OT: I'm going on a beer only diet.

sputnik

Many diets have what is called a "free day". Perhaps we can consider your business lunch that!

I like you stick-toit-ability. Not to worry Sputnick. I'm going to dinner shortly. I'll have Tuna for an appitizer and perhaps the lamb for dinner. I'll wash it down with a few 12 year McCallan scotch's.....but all along, I'll be thinking about you!!!!

Phil,

I'll hoist a beer in your honor as I'm freezing my butt off (literally) during dinner tonight.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooooo. It took ten minutes to work the puzzle after drinking the breakfast beer. I'm still hanging in there with one day to go. One of our clients bought me lunch yesterday so I had to cheat on the diet and eat a salad instead of drinking two beers for lunch. I hope that damn salad didn't wreck the diet. I read somewhere that it takes about ten kilocalories (10 food calories) to raise the temp of a beer to body temp.

hmm beer is around 35 degrees farenheit (1.6666666666666667) Celsuis

1 beer = 375 ml

1 calorie = the amount of energy need to raise on cc (also one mL) one degree celsius

human being average temperature 98.5 (36.94444444444444 C)

36.94 - 1.66 = 35.28 degree Celsius difference

375*35.28 = 13230 calories required to raise the beer to body temperature. BUT I SAID calories not Calories. 1 Calorie is 1000 calories or a kilocalorie. All food labeled calories is a kilocalorie. So the amount of food calories required to warm up the beer to body temperature is 13230/1000 which only equals to

13.23 Calories..... so Sputnik you read right but then again that is perfect equation chemistry meaning there if it were done in perfect situations. I would say maybe 20 Calories.....

Results:

I ended the beer diet on Monday and went back to normal eating. On Monday, before eating, it looked like I lost about eight pounds (188 to 180 lbs). Two days later now, I weighed in at 182 lbs and it looks realistically like I lost about five or so pounds since last Thursday. I reclaimed my previous belt notch so I do occupy less volume and this morning's sudoku puzzle went just fine (so no additional brain damage beyond my normal dementia). My average weight range for the last few years is between 170 and 175 lbs and my super fit weight in my twenties and thirties was 155 to 160 lbs. So, I still have ways to go to shake off the holiday blub and I'll never be 25 again but I think the four day beer diet at least worked as a transition to break out of the holiday sloth and contiuous grazing on rich food to get back to normal eating habits and feeling a higher energy level.

Regarding the Metamucil comments.... If there's any metamucil people here, I suggest trying Konsyl. It's like a concentrated (fiber-wise) version of Metamucil so you get to drink less of it. I forgot the exact grams, etc. but where one would drink 3 glasses (teaspoons) of metamucil - one might be able to get away with 1.5ish teaspoons of Konsyl. I'm pretty sold on the concept as this country has big issues with colon health/cancer, etc. and it's good to blow things out at least once in a while.... but I don't understand the reason why doctors say to take it to lower cholesterol.

Regarding the Metamucil comments.... If there's any metamucil people here, I suggest trying Konsyl. It's like a concentrated (fiber-wise) version of Metamucil so you get to drink less of it. I forgot the exact grams, etc. but where one would drink 3 glasses (teaspoons) of metamucil - one might be able to get away with 1.5ish teaspoons of Konsyl. I'm pretty sold on the concept as this country has big issues with colon health/cancer, etc. and it's good to blow things out at least once in a while.... but I don't understand the reason why doctors say to take it to lower cholesterol.

It can lower cholesterol by interacting with your intestines to create short chain fatty acids which can help supress your liver's ability to absorb cholesterol. I am unaware that fiber itself attaches itself to cholesterol anymore than anything else. I will say insoluble fiber will absorb water (softens stools) so its important to take it with a glass of water even in pill form. The best way to get fiber is naturally, but like most americans I get no where close to 24 grams a day.

so how did you manage to not feel hungry?

I never really felt that hungry, I think the beer just made me feel full. A day after starting the beer diet, I felt more energy even though I wasn't eating anything - I think it was just a function of geting all of the sugar and other junk out of my system. Of course, I shouldn't call this a beer diet since it would really be more of a beer fast but it did give me the needed jolt to get out of the holiday eating habits that I allowed myself to indulge in.

I knew back in November, with all that was planned for the holidays, I was going to pig out for a month so I just went with it rather than try to moderate. Gluttony is fun but I was shocked by how quickly the weight went on - I thought that one massive dose of high calorie eating couldn't possibly have such an effect. I'm just guessing, but I could've been taking in up to 5,000 calories a day for almost a month.

It was fun to pig out with abandon for a while but that kind of eating and stepping away from my regular exercise really dragged down my metabolism. I'm not in my teens anymore. I can really see now how people can get trapped into a vicious circle resulting in obesity for I have stood on the edge and looked into the abyss. It was blessed beer that pulled me back [*-)][:)].