Who needs a fancy schmancy CD player?

kev313

I used mine as a CDP back when we were dirt poor and living in sin. Played through a hand me down 27" JVC tv. I still use it to play Tiger Woods and Madden a few times per year.

I have a couple things that I need to do in the next 4 or 5 months, so I'm going to pass on reading that beast of a thread. I think I'll try it and see how it sounds, but if it sounds worse than my poor old Sony changer I'm not going to worry about it too much.

The few pages I skimmed seemed optomistic about the transport, but a repair shop owner that I've known for several years has done quite well fixing them. Maybe just 'cause there's so many out there...

Uh, while I am not a nut who believes you must spend thousands on a CD player, I know for a fact a PS1 is lame if you have a decent setup. The difference in sound quality between it and a PS2 is dramatic. It it shite with no bass and a thin sound. A $39 Walmart special destroys it. For that matter, I compared it to a Sony Walkman and it destroyed it. My cell-phone destroys it. These people either modded it big time or they believe in those Timex clocks as well. Now a PS2 you could live with if you were flat broke or didn't want to spend the money at the time... I did. The first words out of my mouth when my son would take out the PS2 (so he could actually play the thing) and replace it with the PS1 would alarm most people.

Uh, while I am not a nut who believes you must spend thousands on a CD player, I know for a fact a PS1 is lame if you have a decent setup. The difference in sound quality between it and a PS2 is dramatic. It it shite with no bass and a thin sound. A $39 Walmart special destroys it. For that matter, I compared it to a Sony Walkman and it destroyed it. My cell-phone destroys it. These people either modded it big time or they believe in those Timex clocks as well. Now a PS2 you could live with if you were flat broke or didn't want to spend the money at the time... I did. The first words out of my mouth when my son would take out the PS2 (so he could actually play the thing) and replace it with the PS1 would alarm most people.

Well I've been through a handful of the $$$$ cd setups, including Audio Note, Zanden and Levinson amoung others, and am living happily with an original Rega Planet and a SCD-1, so I would agree with you on not needing to spend alot (although they do sound nice!).

As for the Playstation, I have no experience, just passing on the news:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15484873/

So what are the details of why this has gotten the attention of the DIY crowd?   

It has a 32bit DSP.  Is that the same as a DAC?  If so, most HT's only have 24bit's.. 

The transport is kid proof, so what did that do for the ride?

What's the second runner up?

ya da yada yada, gitalife, those playstations just plain SUCK[:'(]

Who are you talking to?

Seemingly nonsensical introduction aside, at least we have some input from a person who has used the Playstation in an otherwise "high end" system. Smilin - was yours one of the models listed in the MSNBC piece? Which one specifically? What did you find lacking? Overall was it not worth the roughly 11.99 that these units usually copmmand on ebay?

Who are you talking to?

Seemingly nonsensical introduction aside, at least we have some input from a person who has used the Playstation in an otherwise "high end" system. Smilin - was yours one of the models listed in the MSNBC piece? Which one specifically? What did you find lhatcking? Overall was it not worth the roughly 11.99 that these units usually copmmand on ebay?

Kev, it is absolutely worth 11.99, but it is not HIGH END. That is all I am saying.

High end is like these....www.aplhifi.com [H]JMO

Who are you talking to?

Seemingly nonsensical introduction aside, at least we have some input from a person who has used the Playstation in an otherwise "high end" system. Smilin - was yours one of the models listed in the MSNBC piece? Which one specifically? What did you find lhatcking? Overall was it not worth the roughly 11.99 that these units usually copmmand on ebay?

Kev, it is absolutely worth 11.99, but it is not HIGH END. That is all I am saying.

High end is like these....www.aplhifi.com [H]JMO

The Playstation does not compete with APL? Your love for APL products is well documented on multiple forums but, with all due respect, that conclusion is not really a shocker. Consider, however, that alot of people that read these posts on this site have Klipsch or JBL or Altec and not GOTO or ALE or TAD or YL Acoutstic and are interested in getting a good deal on good sound.

What you were saying is that the Playstations "SUCK" (in addition to telling someone, I would assume me as I was the original poster, to "get a life."). If I never would have run across the above links I would have just assumed the same thing. They may, indeed, SUCK, as I would expect, but I have never heard an original Playstation that wasn't running thorugh my TV and certainly not for the last 12 years or so, so I will refrain from passing absolute judgement. I will say, however, that the above links are at least interesting given the low cost of the unit and in light of the fact that people who would seem to have good judgement about these things (like Mike Lavorgna at 6Moons and John Devore) seem to like it.

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2006/010706devore/

Img 0810

Img 0814

If you are saying that you've heard the Playstation in your system and it sucks, that is good to know. But if you are saying it sucks because it is not APL or otherwise does not have a high end price that really doesn't add to what I thought would be an interesting topic.

Kev, ya got me, I have not had it in my systen in a dozen, or so years. I remember replacing it with a portable high end sony, which trounced it at the time. As you suggest, these guy's may be on to something, modified, et. I will definately back off here, cause in reality, I am just NOT that interested. I appreciate you calling me out the way you did, very professional, and direct. Best of luck in your audio pursuits, maybe we could get together sometime and listen to some tunes.

Steve[:P]

Hi Mark - Used on its own with no outboard DAC appears to be the thing. I'm pretty skeptical, but at $20 or so may take a look at it. Heck, if I'm wrong at least I can play some "vintage" games!

I will say this, though, I am consistently shocked by CD player performance - from modern cheapo units (DVDO!!) that probably take advantage of 20+ years of cd player development knowledge and sound as good as megabuck players from 5 years ago to old, old, old units such as Revox and Studer that sound AWESOME despite their age.

well I was needing a new DVD player....and since I only have a projector with Compnent input I did not need anything with DVI or HDMI...So I just got a Denon DVD2900 universal player on ebay for $250... It was top player in 2003-4 and am very happy with it. Check it on Audioholics or Secrets of HT...great reviews.