Well guys...i turned to the tube side

33klfan

I purchased dylanl's scott 233 yesterday. I cleaned the top off a little bit. Now it looks gorgeous. I plugged it in and it sounds fantastic. The loudness on this amp sounds much better than on the 299. With rock music, it's a little much so i have to turn back the bass control a little bit. The bass is real tight and mids are sweet, and it's all around a huge difference than from the 299 even though i didn't use loudness on that one. Maybe the inputs the reason. The 233 has extra, which i put cd in, and the 299 only had tape or tuner and i put the cd in tape. I don't know if tape has a different level than extra or not. Norah Jones sounded amazing with loudness on. With loudness off, it's not near as great. I haven't listened to it much yet. I've been busy so only one cd under my belt but i loved it. So much rich detail.

I have one issue. I don't know if the 233's are like this or not, but i notice more noise out of the fronts than the 299 when no music is being played through. It's mainly the right speaker and something with the balance. When i put the balance to the left halfway, the right speaker noise goes away. The left channel stays the same whereve the balance is, but the right channel starts making noise halfway on the left side. I don't know what this means but i hope i can get rid of the noise. You can notice it from the listening position. It's only the right channel. I love it except for this and now that i know it's there it stands out like a sore thumb. Hope someone can help with this. Thanks.

Is the noise a hiss or other electrical noise? Is it there with the volume turned all the way down? If so, is it probably something in the input stage, and may just be a noisy tube.

Tubes - you love 'em or you hate 'em. Sometimes both at the same time.

Bruce

It's kind of a buzzing noise too. Yeah, it does it with the volume knob down the whole way. If it's the input stage, what's that mean? If it's a noisy tube, which tube would it possibly be. I have 4 spare power tubes, 7591. I can soon get EI (4) 12ax7 tubes for free. Right now there are 2 jan phillips 12ax7 tubes, 1 GE 12ax7, and 1 telefunken 12ax7, if i made out the writing correctly, so they aren't a matched quad. The JJ 7591 are wild. They have blue circles on 2 sides of each tube. I guess that's normal. Any help to eliminate this would be appreciated. I noticed the cord was replaced to i'm positive because it has a cord with a polarized end. Thanks.

Let this thread be about my new experience with tubes. I can start a new one about the problem i'm having. I'll stop by the stereo shoppe today to see if i can borrow some 12ax7's to see if that helps. I don't know what it would be if it doesn't. I hope i can take care of this cause this is going to be a downer even though i love the amp for everything else except this. Just my luck.

Welcome to the world of tubes. They do lots of things well - they can make good music, and give you heartache as well. The little noises you're complaining of may very well be a preamp tube problem. Then again it may not. You could spend good money fixing something that's not the problem. If it's not a preamp tube it may be something that will be difficult to track down without spending lots of $$$. So I reckon don't play around with the amp for a little while. Listen and see if there are any other problems you would like fixed. Then decide if you like the amplifier. If you do - get it properly serviced by a qualified technician (NOSValves?)

They aren't a pain. It's just if you got your first tube amp and you noticed this i doubt you would be exactly 100% happy. Other than this i love it. It's like going to a new resaurant for the first time and getting cold lasagnia, like i did at Macaroni Grill. I'll be fine. I hope new tubes do the trick.

They aren't a pain. It's just if you got your first tube amp and you noticed this i doubt you would be exactly 100% happy. Other than this i love it. It's like going to a new resaurant for the first time and getting cold lasagnia, like i did at Macaroni Grill. I'll be fine. I hope new tubes do the trick.

Not sure i'd equate tubes to Macaroni Grill!

Josh