La Scala IIs or Klipschorns For Home Theater

rmlowz

I have the Klipsch upgrade bug again! I know this has been hashed out a thousand times. Help me out without reading all the posts and tell me the differance in sound between the 2 speakers. I plan on buying brand new from Klipsch. I am not interested in any used. I had the Klipsch THX system and the RF 83 system already. It would be for home theater only. Is the Klipschorns worth $1,000.00 each more? Would this be a upgrade or lateral move from what I have had?? What do my forum friends think?

Thanks,

rmlowz

I personally would prefer what I have listed below to the Klipsch THX ultra II system. If I could fit RF-7's all of the way around I feel that would be even more awesome for Home Theater. That being said, the only system I have heard (in the Klipsch line) that I would consider trading My HT for was the LaScala/THX dual subs that I listened to at the Klipsch Pilgrimage year before last.

My one concern (along with the cost difference and space requirements) was that the movie clips we heard were from a higher resolution Dolby Digital promotional disk and that may have skewed the results of what I was hearing compared to the same tracks on the actual DVD I enjoy at my house.

I can't comment on the difference between the LaScalas and the K-horns but wish I was in a position to.[;)]

You probably know what I'm going to say.

I'll say it anyway!! [:o]

In my opinion, buying new (which I DO applaud!!), you left out another option. For a similar price (or perhaps a reasonable amount more) you can make the question do you want LaScala II's or the Jubilee's as opposed to the Khorn.

Are you thinking about 5 LaScala/Khorns?? or starting with two?

Something to think about... if you can live with the LOOKS of the Jubilee (and for additional price, it can be "finished" from the factory with their stock veneers) then it's a no brainer. The Jubilee was designed to replace the Khorn and frankly, steps all over it.....or at least, the pair I owned. I've never heard a AK-5 Khorn.

What I find interesting from a HT perspective is, you could obtain some surround (old style) LaScala boxes and use the Jubilee horn on top, as your upper end for the LaScalas. Meaning, you could run your LaScalas in a 2 way format with the same matched K-402 horn the Jubilee uses.

The Jubilee isn't as persnickety as the Khorn, wanting to be tight into a corner and all. It gives you a lot more flexibility of placement. Hard to go wrong with 109 db/w either.

Do a search on Jubilee and start reading. You're welcome to PM me, email me or even phone me if you want (I have an 800#).

If you go with LaScala II's (which IMHO are a clear improvement over the original's, and I've owned some since 1979) or Khorns, you certainly can't go wrong. I think though, if you heard the Jubilee's, you'd possibly come to the thought that going that route might be more "right".

All depends on what you want and "Mr. Budget" of course. If you're near me, you'd be welcome to give them a listen. Heck...even if you are NOT near me, you're welcome to give them a listen... all comes down to how far you want to drive/fly [;)]

[:D]

The Klipschorn extends further into the bass regions, and has an overall larger sound despite having the same components.

If you are going for it, go all the way - go Klipschorn!

I have 4 of them with a La Scala center and let me tell you most HT system don't even come close. I have had Cornwall II's, Belle's, and now Heresy's as rear effects/centers and I came to the conclusion that is all I really needed with 4 Klipschorn's. I run dual Velodyne 15" Servo subwoofers as well. Talk about the HT from hell!

Hello Coytee,

Thanks for your opinion, I would start out with 2 or 3 speakers. I don't know if you can order odd numbers. The Jubilee route sounds like to much work and amplification. I am not a DIY person. I change out often every year or so. I think maybe 3 Lascalla IIs in the front for starters. my corners maybe to far apart and a AV rack might be in the way if the Klipschorns need to be in the corner. I really do not know anything about this Heritage line. I am learning and I know I come to the right place. What I don't understand is the drivers and horns are the same sizes in each of the speakers. I guess a different cabinet design to get a different sound. all opinons are appreciated.

Thanks,

rmlowz

Thanks for your opinion, I would start out with 2 or 3 speakers. I don't know if you can order odd numbers.

Regarding Jubilees, you can. I would presume you could with the others but I don't know that.

The Jubilee route sounds like to much work and amplification.

No more work/amplification than a Khorn might be if you use a passive crossover in it.

I am not a DIY person. I change out often every year or so. I think maybe 3 Lascalla IIs in the front for starters. my corners maybe to far apart and a AV rack might be in the way if the Klipschorns need to be in the corner.

The Jubilees in lieu of Khorns will "shrink" your room requirements. Meaning, in my home, I get simiar "impact" from the Jubilees at 30' that I had with the Khorns at 10'.

I really do not know anything about this Heritage line. I am learning and I know I come to the right place. What I don't understand is the drivers and horns are the same sizes in each of the speakers.

The LaScala & Khorns use the same drivers. It's the cabinet design that utilizes those drivers (mainly the woofer) differently. The Jubilee uses entirely different drivers. It shares nothing with the other two as far as drivers and even, horn design. Except the fact that it was originally designed to replace the Klipschorn. So, if someone DOES consider getting new Khorns, contemplating the Jubilee is really similar to contemplating getting the Klipschorn II, just better! [:D]

I guess a different cabinet design to get a different sound. all opinons are appreciated.

Oops, you already knew that!~

All that said, I think a LaScala HT system, or a Khorn HT system or (salivate) a Jubilee HT system would ALL be to die for!! You'd be hard pressed to go wrong with any of them. I'm not pimping Jubilees simply because I own some (well, maybe 35% [:P]). Seriously though... I'm saying what I'm saying because I've owned LaScalas and Khorns. I've seen the real world difference the Jubilee can make in the home and it's not insignificant.

Keep us appraised of what ever you do!

[Y]

I would do 3 LAS2s across the front. The new LAS2 is an amazing speaker. Sure it does not hit as low as the Khorn or Jub, but IMO, being able to have your HT speakers at 60 degree spread and have room for a decent size screen is critical for a good HT.

3 jubs would not leave any room for a screen. I would only consider Khorns if your room is optimal for location, or you are building a room. The LAS2 has a good size and allow you to move your speakers arround to optimize.

To make up on the low end, add a pair of THX Ultra 2 subs.

JM

Hello,

There was nothing wrong at all with the Klipsch THX sytem that I had.I had it for over two years and got bored with it. I am looking for something better maybe with the Klipschorns, La Scallas or Jubilees. I am now doing some research on the pro cinema stuff. Finding somthing better is hard to do. I have the Def Tech 7000SCs, 3000 center and 4 of the BPVX/P rears with a Danely DTS 20 and a Velodyne DD18. It is better but I have had it for almost a year and I am geting bored with it also. I will keep the subs I am now looking for a new speaker package.

Thanks,

rmlowz

"got bored with it" lol....sounds like an old girlfriend of mine as she showed me the door... lol [6] (oops, did I just admit that? [:$] )

Here's an approach you might consider... surely SOMEONE "near" you (hour drive ?) has some LaScalas or perhaps Khorns that could give you an opportunity to at least hear the beasts in SOME kind of format. If so, you will have a reference point and can go from there.

You might be totally blown away by the LaScala sound and be 100% content for that (for the next 18 months [A] ) Then if you want to move up, you can go to the Khorns and be happy with those for perhaps 36 months... [A]...you get the idea.

Ok, so I'm being somewhat of a brat. Seriously though, there has to be someone relatively near you so you can at least get a small audition and create a starting point. With your Danely, you can probably get by with ANY of the speakers and not want for much more thump. After all I've read on the DTS 20, I'm kind of intrigued as to how it would sound on the Jubilees. (you wanna drag it up here and we'll audition each others stuff? [:P])

I'm intrigued with you getting bored... Might I ask what kind of sound you're after? (I'm not familiar with the Def Tech stuff at all)

Do you want high dynamics? High clarity? Lots of visceral impact? (perhaps the Def Tech does all that, I don't know)

I DO know that with the Heritage line, you are clearly walking down that path, just a matter of degree & placement in room issues. The word I use most often is they sound "BIG".

I might want to add... if your room is big enough (with corners) to "handle" Khorns, then it is big enough to handle Jubilees. I would even go further to say, if your room will NOT handle Khorns (no good corners) you can STILL maybe get by with Jubilees as they do not 'require' to be tight into the corner like Khorns do.

Obviously, there can be other room issues making a Jubilee hard to fit but I'd contend that the Jubilee will have the placement ease that the LaScala has (needs no corner), yet the better sonic benefits the Khorn has. Kind of a best of both worlds.

(ok, so I'm now up to 45% pimp)

[:D]

Something else to consider (if it's sound your after and can live with 'ugly' visuals).

Seems the K402 horn (on the Jubilee) is a lot better horn than the smaller horns on the LaScala & Khorns.

You could buy some cheap (ugly/beat up?) LaScala boxes with plans on using the woofer section ONLY (since you have the subs). You could then mount the K402 on top of them and get some of the benefits of the 402 over the other horns. You would run the setup as a 2-way. I'd bet that would also be a killer setup.

Offer to audition here is still open, just for the record.

[Y]

Hello Coytee,

I will post a new thread asking some nice forum freind to see if I can listen to their Klipschorn or La Scallas. The Def Tech is a differant sound bipolar. They are firing out the back and front, two woofers, one tweeter out the front and the same configuration firing out the back with three fourteen inch woofers one active two passive. I said in my earlier post that it is better. What I should have said it is a different sound. Thinking it over, It was not good manners saying some other product is better on the Klipsch forum. I am still pursuing the Jubilees or Klipschorns, La Scallas or something in the pro cinema line. As for the sound I am looking for, I have asked myself that question since my first system when I was sixteen. I stiil am asking that question I will be fifty in April. My last three systems where the Klipsch THX, RF83 flagship system and now the Def Tech. They where all my last system for the next five years. Some things just dont work out like you had it planned. Any way I am stiil in pursuit of the last system that will make me have the WOW factor for the next five years.

Thanks,

rmlowz

I am stiil in pursuit of the last system that will make me have the WOW factor for the next five years.

Now THAT helps a great deal. I'm afraid I can rule the Jubilees OUT for you as they'd clearly take care of you for the next fifteen years...

[;)]

Rich, you might look at Tom's comments here

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/862848.aspx thread # 863128 (by TBrennan)

He was here this past Saturday for around 5 hours. We had a great visit. Evidently, he's been around horns all his life, been involved in horn clubs and in general, forgotten more about this kind of stuff in the last 2 days then I've ever known.