light it and then from a distance, put a spray down to it and "walk" the flames around if/as needed. I (as well as everyone else I'm sure) MUCH prefer to see/harass the Dtel's at the next opportunity, rather than talking about how nice anyone 'was'.

Christy... lay the law on them!!! You want toasted marshmellows, NOT toasted Dtels!!

Sorry if I misunderstood any facts and over reacted. I just take safety about as serious as anything and using gasoline.....[N]

Screw the gas and diesel fuel - that's for amateurs. Since you guys are so close to Stennis Space Center, you should've made a trip over there, gotten some liquid oxygen, and did what George Goble did.....

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/

Tom

liquid oxygen technically is not flammable its really an oxidizer that helps a flame go on fire... Also liquid oxygen in that form is probably deadly for most people to handle that and if they put that in the car they would probably get high [:P]

• Moderators

Screw the gas and diesel fuel - that's for amateurs. Since you guys are so close to Stennis Space Center, you should've made a trip over there, gotten some liquid oxygen, and did what George Goble did.....

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/

Tom

We live about 20 miles away, close enough that you can feel the low freq bass and it sometimes can rattle a window when they test a rocket engine.

About the gas, I had put the gas in small containers like 16 oz and a few 2 liter coke bottles and put them inside the pile of logs. A little while before lighting I put a few gallons of diesel on the outside to soak in the logs, the logs were wet from 3" of rain the day before. When it was time to light it I through a couple more gallons of diesel on the outside of the logs, then lit a old rag and through it on the logs. It somewhat lit , I then threw a 16 oz open bottle of gas where the other containers of gas was, that lit a little. The diesel was not geting hot enough to light so I put some diesel in a bucket and threw it where it had started to light to get enough heat to light the rest of the diesel . When the rest of the diesel got hot enough it lit, to tell the truth you could hardly tell when the containers of gas melted and the gas started to burn ! The only reason I put the gas was to try and get the diesel hot enough to light, it may have helped ?

The whole time there was only one or two people and they were 100 feet away everybody else was 300 feet away on the other side of the pond.

And the picture with the people by the fire was not here it was my fire and the people were added, not by me, you could not sit that close if you wanted to. Everyone stayed on the other side of the pond and shot fireworks and listened to music.

No rednecks or Coonass were harmed in the making of this fire !

I lit it and was about as safe as could be lighting tons of logs, the only idiot close enough to be hurt was me, and that was the last person I wanted to hurt ! And I don't like pain .

And for the tree loving people, and I know y'all are out there. ALL the trees were taken from my sisters property, a mile away. Where the house is going to sit, so I am clearing so they were going to be cut down anyway. And if it helps I still have planted more trees than I have ever killed in the last 14 years of landscaping, if that counts.[;)]