Meagain's at it again

Parrot

yep three fully functional jubs.....yep at a show....ces...but...oh no.....

THEY WERE UGLY BLACK FIBERGLASS HORNS........TA TA TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

didn't get the wood horns till later and never were able to get three of the same horn from the same vendors who tried to sample it.....and those were shown but as one off's.

In January 2001, this was posted here:

Even more (I'm excited just writing this - and it's 2am!)

I got to meet Paul Klipsch, and got an autographed picture of him

standing next to the NEW KLIPSCHORN JUBILEE! Beautiful unit, 12 to 17K

estimated, wood horn tweeter. Sounds like the design is complete and

they're just working on how to manufacture such an amazing and

intricate piece.

George emphasizes a wooden horn. So what gives?

This is an example of reading what is not there. We have all seen the picture of Paul standing next to the new Jubilee with a wood horn tweeter. That is ALL George said here and is not at odds with what Roy said.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So... the 402 looks like it is 4 ft tall... what does the 501 look like? Is it the same width as the LF? How tall? "

I assume you mean 510? The 510 is *tiny*.... I don't have exact measurements (I can take some tonight) but it is a small horn. One could fit it in a Heresy or Cornwall for example.

Look at this thread for some pictures:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/846295.aspx

It would be easy to enclose that horn if one wanted to hide it.

Shawn

So I guess none of the last few posters were even at Hope to listen to the big 402 or the little black (model # escapes me maybe 510 or something) but the little one is basically the same as the wooden one Paul posed with. I myself found the sound to be more wide open with the 402 and the sound field seemed more narrow with the smaller one however someone said they basically sound the same with the same x-over settings.

I would think my observation of a better spread soundfield would be correct since the 402 throat is about 10 times larger at it's outer perimeter! The first time I heard the 402 in Hope on the 2006 casual get together they were and still are a phenominal 2 way speaker period. It amazes me how people who were not there continually try to tear into Roy, if I were the forum administrator your blastphemous banter would be removed for good since many only come here to get a rise and a challange.

Lets go back to that beautiful wooden horn in the shot with PWK, if memory serves me right both Roy and Trey said that horn cost a lot of money to produces however I'd bet you could have one made and still keep the cost of a Jub 2 way setup under $10,000 and for what some of the ridiculous priced speakers go for today the Jubs are a diamond in the rough/high dollar arena[;)] IMHO a finished bass bin with a 402 horn with a strech over grill cloth material matching the bass bin would absolutely rock and would probably stomp a pair of $30,000 Avant Gardes in the dirt[:o] Seems to me that extra $20,000 would sure put a nice bi-amped pair of MAC 275's, BAT VK-51SE and a full blown Wadia in the setup and who knows it might even sound good[^o)]

"So I guess none of the last few posters were even at Hope to listen to the big 402 or the little black (model # escapes me maybe 510 or something) but the little one is basically the same as the wooden one Paul posed with."

Nope, I believe the wood one was like the K403 which never made it into production. That would use a different driver compared to the K402/K510 as the throat on that was 1.4" compared to the 2" throat on the K402/510.

"I myself found the sound to be more wide open with the 402 and the sound field seemed more narrow with the smaller one however someone said they basically sound the same with the same x-over settings."

Haven't heard the K402 so I can not really say regarding sound... something else might be going on there... room reflections or something. But just talking about coverage patterns the opposite should be true assuming the K402/K510 have the same coverage pattern. The K402 will hold its pattern to a lower frequency then the K510. The frequencies below where the K510 looses its pattern its coverage angle increases. The bigger horn gives more pattern control.

Shawn

IMHO a finished bass bin with a 402 horn with a strech over grill cloth material matching the bass bin would absolutely rock

I am starting to think that as well - it would certainly be more aesthetically pleasing. Of course, I am still thinking the thing is just gigantic for a home. Then it occured to me; we are all completely nuts. A Khorn is huge, a La Scala is huge, a Belle is huge... folks walk into my listening room and are stunned I have such "huge" speakers (the Khorns). The Jub/402 has to be imposing in ANY room.

Paul has referenced the practicality of the system. I tend to agree with him. However, I am realizing most of us left the world of practicality long ago in our quest for sound. Why go back to it now.

If I were practical, I wouldn't have an equipment list that looks like an inventory sheet. Screw it. I want to hear them - not that I would buy them, mind you.

I am starting to think that as well - it would certainly be more aesthetically pleasing.

I doubt anyone really argues that point. It would be nice to have all this sound, packaged in something the size of a bose cube. Not gonna happen though, so it's a matter of tradeoffs.

Of course, I am still thinking the thing is just gigantic for a home.

It is. I STILL find my self sitting there listening to them (usually with the wife in room who thinks they're abominations) and I'll just start to giggle to myself...."these things are freaking huge and imposing". (I'm not complaining though)

Then it occured to me; we are all completely nuts. A Khorn is huge, a La Scala is huge, a Belle is huge... folks walk into my listening room and are stunned I have such "huge" speakers (the Khorns).

Now you're getting part of my thinking. With the Khorns / others in the room, you're already at 90% of the visual impact of the Jubilee so all we're talking about (when dealing with only size) is a matter of degree. (asthetics are a different issue)

The Jub/402 has to be imposing in ANY room.

Sure looks imposing in my room. Primarily, the 402. Then again, I must be honest, as often as I sit there and think it's crazy that I've got such outrageous horns, more often than not, I'll sit there and think.... dang, those things are intimidating.

Paul has referenced the practicality of the system. I tend to agree with him. However, I am realizing most of us left the world of practicality long ago in our quest for sound. Why go back to it now.

[Y]

If I were practical, I wouldn't have an equipment list that looks like an inventory sheet. Screw it. I want to hear them - not that I would buy them, mind you.

I don't care if you don't buy them and I don't care if you hate them. Pick when you want to give a listen and we'll work something out. Perhaps if you do that, you will report back your thoughts on them (be it good or bad)

I forgot all about Woodhorn Coda, they do make fine looking stuff[:P]

I recently saw the new Zingali out of Italy and they also do some fine looking wood horn work[:D]

So with the smaller 510 horn it like a barrel of a gun on the imaging vs. the wide mouth 402?

About the size, I'm pretty sure the Jub bass bin with the small 510 horn is actually shorter than a K-Horn but maybe a little wider, what makes the Jub's look so large is the 402 atop that baby and having it out from the corner where it takes up more floor space always makes them seem way larger

Until the Jub/402 2 way came about I was always sold on the Larger Advent 2 ways but they have now had to step aside in my book as the Jub's are the finest 2 way I've encountered in my 50 years of trodding the big ball[;)]

I hope a bunch of people interested make it to Coytee's for an audition[8]

I hope a bunch of people interested make it to Coytee's for an audition[8]

We're taking care of them one at a time... Heck... I'd even invite Parrot down for an ear-full [:-*] (of Jubilee that is)

Here's to many more years of trodding the big ball!

[D] [D]

The black "fiberglass" horn that PWK had in his own home, the horn that still is on top of the Jubilee that Miss Valerie has--I wonder why nobody talks about it? It's got more pleasing lines than the 402 or the 510. It's fairly similar in size to the "wooden" prototype. Once covered up, the aesthetics would be more pleasing than covering up either of the other two horns.

I wonder why nobody talks about it?

It's a little known fact that the speaker you refer to, actually has a little accoustimass cube behind the grill. Yes, it's true. That is one of Roy's dirty little secrets!!!

Just remember... I didn't tell you. I'll deny deny deny!!

[A]

Some folks just like to argue to self fulfill themselves!

I for one saw the respect and admiration Roy had/has for PWK and regardless of all the armchair engineers on here I must feel Roy is the most factual on anything Paul felt or was working towards (Andy is a great guy but builders are not the engineers and all Andy preached was what might have been the configurations if they went to home versions) If memory serves me right Roy stated Paul always wanted to build a 2 way speaker (somehow I just don't see the replacing the K-Horn scenario in this) and the Jub was his vision unfortunately Paul did not get to devote as much time as he needed to complete it with Roy however Roy IMHO is doing his best to promote the Jub and assist anyone out here hoping to be a benefactor of Paul's original vision regardless if Roy puts a top side with passive eq on it[:@]

I don't want to forget to tell Rigma what a stellar job he is doing on those bass bins and I can't wait to see his finished product. On that note I think it's even more exceptional that the bass bin plans were given out for a consumer to build what was designed in house by KLIPSCH, everybody does remember who that was here right

My idea of a really good looking home version Jub would be the 60th Anni's lacewood front with a custom lacewood type picture frame around the 402 with black grill cloth panels on the sides of the bass bins and the same black grill cloth inside the 402's framework. With Meagain in mind you could vertually have a Artwork painting on the 402 grillcloth if you really wanted to dress them up[;)] I have seen a company but the name escapes me right now that actually does in walls that look like framed artwork but behind the art is you speaker

They were both designed for different environments.

Oh really? And on what do you base this assumption?

I reckon the better choice for the home has to be the Klipschorn.

Everything else aside - how can you make this assumption without actually hearing the difference?

Hey Mike!

Re: "They were both designed for different environments" - Well I am basing this opinion on the reality of the current situation. Klipsch have only released the Jubilee as a commercial speaker, The rest of the comments about the Jubilee being designed for the home (but never used in this manner) are all smoke and mirrors as far as I'm concerned...

Re: "The better choice for thehome has to be the Klipschorn" - Firstly, just look at the current Klipsch lineup. The Klipschorn is marketed for the home both aesthetically and size wise and obviously superior sound quality (based on my comments below). Secondly, you can't tell me the commercial Jubilee is built to the same standards as the Klipschorn (individual design complexity aside). Klipsch themselves have made a big deal about the La Scala II which is based on a so-called commercial design being the oringinal La Scala. Allow me to quote Klipsch in relation to the sound improvements expected from the La Scala II: "...The bass horn cabinet walls are now constructed of 1-inch thick MDF rather than ¾-inch plywood to offer more support, decrease resonance and deliver cleaner bass response". If the Jubilee was going to be marketed for home use, I would imagine Klipsch would take a big look at improving the build quality vis a vis the La Scala II so that the Jubilee would sound "...at least as good as the Klipschorn". In it's current form I really doubt the commercial Jubilee would give the Klipschorn a run for it's money.

I guess though, as Roy has kindly offered, it's possible for Klipsch to build a 'special order' Jubilee. This is the way I would go if I wanted a Jubilee. In fact this is probably the only way Klipsch could go if they wanted to market a home version of the Jubilee. It would be difficult financially to have in stock several domestic versions of the Jubilee on the off chance they might sell one or two a year.

They were both designed for different environments.

Oh really? And on what do you base this assumption?

I reckon the better choice for the home has to be the Klipschorn.

Everything else aside - how can you make this assumption without actually hearing the difference?

Hey Mike!

Re: "They were both designed for different environments" - Well I am basing this opinion on the reality of the current situation.  Klipsch have only released the Jubilee as a commercial speaker,  The rest of the comments about the Jubilee being designed for the home (but never used in this manner) are all smoke and mirrors as far as I'm concerned...

Re: "The better choice for thehome has to be the Klipschorn" - Firstly, just look at the current Klipsch lineup.  The Klipschorn is marketed for the home both aesthetically and size wise and obviously superior sound quality (based on my comments below).  Secondly, you can't tell me the commercial Jubilee is built to the same standards as the Klipschorn (individual design complexity aside).  Klipsch themselves have made a big deal about the La Scala II which is based on a so-called commercial design being the oringinal La Scala.  Allow me to quote Klipsch in relation to the sound improvements expected from the La Scala II: "...The bass horn cabinet walls are now constructed of 1-inch thick MDF rather than ¾-inch plywood to offer more support, decrease resonance and deliver cleaner bass response".  If the Jubilee was going to be marketed for home use, I would imagine Klipsch would take a big look at improving the build quality vis a vis the La Scala II so that the Jubilee would sound "...at least as good as the Klipschorn".  In it's current form I really doubt the commercial Jubilee would give the Klipschorn a run for it's  money. 

I guess though, as Roy has kindly offered, it's possible for Klipsch to build a 'special order' Jubilee.  This is the way I would go if I wanted a Jubilee.  In fact this is probably the only way Klipsch could go if they wanted to market a home version of the Jubilee.  It would be difficult financially to have in stock several domestic versions of the Jubilee on the off chance they might sell one or two a year.

If you read through this thread and the many others even pwk thought the Klipschorn Jubilee bested the Klipschorn which we all know is no small feat. Hearing is believing and I have had the oportunity to hear it a couple times. I would love to be left in that room with the Jubilees and my cd collection : )  Roy has gone out of his way to bring the Klipschorn Jubilee to us the best way that he can without there being a consumer product. It doesn't have WAF but he is getting into the hands of fans and paying customers. Sometimes a company has a product that they don't sell many of just to make a statement. Take a look at all the $60K plus speaker systems out there and in my opinion Klipsch offers serious bang for the buck with the La Scala III and revamped Klipschorn they did amazing work.