Reference vs. Classic or Heritage for music

Hagood

Ok, thanks to the great sound of my Synergy System 6 and you guys on this BB, I am totally hooked. I love my System 6 for HT, but I want to get some nice floorstanders for music. I was thinking of the RF-7's, but I have read many interesting threads about the classics like Cornwalls, Chorus, and Fortes and also the Heritage like Klipschorns and Heresys. I cannot find any around here to listen to, as my dealer only carries the Reference and Synergy lines. How do the sounds compare for music ? I listen to a wide range of music - classic rock, blues, jazz, classical, and have auditioned the RF-7's with all of them. They sound great to me, but I would like opinions on the comparisons before trying really hard to find someone in this area selling some used classics I can check out.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hagood Don't know much about the Synergy or any other of the "modern Klipsch speakers, but I wouldn't trade my La Scalas and Heresys for any of them. It's Something about real wood and metal horns. I have a RC-3 center speaker and it sounds great. We'll see if it lasts 20+ years like my Heritage speakers have.

hagood ...

in my house, my equipments and my ears here's what I have tested and the order of preference:

1. Chorus II (kept and now have 2 pairs)

2. KLF-20 (kept)

3. RF-7 (returned)

4. RF-3 (returned)

I know that the RF series have great reviews but I just could not warm up to them. maybe it was my equipments - but hey, i needed to pick what sounded the best with what i had.

and oh by the way, the chorus were the cheapest in price ... paid an average of $650 per pair.

This message has been edited by discusman on 12-05-2001 at 07:45 PM

Listen to both the Classic dinosaur series and the RF-7's. Wink.gif

I did compare the KLF30's to the RF-7's and I do prefer the RF-7's.Fast bass,better drivers and more detailed top end.The RF-7's have this kind of snap in the bass I must have.

Driven by a Celeste MOON W5 the RF-7's sound great.Would not trade them for any KLF.I did not listen to any dinosaur series(Classic series LOL)of late(Klipsch Horn about 6 years ago in a High-End store,sounded great all,this speaker is the true Klipsch).

For Jazz and other refined music I have my Dynaudio Contour 3.3's,bring on any classic series speaker. LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

so i guess the RF-7's are for those who can afford the high end electronics. well that leaves me out for I'm a poor man but do appreciate quality. I'll stick with my classic dinosaurs ... have to send 3 kids to college. maybe when they're all done then i can get me real equipments like TheEar's have.

discusman,

Take it easy I was joking when I called the Classic series the Dinosaur series(kind of HUGE with stone age drivers LOL ).When I throw Dynaudio into any speaker topic some get nervous,they know Dynaudio is no Bo$e. LOL Ah the Evidence Master if only I had 85 grand to spend on a pair of speakers.IF

The Classic Klipsch series have great speakers...the K-Horn is a classic.The KLF are good speakers too.

TheEAR(s) Now theear

The K-Horn is still in production isn't it ? I've been wanting to hear them, but don't know where. So are they considered the ultimate Klipsch speaker ? Better than the Reference, Ears ? What kind of price are we talking - they don't even list the MSRP on this site like the other speakers.

The K-Horns are the ultimate Klispch to me,if you have a large room and two free coners to place the K-Horns.A great tube amp(Cary,CJ or Audio Research)you will hear angels sing.

The K-Horns belong in the best systems with the best amps and preamps.Sadly few owners know how to tap the full potential of the H-Horns.

The K-Horns retail for about 5-6 grand if I am not mistaken.New,you can find some online auctions for much much less used.Beware these are heavy,very heavy and will cost an arm and a leg to ship.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hagood, Khorns in good condition are going for between 1500 and 3000. Most come in around 2000 to 2500. really trashed ones show up for much less. As far as shipping goes, it is done but with much difficulty and expense. They weigh 165 lbs apiece and are quite large. They do break down into 2 pieces each, but the bass bin section is still quite large and heavy. They have to be crated and trucked. The best thing to do is find a pair within a few hundred miles of your home and go pick em up. I drove 300 miles one way to get mine. They must be securely padded and strapped down to survive the trip without harm.

These are such difficult questions to answer with people so loyal to the speakers they own and there is always a risk of offending a few when you list out such a thing as a "which is better" list.

Bearing the above in mind, and from the limited range of speakers I have had real experience of (not just a demo) I would place my own PERSONAL preferences for music reproduction as follows:

1. The Belle Klipsche (big sound but not huge and not as over-powering as the KHorns). Nice bass that can easily be mated with a decent sub if desired. Positioned correctly they create the best soundstage I have ever heard bar none.

2. The KHorn. (OK - it is the reverse of just about everyone else's order but here's why. The Khorn is huge in every dimension - physically, sensitivity wise, staging, air and so on. The sound is magnificent, but, I tend to find that it is too much larger than life for some recordings/instruments. For example in Dvorak's New World Symphony the Kettle drums are too large and too deep in comparison with live performances I have heard. Where I am expecting a rap I hear a rumble which, to me, is a most un-kettle drum like noise).

3-6. The rest of the Heritage range that I have heard (forte, Heresy (with sub), and La Scalas). I have not broken these down into an order for a reason. Although as standalone speakers you can follow the price for the order I am taking into account the likely setup you might run. For example a sub is probably essential for a Heresy but not for the other 2. With a sub, however, there is little that beats it. The Forte plays rock better than anything I ever heard and have the best mid-range of any Klipsch in my experience. The La Scala's do not (in my opinion - have I said that enough already?) need a sub but lose a little because of it. That being said they are the best of the 3 taken in isolation.

7. The RF7. I have had less experience with these than any of the others - a single, but rather full, weekend. Certainly the closest thing to a Heritage I have heard, but a little harsh and I suspect, concurrenty not as flat as they might be in the 100 to 200 Hz range. They are not as "off" in that range as the Heresy's for sure, but somehow it is a less pleasant deformation.

8. The RF3. This would come out 1st if we were doing this in a bang for buck order. Fabulous speaker for the money. Loads of bass. No need of a sub. Very accurate for single instrument rendition but tend to make a hash of orchestral works. Also the least demanding in terms of quality higher up the chain (any old amp will drive them fine) and very none critical of poorer quality recordings.

9. The KLF 30. I was thinking of denying I knew this speaker as I know there are so many fans of it on this board but here goes. Boomy with low bass, inadequate with mid bass, insubstantial with mids and harsh on the highs. That will put me on many a death list I imagine but let me explain a couple of things for my reasoning. I have a good friend still struggling to get them to play properly after 9 months of playing. Tubes do sweeten the highs and somewhat redress the mid gap but cant drive the woofers (we are going to try 100 wpc tubes tonight - my 45s dont get close). Remember that this is a music discussion. I need to add therefore, that as the main speakers in a surround sound system they are absolutely fantastic. All that harshness I loath in music makes a movie come alive! Mate them to a Klipsch Centre and just about any semi-decent rears and surround amp and they top the league.

I think we will ignore the others I have heard (KSB 3.1's, quintets, Pro-medias et al). All reasonable speakers for the money but not in the same class as any of the above. Still, wouldnt mind a set of ProMedia's on my computer here in the office.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Hagood, even if you cannot find a seller in Texas, maybe you can locate a Heritage series owner down there that will let you listen to them. This will go a long way towards making a choice between the new and the old. Be warned though - Heritage speakers are very habit forming!

I have a set of Cornwall II's and I absolutely love them. For some of us, only Heritage will do, for others, the newer offerings are preferable. You must listen to them - well worth the effort to get an education about the wonders of Heritage Klipsch speakers. Even if you end up not liking them, at least you will know. You may end up addicted though (it's wonderful)

Any Texans on the board that can give Hagood a listen to their Heritage?

Love those Dinosaurscwm12.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!cwm17.gif

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 12-06-2001 at 09:29 AM

Thanks guys, lots of good info. I've always wanted to go to Athens, maybe I'll just go check out Maxg's speakers ! LOL. I'll try to find some around here to listen to - sounds like they are fabulous. I beleive the K-Horns are out of my league for now - I'll have to wait until I put my 2 girls through College, but after that who knows. I have a feeling I could get very carried away !

Hagood,

I have both the Synergy and Heritage now (just got a pair os LaScalas). The SF-1 and SF-2 sound good, but the LaScalas sound great. It must be the midrange horn that makes the biggest difference.

If you can't find used Heritage or Classic speakers to upgrade to, I would recommend skipping the Synergy towers and going with the Reference line. I wish I had started with the RF3's, since they weren't that much more expensive.

------------------

Jim

1979 La Scala's

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Hagood,

If you want to listen to a pair of K-horns, I'm in Fort Worth (actually closer to Blue Mound). If you're interested, drop me an e-mail at radiotv72@aol.com

1983 Klipschorn

McIntosh C27 preamp

McIntosh 2100 power amp

Panasonic LX-900 CD/laserdisc player

Thorens TD318 MkII turntable/Grado Prestige Gold cart

Grommes Custom tube tuner (no model #)

sound dog is the man - I love the sound of the big old horns, but I think they may pose problems that you did not address: money, size, room, equipment, etc.

The Reference series would be easier to slip into your HT to get better sound from movies and music (Do you have a sub? When, oh when are we going to get an equipment field in our profiles?) The big old horns can be wonderful, but they can also lead you down the path of the tweaking audiophile!cwm34.gif

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

Hagood,

I will prepare the spare room for you Biggrin.gif

Then we can go off on a tour of Athenian Klipsch implementations including most of the ones described above. Unfortunately the guy that had the Horns has sold them and bought Quad 989 ESLs. Go figure!!

But Belles, Fortes, Chorus, Heresys, RF3's, KLF 30's all immediately available for sampling.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable