It's so frigging cold here

arfandbark

Cold, Windy, and Nasty..................North Country New York............Winter is rearing it's ugly head........in the sub teens factoring wind chill, a very dangerous time of year, lot of house fires...................

Indeed. Had an old guy (80) burn his house up last weekend thawing a frozen pipe.

Gathering up clothes, cash and whatnot at our VFW post to keep him going until he gets some money from his insurance carrier. (I sure hope he had some)

zero degrees air temp. 45 mph wind gusts. White out blizzard conditions for last 48 hours. Its rough here but not as bad as Oswego area. 51 inches of snow in last 72 hours, They are predicting a 100 inch snow fall before its over (8'4")..

Stay warm Doug....you guys are worse off than we are right now.......Best Wishes Bud..............

The weather people here (OHIO) are beating the chill index and the humidity index to death. They have the ordinary people here so messed up in the head they don't know temperature from a screwdriver. The latest thing now is measuring the temperature of a car door handle or a steel mailbox in the morning as air temps are rising and they are stating that with the air temp at 4 degrees F the car door handle is -10 degrees F and this is caused by the rise in air temp faster than the car door handle can rise in temp. This is with the overnight low around -5.0 degrees F. Go Figure. They took the temps with an infrared gidgy. These people are freakin me out.

JJK

Sunday night we had actual air temps of 28 below, wind chill of -40. Yesterday got up to 2 below, but the wind had died down, which helped. My wifes alternator died on her way to work, I ended up swapping it out in their parking lot, only a 10 minute job or I would have had it towed home. Then we got home, let our neighbors dog out, she wouldn't come back home, spent 2 hours walking around looking for her with a flashlight to no avail. She finally came home when my neighbors daughter came home around 10. Was down to -16 when I last checked before bedtime, but up to -6 when I got up this morning. Supposed to be -20 again tonight, then warming up to teens for the weekend. Balmy.

The latest thing now is measuring the temperature of a car door handle or a steel mailbox in the morning as air temps are rising and they are stating that with the air temp at 4 degrees F the car door handle is -10 degrees F and this is caused by the rise in air temp faster than the car door handle can rise in temp. This is with the overnight low around -5.0 degrees F. Go Figure. They took the temps with an infrared gidgy. These people are freakin me out.

JJK

That door handle will warm up slower, of course,. If you put a frozen chicken in a 400 degree oven, it doesn't warm up to 400 degrees in 2 minutes, does it? But the handle will only drop to the temp of the surrounding air, which was apparently -5. Even if it's blowing 30 MPH, the handle will still only get down to the ambient air temp. A lot of people get confused with wind chill; it only removes existing heat from an object, it can't make it colder than the actual air temp. For a quick experiment, tape an old fashioned thermometer to the outside of your cars windshield and drive down the road at 50. It will only drop to the air temp, but will do so a lot faster than if it were standing still. That's why people park their cars facing out of the wind, not because the cars get wind chill, but they won't give up their heat as fast if not exposed to the wind directly.

I questioned that also about the door handle being -11 when the overnight low was -5. It was in the morning paper and I guess those knowledgeable reporters are always right. Just think of this new energy source that violates the laws of physics.

I was in Greenland for 10 years and familiar with the old chill index created by the Air Force. They (?) have created a new chill index now that is supposedly more accurate. Then they threw in the humidity index. Now we have a lot of new terminology like "Filtered sunshine", "Snow thunder", "Rain spritzes", "Energy", "El Nino", El Nina",

JJK

• Moderators

I have never seen 0 deg, you all are not just cold , temps like that can be Dangerous.

That's just crazy, Be careful !

What temp do you try to keep the inside the of the house when it's -10, -28 outside ?

They have got to build houses differently up there for temps like that ?

We still keep the house at 65-68, not too difficult actually. Our fireplace will heat the entire living area hotter than is confortable, occasionally the thermostat down the hall will register an inhall temp of 75-80 if we let the fireplace blower really get going. The bedooms are down the hall a ways, but it usually feels good to get into the cool blankets, we sleep better that way. Our forced air furnace is usually shut off from Friday night til Mon AM if we're home, but we do go through a lot of wood.

Not sure how they build houses down there, we've got 6" walls on all exteriors, insulated well, double pane, argon filled, low e glass windows. I remember when we built our house 3 years ago the windows were a little over 20K, but a lot of them are custom arches and sizes. Good door seals, good insulation in the ceiling, etc. I guess after having lived here most all my life I never though about it, it just seemed like the only "normal" way to build a house!

I happened to get this in the mail when I got home tonight. No offense to other states, I know you're cold too, no offense meant, blah blah blah...

60 above zero:
Floridians turn on the heat. People in Minnesota plant gardens.

50 above zero:
Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Duluth sunbathe.

40 above zero:
Italian & English cars won't start. People in Minnesota drive with the
windows down.

32 above zero:
Distilled water freezes. The water in Bemidiji gets thicker.

20 above zero:
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and wool hats. People in
Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero:
New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Minnesota have the
last cookout before it gets cold.

Zero:
The entire population of Miami dies. Minnesotans close the windows.

10 below zero:
Californians fly away to Mexico. People in Minnesota get out their winter
coats.

25 below zero:
Hollywood disintegrates. Girl Scouts in Minnesota are selling cookies
door to door.

40 below zero:
Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in Minnesota let the dogs sleep
indoors.

100 below zero:
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Minnesotans get upset because they
can't start the minivan.

460 below zero:
All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale). People in
Minnesota start saying, "Cold 'nuff fer ya?"

500 below zero:
Hell freezes over. Minnesota schools will open 2 hours late.

I also have this link to the extreme low temps, looks like most of them have been in the mountains, but hats off to some of the low lying states that made it through.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/pub/data/special/mintemps.pdf

Funny, I was getting gas tonight, a customer of ours pulled up next to me, we were talking about how much better it felt to be outside now that the temp had gotten up to 6. Here's a link to my last weeks weather calender and continued forcast. I tried to do a screen shot, but I think my screen guns' out of screen bullets. It is a cool page if you look around at all the stuff you can find if you go to Home and enter YOUR zip code.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KAIT/2007/2/6/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar

Last year, same month, it wasn't much better, it just came a week later. [:S] Actually, if you look back monthly, we've been pretty lucky overall temp wise, but a lot of the businesses around here depend on the snowmobiles and ice fishermen, without those things get pretty slack. The Polaris/SkiDoo/Bombadier dealer just across the street from me started new hours today due to lack of business. Not Open on Tues and Thurs. Which sucks for me, because I depend on a few of their muscles every now and then to help push in a no start.

Global Warming? Sure. Lack of good warm/cold front interaction causing snow to fall where I am? Sure. Cyclical? Sure. Man has an effect? Sure. Man and his contributions to the global climate are the singular source for the melting polar ice caps? Not so much. Remember, where I am currently sitting and typing, this exact Lat and Lon GPS site, was, at one time, under a mile thick glacier. It might be that, at some point in time, something happened to make said glacier go away. And that has happened multiple times, according to those people that track that stuff.

*Hells Bells, I tried to get a link to glaciers and spent an hour reading different links about global warming and glaciers. With no good link.*

Off my soapbox, into the B.S. file as far as I'm concerned.