upscaling DVD player

T2K

Well, people over at AVS forums are ga-ga over the Oppo models. Three models, 981, 971, & 970, the most expensive one at $230, which are supposed to have the best video performance of anything on the market. I think each one upscales via HDMI. They have made it a bit frustrating, however, as each model does something you want, but not everything. The 970 is a universal DVD-A/SACD player, but has less sophisticated video processing (still very good, though); the 971 has top-level video processing, but doesn't do SACD; the 981 does it all, but only has HDMI out, no component connections, so your TV will have to play nice and handshake properly. There is a thread for each model at AVSForums, with thousands of responses on each.

Hey, thanks for all the replies. I'll check the Oppo's out. I knew I could count on you guys. [Y]

Keith

Call and ask about B-stock. I have the 971 B-stock...one tiny hard to find nick on an edge. They may have B 981's now

I had DVI in on my PJ and went with the 971 as per Oppo recommendation, they suggested possible conflict. Now I have a PJ with HDMI and using an adapter. Looks great, but wishing I had gone 981 mainly for SACD and DVD-A, no other reason. My PJ is 720p and rescales back to 702 from 1080i. I noticed a nice difference using both 1080i and 720p out from the 970, experiment with your TV to see what looks best. Mine likes 720 a bit over 1080i

Check their site out, great links to reviews