Baby Panda Cam

meagain

I've been watching this baby Panda from the Atlanta Zoo zoomed up on my screen. I think they only recently introduced her to the outside and she just learned to walk (if one could call it that). The inside enclosure is about 3-4 rooms (dens). Each entrance is like a curb that she must crawl over which usually results in a big tumble. It's cool watching mom & her together.

I think they estimate there's around 1500 wild Pandas in the world and about 100 in captivity. I believe this baby is the 5th born in the USA in the last 6 years or so. They only have the cam running during office hours for about 6 hours. They are very active tho the baby is sleeping quite a bit today. Just wanted to share cuz it's darned cute & interesting.

http://www.zooatlanta.org/animals_panda_cam.php4

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty addicted to watching that baby panda. Now, I just went there and it's offline. It's never offline. Hmmm.... I just can't imagine how they survive in the wild even IF they had no habitat loss or predators. Baby panda is not the sharpest tool in the shed. It almost seems to confuse it's head from it's butt quite often to boot.

• Moderators

I've been watching this baby Panda from the Atlanta Zoo zoomed up on my screen.

Meagain,

I am really glad you posted this thing about the webcam, it made me realize something very important. I have been stareing at your Avtar for about 2 hours a night wondering when he was going to just stay in the water instead of jumping right back out after he jumped in. I thought it was a web cam and that this was just a very stupid penguin or that the water was just to cold, even for a penguin. I was waiting to see if the water was going to warm up so that the penguin would stay under water, but he just keeps jumping right back up and starting all over again. At first I thought it might be a video loop because it never got dark, but then I remembered that the sun is out 24 hours a day at the South Pole this time of year so I was not really too concerned about that.

Now, after seeing a real web cam, I realize that your avtar is not a webcam at all. If you look real close you can tell that the markings on the penguin change from time to time, leading me to believe that this is Hollywood magic, pure and simple. Just like Lassie, when you are not looking, they substitute another penguin in there to start the jumping sequence all over again. I am sure this is to allow the penguins time to rest, eat, sleep, etc. (they have a very strong union you know, second only to SAG).

It took awhile, but I figured it out all on my own. I just didn't fall off a turnip truck you know. Well now I have plenty to keep me amused over the weekend between the panda cam and trying to figure out exactly how many penguins they have in rotation on your avtar. Thanks for the link.

Travis