What's the best Midrange driver?

ClaudeJ1

I have extensive experience with the 3"VC DH3 (I think) that is in the QRx series among others. It is a superb driver in the category in the chosen applications. I only heard it in factory boxes on EV's assymetric horn - crossed around 1.2KHz, IIRC. Doesn't tell you much about stretching the lower limits of a similar driver, but I'm sure it will sound great if used properly. The company I worked for did a typical 12-1500 seat HS aud with just four (two up front - two halfway back - in stereo) QRx 112/75 and a center hung 2x18 JBL sub. It sounded like a control room.

We use the DH-1 for the mains in my church....they're mounted to some big constant-directivity horns and crossed over at 400Hz to the bass bin. I've achieved a clean 120dB at the mixing position (back of the sanctuary) so I've no doubt they would be capable of normal output in the home. They don't exactly have the smoothest of frequency response and not the best high frequency extension, but it would be an interesting experiment. If nothing else they go loud as heck. I came across the product spec sheets just last week actually - I can hunt down scanning to the interenet if anyone is interested.

I would imagine the newer DH-3's are even better sounding...?

"What driver can go to 300 safely and still make it to above 6000?"

On any of the Altec 300hz horns (803, 203, 311-90, 311-60..etc..etc) I would be surprised if the 288s could not do it in a home setup. The top end of them is good to about 10k, then they peak around 12k, then roll off. Cross at around 8kHz to the 2404. The higher you cross the 2404 the better they sound.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/749000.aspx

Shawn

Along these lines, Has anyone ever heard the BMS 4591 driver that crosses down to 300Hz...or at least advertises it.

http://www.woodhorn.com/BMS/bms_4591.htm

jc

• 3 months later...

My take on it is that that you must go phenolic to get much below 500Hz. The JBL 2485 is a 4" VC 2" exit that fits the bill. I have jpegs of the cut sheets with FR graphs on a horn and tube.. They're about 150K each, so I don't want to attach them if you already have them, and they're not really legible if resized. Let me know if you don't.

I've been hunting for 290 for a while too, so I encourage you wholeheartedy to pursue a 2" throat!

Would you please Email me those cut sheet Jepegs you are referring to? Sorry for the delayed response..............claudej1@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

For some time now I've been jazzed about rolling off the K55 at 4500hz on a type A crossover. A few things I'd note about this: The mod is cheap by adding a cap and an inductor to a type A crossover. Klipsch discovered that the K55 is much better behaved when rolled off on the upper end. Klipsch has been using the K55 for years and just letting it poop out at 6000hz. I hadn't ever recognized that the K55 is distorted in those upper limit of it's range, but once I wasn't hearing it, I was amazed at the clean and clear quality of the mids. Klipsch has put it's money where it's mouth is on this as the 4500 hz crossover point is used in the AK-4 network.

BEWARE: you are putting your K77 at risk using it down to 4500hz. Klipsch pulls this off with a 6th order slope in the AK-4. I was using a type A crossover and used the CT-125 tweeter which is still bulletproof at 4500hz and to my ears a vastly improved and realistic sounding tweeter relative to the K77 for which it is a drop in replacement. Bob Crites did some testing in his system using a K77 down to 4500hz. Since he stocks the replacement diaphragms, he wasn't worried too much if he blew one. He didn't bust one, but it is a fairly likely possibility. My preference for the CT125 remains even at 600hz. I was just amazed at the realism of cymbal strikes and such with this tweeter. IMO it bested the Beyma, too. by a long shot.

Just my opinion, but I was delighted to improve the mid to HF performance on my Khorns on the cheap. They sounded very good to my ears.

The K55 is an excellent mid driver. It is simply asking it to do too much performing to 6000hz.

Horns/ Compression drivers?

As previously mentioned: TAD.

Or the Stage Accompany SA 8535 Ribbon Driver.1kHz. to 30kHz., power handling of up to 2000W, sensitivity of up to 107dB @ 1W./1m. (all at 13 Ohm impedance)