I Swear, It's Like Pulling Teeth

And actually, it is!! Our 6 yr old daughter had one of her upper front teeth loose, but not that loose, and the new tooth was already coming in behind it. My wife happened to have her at the doc last week for a check on a cold and had him take a glance at it, he said it really needed to come out or it could lead to complications with the new tooth coming in. Daughter whined about it for a couple days, not wanting to have it pulled out, and of course I was telling her horror stories so when the time came it didn't seem as bad as it could have been.

Tonight I was downstairs working on some wood stuff, daughter and wife came down after I had kissed her goodnight/go to sleep, and said she'd decided she was feeling brave enough to have the tooth pulled out. Which of course meant I had to be suddenly brave enough to intentionally inflict pain on my daughter, albeit for a good reason. I went over to one of my tackle bins, pulled out a spool of 60 lb Power Pro, and cut off a 20" piece. Made a loop on one end a couple of my fingers would fit into nicely, made a slip knot on the other end. Tied the slip around said tooth. Got it tight. About then daughter started to wimper/cry, it hurt, I'm sure it slipped up and was hitting her gums, so I stuck two fingers in my loop of line and slapped my knee with the palm of the hand that was in the loop.

Things went far better than I had expected. Tooth came out first try, daughter cried but not really, was better in one minute as her and my wife were going up the stairs, 30 minutes later she was all smiles with space for the new tooth to come in and hopefully save us $X,000 on braces, the rest of her teeth are all very nicely aligned. Now I just have to buck up a little extra 'Tooth Fairy Money' for pain and suffering.

I'm curious what methods other folks have used to get that 'wiggles but won't come out' tooth to go see the Tooth Fairy. I'd recommend the Power Pro with two loops method, worked great for us.

good lord I thought that sh!t was a myth, i didnt know people actually do that

I dont think i could if I were a father

BTW

Garage has been open for over a year now, bought out the partner and now have enough money to start being able to look into the inventory stuff we had talked about, money saved = paycheck for me. Thanks for the advise last year Dont know if i ever said that or not

Wayne

I thought about that, but wasn't too sure about pulling the tooth out forward, thought it would work better to pull it down in the natural direction it points.

Although we did kid her about the door thing for a couple days, she was sure we were going to do terrible things to her. [6]

(Disclaimer: No children were actually frightened nor fearful for their safety in the events leading to this post.)

good lord I thought that sh!t was a myth, i didnt know people actually do that

I dont think i could if I were a father

Actually, I wasn't sure I could when it came down to it. I got a queasy feeling in my stomach when I started to tie the slip knot around her tooth, she was scared and holding onto Mom, I was worried it wasn't going to come out on the first try and we'd all be in agony as we tried time and again to get it out, but it HAD to come out, the new tooth was being forced to grow at a bad backwards angle and needed somewhere to go.

BTW

Garage has been open for over a year now, bought out the partner and now have enough money to start being able to look into the inventory stuff we had talked about, money saved = paycheck for me. Thanks for the advise last year Dont know if i ever said that or not

Wayne

NP, glad things worked out for the best. I've often wondered about how things had been going after we talked. That whole "paycheck for me" thing is kinda a nice bonus when it happens. We should hook up again, I've got a little more info on inventory stuff/suppliers that might save you a bunch of money.

I'd like that!

my nest egg is small so once I get through these winter months I will be gearing up for an inventory. As it is the last couple weeks have been kinda breaking even, with a couple of profit days.

make a sandwich board "free pediatric tooth removal with purchase of four tires"

Sounds like you did a fine job!. Does the tooth fairy leave cash or nowdays, a credit card? [:o]

On the side...something I told a nurse.

Preface: I'm currently getting allergy shots for those small flying stinging little $$'ards. While getting these shots, I decided I may as well knock out pollen, mold, cats...

So, while at the Dr.'s getting my shot, the Nurse prepped my arm and started to count down... "three.... two.... one... STAB (with needle)"

I immediatly realized what she did wrong. I was counting down with her and she actually caused me some anxiety which otherwise, wouldn't have been there. She made a comment about all the children they do and how many of them cry.

I said I could see why as she was (IMHO) adding to their stress with her countdown. I then told her what she needed to do if she was going to use the countdown was use it to her favor.

HUH??? she looked at me???

I said, when you start to count down, the anticipation is when you get to zero, the reicipient is going to feel a pr ick and that will add to their tension. What you need to do is pr ick them BEFORE you get to zero. In other words, count down from three... two...(STAB) one... and it will be over before the child realized it because they're focused on reaching ONE and not between two and one.

A week later when I went back, she thanked me. Said she tried that on several kids and one of them actually asked her when and if she was going to give the shot!!! She was too happy to tell the child that she'd already given it and what a champ the kid was...

A bit of misdirection can go a long way.

[:D]

2nd Edit... found another place I used pr ick and had to change it to stab [:(]

3rd edit... sigh... I changed this pr ick, to pr ick!!

Ya know, if it was my WIFE calling me a little..... I could understand it, but she'd never call me a little STAB!! [:o]

Too funny... I actually did that, counted down and pulled when I should have said one. Not sure who was more surprised, daughter or wife! But it did seem to lessen the tensing up that occurs when you're expecting something nasty to happen.

Also, for some reason, the old phrase loses something in translation when you say "You can stab your finger, but you can't..." Gotta love politically correct censoring editing programs.

I used to use that 1-2-3- thing when taking pictures of people who would blink a lot. Tell them to blink on two, then I'd take picture on three. Fooled them, I pushed the shutter on ONE!

pulling a kids tooth has to be one those rites of passage for Fatherhood- Congratulations!

I remember my Dad teasing us about the doorknob, he was merciless. Also something about a tractor.....

My son recently lost his front lower tooth. When a tooth starts to wiggle, every night he brushes his teeth, I would wiggle the tooth some more counting up to 10 (as per the advise of the dentist). After a while, you would be able to notice that it's about to fall off. That's the time I would usually take a floss thread, loop it around the loose tooth and yank it out immediately like nothing happened. He then eats crushed ice to stop the bleeding. It's quite unnerving either way.