Just bought a mc2105 and c 26 for 50 bucks, have some questions.

Dax617

Both pieces power up, and I was able to get sound from the left channel but not the right, although the power meter is working for both. I have found the service manual on line but not the owners or operation manual. Does anybody know what the input coupling switch @ the rear of the mc2105 does? The options are "direct" or "normal".

Thanks

This is a very difficult amp and pre-amp to work on. You push here, it gives there, you push there it gives here. Not worth it for you. You should sell it to me.

The face plates and lettering are in good cond. Only a little bit of "bubbling" around the headphone jacks. There is some surface rust on the chassis. I am eager to audition this duo on my khorns. see if Ilike the basic sound and maybe recondition them depending on price.

It seems the c26 has issues as well as the mc2105. The preamp makes sound untill the volume is 1/4 then cuts out. Tried a different preamp thru the power amp -sound @ one channel only. then I tried the normal position @ the rear input coupling switch. No sound. Then I switched it back to direct- no sound.Meters are still pumping for both channels. Why would anyone sell mc euipment for $50? Ill post with updates. Any mcintosh owners feel free to advise.

It seems the c26 has issues as well as the mc2105. The preamp makes sound untill the volume is 1/4 then cuts out. Tried a different preamp thru the power amp -sound @ one channel only. then I tried the normal position @ the rear input coupling switch. No sound. Then I switched it back to direct- no sound.Meters are still pumping for both channels. Why would anyone sell mc euipment for $50? Ill post with updates. Any mcintosh owners feel free to advise.

I can understand equipment being sold for some low amount of cash. The senerio could be they were free to the individual and the individual took the items to get repair estimates that came in too high. It is sometimes better to get something out of the deal than to soak more into it and continue to have the question of future uncertainty.

I was with TC yesterday when we hooked these up. I suspect the
volume pot on the pre needs some bad cleaning., but with meters showing
power going through to both sides of the amp and sound only coming out
of one channel maybe it's not too bad.

Nice looking beasties with only one of the lights out and pretty
amazing they lit up at all since they been sittting in a basement for
years.

TC check your forum Inbox for info on the TEAC dolby noise supppresor that also came along with the deal.

Come on you Macsters give us a hand here.

Both pieces power up, and I was able to get sound from the left channel but not the right, although the power meter is working for both. I have found the service manual on line but not the owners or operation manual. Does anybody know what the input coupling switch @ the rear of the mc2105 does? The options are "direct" or "normal".

Thanks

The input coupling switch when in the direct position will bypass a .22mfd input coupling capacitor that is in the input circuit when the switch is in the normal position. Basically the capacitor is their to block any DC Voltage Offset from say a pre-amp that might get into the amplifier otherwise. The safe way to use the amplifier is with this switch in the normal position if your not sure if a pre-amp has any DC Offset on its Output!

edit: Actually after looking at the schematic a little closer the .22mfd would just block any DC Voltage from the Level Control(which you wouldn't want also) because Mac used a .47mfd right after the Level Control which would also serve to block any DC Voltage from the Input Gain Stages so I'm curious what Mac would consider the benefits of using the Direct Mode Option.

If Both Power Meters appear to be working normal with the same signal being feed to both left/right channels then you might want to check out the Speaker ON/Off Switch located to the right of the Headphone Jack. If it happens to not be making good connections you could loose one channel and the power meters would still register as normal. If this switch hasn't been used much it could just not be making good connection and maybe needs some contact cleaner.

You might try a pair of Headphones to see if you have sound from them on both channels.

mike tn[:)]

Send it to Terry DeWick

http://mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm

He IS the McIntosh man! Nice guy to boot and many many people say, charges WAY to little for what he does. He's an authroized McIntosh service center. My understanding is, he won't "tweek" things to flavor their sound, he will put them back to McIntosh's specs. Probably not fair of me to put words into his mouth but I DO think he said something of that flavor to me once (when speaking of my MC-30's)

Great replies, all things I'll look into. Thank you for the input. My friend bought these on my behalf and I cannot fault the purchase for the money, he is looking out for me. Who knows I might get an 8b out of it like Thebes. I am just trying to pick up the pieces. In my experience if the power meters are showing signal the channels are there. Remember I am only a few hours into this venture and I am not committed. I have a working system. What is he best contact cleaner? I went to rat shack and all they had was this lubricant/cleaner/non flammable. I have some stuff from the way back from Dad that destroys the ecosystem @ work. I"ll try that tomorrow.Does anybody know if any of these solvents damage the face plate in any way? If you think it is better to buy a system working and complete for 1000 (what you would pay for the combo,possibly) or better to gamble let"s hear it.

Regarding the amp: I had the same problem with my 2155. Both meters functioning and one channel out. Turned out to be a very inexpensive part. I forget what it was called but I'll call the tech that fixed it tomorrow and post the info then. Very common on Mac gear, especially when it has been dormant for a spell.