Advice wanted on stand alone tuner

gx1856

I would like to purchase a stand alone tuner in the near future.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

I have a pair of La Scalas powered by a Bryston 4B with a Lexicon DC-1 and a Velodyne HGS-10.

I do not mind buying used and/or out of production equipment.

Please let me know what tuners you have had good luck with.

-Sheldon

Sheldon..while surfing Audiogon I saw a Pioneer TX-9100 or 9500 which was a very well respected tuner in its day. The best part was the guy only wanted $140. Go to Audiogon and click on misc and look there. There is also a very nice Fisher 100 for $325.

I would grab the Fisher but there are no good stations in this area.

Chuck

• Moderators

The vintage McIntosh are going to be mostly just FM, so these other suggestions are going to be much better for your needs. Can't go wrong with that Pioneer if it is in alignment and functioning properly. That Parasound is beautiful. Have you considered Sat. Radio for home? I got that for Christmas a couple of years ago, and it is great!!! I listen to it maybe an hour a week just for kicks, and different programs, live shows, etc.

Travis

SOLD

Sheldon:

Not sure what you're looking for, but I've got a mint condition Optonica (Sharp's premium line) ST-4405 stereo tuner that I'm not using.

'80's Solid state. Analogue, so no pre-sets, but it's an attractively designed, good quality unit complete with manual, sales brochure, schematic and original box - $25 plus shipping.

I'll take pic's and post them if anyone is interested.

James

SOLD

arf&bark:

Highlights are: 4-Gang Variable Capacitor and Dual-Gate MOS FET in FM Front End and PLL MPX Circuitry

FM Specs from the manual

Sensitivity (IHF): 1.7uV (9.8 dBf)

Image rejection: 82 dB (at 98MHz)

I.F. Rejection: 90 dB (at 98MHz)

Selectivity: 70 dB

Capture ratio: 1.2dB

AM Suppression: 55dB

Output voltage: 700mV (75kHz deviation)

S/N: 75 dB (75kHz deviation, mono)

Distortion:

Mono: 0.2%

Stereo: 0.3%

Stereo separation: 45 dB (1kHz)

40 dB (6kHz)

40 dB (100Hz)

I think it pulls in stations pretty well, but here in the SF Bay area, we're in a pretty target rich area & I've never used it anywhere else.

The only reason it's sitting on the shelf is the lack of pre-sets (and the fact that I've got 4 pre-amps with built-in digital tuners).

James

I'm with DWlaywer, I'd consider satalite radio. I have Dish network and get Serious radio for free with that. I also have two GM trucks that have XM satallite radio. Neat thing here is, if you have an account with XM, you get their streaming web for free also. No need to get a satallite radio here, THOUGH, If I were in the market for a tuner, I'd seriously look to get one that can receive the new digital radio signals. Here in the St. Louis market, most radio stations are advertising that they are broadcasting in digitally right next to their normal frequency, though you have to have a tuner to decode it.

Good Luck.