Meagain's at it again

Parrot

From the other thread:

The cool part about this is Dean still has those khorns in his house. It's an interesting position to be in.
I

actually should have bought them. My gut's telling me I'm going to end

up where those khorns are already at to some degree. Although not a

fan of oak, they 'are' the lighter version which I appreciate over the

dark walnut tone. Heck, I have a slab of MDF propped against one of

mine as a 1/2-a**ed false corner. Right now, it's propped up with a

chair! A wimpy chair to boot.
:)
At least I'll get to hear

them. Maybe..... maybe....

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was an important picture for me to see when I first saw it -- it really shows you just how big that thing really is. Another thing it made me realize is how much smaller the Jubilee bass horn footprint is compared to my Klipschorns with the false corners attached. The Jubilee LF section is as wide as that horn -- about 42" across the front. My false corners are 60". My room just got three feet wider.

http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/cut-sheets/KPT-JUBILEE-535.pdfhttp://www.klipsch.com/media/products/cut-sheets/KPT-JUBILEE-535.pdf'>

That was an important picture for me to see when I first saw it -- it really shows you just how big that thing really is. Another thing it made me realize is how much smaller the Jubilee bass horn footprint is compared to my Klipschorns with the false corners attached. The Jubilee LF section is as wide as that horn -- about 42" across the front. My false corners are 60". My room just got three feet wider.

http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/cut-sheets/KPT-JUBILEE-535.pdfhttp://www.klipsch.com/media/products/cut-sheets/KPT-JUBILEE-535.pdf''>http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/cut-sheets/KPT-JUBILEE-535.pdf' mce_href="http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/cut-sheets/KPT-JUBILEE-535.pdf">

That spec sheet shows a 3 way system, I thought Coytee's is a 2 way system............Is there two versions ????????????

Yup, the behind the screen Cinema version is a three-way, the home version is a two-way. It was originally designed as two-way by PK and Roy, but went three-way when it found it's way into the Commercial side of the house.

I think the idea of the three-way is that way you don't have to EQ the ever-loving **** out of the 402 horn to get a good frequency response. But then the Jubilee's whole original purpose in being was to be a two-way. Interesting, isn't it?

If I remember my measurements correctly, the K402 is actually LARGER (in length/width) than a LaScala. Meaning, sticking a 402 on top of a Khorn would take up MORE space on the X, Y axes than placing a LaScala up there laying on its side.

I was measuring to the outside dimensions of the 402 but none the less... subtle it aint!! However, GOOD SOUNDING, it IS!!

When you put the 402 on top of the Jubilee bottom, it doesn't take any more side to side space since they're close enough to be identical.

Dean, I'm glad to hear you might actually SAVE some space by going to the HUGE Jubilees... ironic huh?

Yup, the behind the screen Cinema version is a three-way, the home version is a two-way. It was originally designed as two-way by PK and Roy, but went three-way when it found it's way into the Commercial side of the house.

I think the idea of the three-way is that way you don't have to EQ the ever-loving **** out of the 402 horn to get a good frequency response. But then the Jubilee's whole original purpose in being was to be a two-way. Interesting, isn't it?

The three way is for coverage patterns in the theatre.

Yeah, tough to cover a theater with just that dinky mid-horn.:)

You have a problem with EQ? Tell me, how does the midrange of the Klipschorn go out to 6000Hz using a driver that takes a nose dive at 4700, and is almost 20dB down at the crossover point? So, you're O.K. with EQ if it's applied by the horn, but not O.K. with it if it's applied by the network. The problem with the former is that it means poor off-axis response because the horn is beaming at the higher frequencies -- providing the smallest of sweet spots. Probably O.K. in a room like mine. Very bad in a room like yours, especially the way you sometimes like to listen. You'd walk around and you'd hear the treble output fluctuate. You'd hear it too when you sit and get up out of your chair. A CD type horn maintains even dispersion, which translates to a smoother power response, but it just needs a little boost at the top from the network (passive or active).

I like the K402 Look In My Room[:)]

I do plan on making some nice grilles for the KLF Section and I have a few ideas for some nice wood trim if the mood hits me for the KLF and K402 but I want cover the mouth of the K402 with any grille cloth! Just need to find time to do it.

On the Walls is some MDF if anyone is wondering because had been playing with reinforced corners when I had the khorns and just left it there when the Jubilees were put in their place.

mike tn[:)]

post-14473-13819325126938_thumb.jpg

I'm not following your explanation, Dean. Are you talking about Khorn scenarios or Jubilee scenarios? Are you talking about if one didn't use crossover networks?

I sure wouldn't call the massive amount of EQ needed in the Jubilee "a little boost."

I still think the BBC mini monitor LS3/5a would be good for you. Yes, it applies a tremendous amount of bass compensation to counteract the tiny size of the speaker, but cheating with EQ is a good thing, right?

I'm not following your explanation, Dean. Are you talking about Khorn scenarios or Jubilee scenarios?

Both. I was comparing the K-400 and how it apparently lifts response (EQ) -- to the K-510 and K-402 which don't, but need lift using the crossover.

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/horn_eq.cfm

Define "massive amounts of EQ". Tell us, how much EQ is applied?

I still think the BBC mini monitor LS3/5a would be good for you. Yes, it applies a tremendous amount of bass compensation to counteract the tiny size of the speaker, but cheating with EQ is a good thing, right?

Define 'EQ'. Provide examples, and tell us which ones are 'cheating' and which ones aren't.