Tube question - Brimar tubes

Guest " "

IMO the British made Brimar tubes are overshadowed by the likes of Mullard and Telefunken, but still noteworthy nonetheless! I've never owned any Brimars but I hear they're just as coveted sonically as the more popular brands, being smooth, well balanced, with low noise. Are they worth the higher price tag I cannot say...that's up to you and your bank account.

My opinion is that tubes that have some market volume and maintain high prices (Brimar would be included in this) are generally of good quality.

As always, performance in any particular circuit or system is a different story, and specific recommendations based on completely different circumstances are pretty useless other than to convey a general opinion regarding quality. Personal preference comes into play as well, of course.

Brimar tubes seem to be much less common, so supply is likely contributing significantly to the price. Tele, Amperex and Mullard were common stock in the US so they're still more available than some others.

I have some 1950's vintage Brimar 5U4G--they look to be rebadged GEC U52 to me, but maybe just made under license? NICE tubes!

I also have some Brimar 12AX7 and 12AU7 kicking around--they're pretty sweet as well.

I have some Brimar 12BH7 as well, but they're not so hot when compared with RCA blackplates.

"Right, and I think that's a bit high. But, then if you trust the seller, who cares about a few extra bucks. 12ax7 usually last quite a long time."

Price seem high to me as well. Especially since there is apparently no used Brimar tube market.

Trust a tube seller....not from what I have seen. They are all mostly in denial and really believe their used tubes are NOS just becuase they test like new. Think about it. during the 60's and 70's the repair guy would show up and after blowing the dust out of your set, would start swaping tubes til the problem that called him to your house went away. The old tubes went into the box of the new tubes. 30 years later, a stock pile of these turn up and they are sold as NOS tubes. I recieved a tube yesterday that was NOS, what showed up was a rusty tube with almost no getter left. Seller says it test like new so it is NOS.

I acutally started this quest trying to find mullard 12ax7's. The Mullard 12AT7's in various forms seem to be easy to find new. The the Mullard 12AX7 seems to be a tough find. I need 8 12AX7's and 6 12AT7's.

So now we have the the Brimar tube. Is it any good? Who knows. Only good thing is that you can buy them new. But seems no one seems to be using them, and they are not drawing much attention on ebay in terms of resale value, seems like I should pass and move on to something else.

• Moderators

I have some 1950's vintage Brimar 5U4G--they look to be rebadged GEC U52 to me, but maybe just made under license? NICE tubes!

I also have some Brimar 12AX7 and 12AU7 kicking around--they're pretty sweet as well.

I have some Brimar 12BH7 as well, but they're not so hot when compared with RCA blackplates.

Allan,

Did you recently pick up a pair of ECF 802 (pink lettering) from ebay? I bought a pair, and if you did also I was hoping to get your thoughts.

Travis

Allan,

Did you recently pick up a pair of ECF 802 (pink lettering) from ebay? I bought a pair, and if you did also I was hoping to get your thoughts.

Travis

ECF802?? Is that a 6U8 variant?? If so, I'm all ears on those......