looking for a stereo amplifier, <$500, any recommendations?

Erukian

I'm running 4ohm 88db sensitive bookshelf speakers, so they're not exactly easy to drive, but i respect the expertise of people in this forum to give me an honest recommendation despite them not being klipsch's and all.. The speakers are for a bedroom setting and as far as I can tell, if I want something good I have to buy used. If anyone has something they believe will match up with my speakers, please let me know, i'm considering everything at this point. Tubes, SS, Tripath, integrated or power amps...

The impedance curve on the speakers makes it somewhat easy to drive for a 4ohm speaker, the bass/mids are smooth and detailed, the bass is somewhat tipped up around 40-55hz (where it starts to roll off just a bit) so integrating with a sub is somewhat hard. The highs are bright and detailed for a typical soft dome tweeter, but definitely not klipschs' sharp detail. I'd say sonically, they're closest to the Polk LSi9's, but with a bit more brightness.

Thanks,

-Joe

Best bet would be an older 5 channel HT reciever used in 2 channel mode.  In most cases, 500 or less,  it will give you about 130 watts per channel in 2 channel mode with a power supply that will deliver very good performance since it was designed for 5 channels.  Added value is the builtin DAC that will out perform the DACs used in most CD. DVD, SAT, and cable recievers if used via the coax connection. These HT recievers have advanced modes that let you customize the sound for just about any room larger than a phone booth but smaller than a gym. These HT recievers usally have FM as well as a phono stage.  A few use class A output.  Nothing like having a nice remote as well.

You can probally get a real nice one for about 250 - 300.

Craig said.... Well I personally have never heard a budget 5 channel HT receiver that sounded even remotely good in 2 channel mode.

So true...

Take a model that is 2- 3- 4 years old, Look for a owner that is the 2nd 3rd too but fanatical about audio switching all the time.

My suggestion....... look on audiogon.

No H H Scotts at that price Craig? Or sugestions? They might be wonderful for him...

Well I personally have never heard a budget 5 channel HT receiver that sounded even remotely good in 2 channel mode.

As used HT reciver is different than a budget HT reciver.   Some examples of used HT recievers and common ebay prices.......

Onkyo TX-DS939, list 3200, used 500 or less, 120 wattsX5 in 5.1 mode, 130 X2 in 2 channel mode.  
Onkyo TX-DS989, list 3800, used 500 - 800, 130X5 in 7.1, 130X2 in 2 channel
JVC1024, list 1000, used 250, 110X5 in 5.1 mode, 130X2 in 2 channel mode, this one has class A output stages.

All of the above rated at 8 ohms, more output at 4 ohms.

"No H H Scotts at that price Craig? Or sugestions?  They might be wonderful for him..."

Someone was selling a Scott for 600 that recently had 400 bucks worth of restoration work done...but these vintage tube units don't put out more than 50 watss per channel....might not be the best choice of 88 db speakers.

Limited output might be fine in a bedroom - depends on how you use it. I typically only turn on the bedroom system when going to sleep and am distracted by anything louder than barely audible. I still use SS as I think tubes would be a bit of waste for me. Having a tube amp on for 6-8 hours when I only hear it for 30-60 minutes doesn't make sense. If he's using it for more active listening, that's a different story.

The Scott mentioned was texas42 selling a 299B for $650, I think. Probably more like 20W? A nice deal but maybe not the best tool for the job.

How about one of the larger vintage HK twin powered units? Mine worked out really well in the BR - using a console pull now, though. Fisher Futura. Sounds really nice, too and looks little more subtle.

I just remembered that I've seen McIntosh MA6100 end in that price range as well on ebay. I've never heard one, but they are really classy looking and I can't imagine they'd sound bad. I was looking for one for about a week or so until I came to my senses and grabbed the Fisher out of the garage. If I'm going to spend $500 on audion in the bedroom, it should be on speakers. (That's just me, though.)

Beat this offer.....$250, includes remote, I am the original owner.

This Dolby Digital receiver features a built-in Dolby

Digital decoder, multiple digital inputs, five power amps to drive five

channels, and a subwoofer output for special effects.

. 130 watts x 2 min. RMS, both channels driven into 8

ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.02% THD

. 100 watts x 5 min. (2 Front, 1 Center, 2 Rear speakers)

RMS, into 8 ohms, 1kHz, 0.8% THD

. Back-lit Multi-Brand A/V-CATV-DBS Remote Control

. Dynamic Super-A for smooth sound reproduction virtually

free of switching and crossover distortion.

. K2 Interface (main channels) provides better resolution

,enhanced ambience, and greater depth by eliminating distortion known as

"jitter" and "ripple"

. 1-bit P.E.M. D.D. Converter (main channels) greatly

enhances signal to noise ratio and dynamic range

. Dolby Digital decoder built-in for theater quality

surround from digital sources

. Fully Discrete Outputs to ensure greater fidelity and

longer life

. Digital Acoustics Processor (DAP), with 4 preset sound

fields (DSP) to digitally recreate these venues in your own home.

. 3D-PHONIC Virtual Surround Sound creates dramatic home

theater sound with just two front speakers

. Text COMPU LINK will transmit text data carried by

media like CD-Text and MD to display on your receiver and a television

. AV COMPU LINK provides simple one touch operation

between your JVC audio and video components. For example, pop a pre-recorded

VHS tape into the VCR and it will automatically power up your receiver and your

television and then turn them each to the proper inputs.

. Enhanced COMPU LINK Control System

. TV Auto on

. Multi-Color On Screen Display simplifies control by

allowing you to choose options from your television screen to operate your

receiver

. Dot Matrix Fluorescent Display with Sound Pattern

. Line level Sub Out

. 3-band electronic S.E.A. equalization with 5 presets

and 1 manual setting for each source to give you flexible tone control and

minimize sound degradation

. Loudness switch, Balance, One-Touch Operation,

Velocity-Sensitive Rotary Encoder Volume Control

. Front Panel A/V Input with S-Video for the convenience

of hooking up any A/V source quickly and easily such as a camcorder or video

game

. 5-Channel Pre-outputs for added flexibility in creating

a high end A/V system

. 1 Assignable Coaxial Digtial Input that you can

designate to any digital source

. 2 Assignable Optical Digital inputs that you can

designate to any digital source

. 4 S-Video inputs

. 2 S-Video outputs

. 1 Composite Video output

. 2 Main Speaker Terminals

. 40 AM/FM station memory

. 2 Year parts and labor warranty

. Weight: 26.3 lbs

. Width: 17 3/16"

. Height: 6 3/16"

. Depth: 16 1/4"

. Banana Plug capable for easy connection

. High-Rigidity Z-Chassis

. Dolby Pro Logic in Full Digital Processing

. Center Tone Control

post-22082-13819325346616_thumb.jpg

A big sleeper these days is the Harman Kardon Citation 12. Not much to look at, but full dual mono construction, and a fair amount of pop in its 60 wpc. You can get the amp, the matching HK Citation 11 preamp and a reasonable tuner for under $500.

For that matter, you might be able to find a MAC 1700 or 1900 for that.

I have two offers i've come across today. First is a Parasound HCA-1000A for $220 from a coworker. Second is a Carver Pro ZR1600 from audiogon for $540 shipped.

The biggest difference being the Parasound is rated 200WPC @4ohms (John Curl designed), the Carver Pro is 600WPC @4ohms, but the carver is tripath based which has it's own positives.

Ahh decisions decisions, why is it deciding on electronics is so damn hard for me ;( I have no reason to really buy a multichannel setup because if i go multichannel, i'm definitely not going to use these speakers in that setup, buying a multichannel amp is a decision for later, when i get a house. I do indeed do serious listening in my bedroom.

-Joe

I don't want to dog any gear too much and some avr's are ok but.....I had the affor mentioned jvc,that was the very worst avr I ever owned with 2ch that would make you cry,but not the good kind.It's only my opinion so don't take it the wrong way but I would not pay $50 for one.I had a jvc from the 80's,about $1k,maybe a 90X or something close,it sounded very nice with music,big change and my last decent jvc.

"I don't want to dog any gear too much and some avr's are ok but....."

Don't worry about it...everyone knows that off shore stuff take a beaten around here.

I offered up quite a bit of off shore stuff here first at deep discounts with no takers. I put it on ebay and get the buy it now price almost instantly which is always a few hundred more than what I offer my used gear here for.

I keep forgetting that when folks ask for an options...they really want to limit responses to US made products.

"Well I personally have never heard a budget 5 channel HT receiver that sounded even remotely good in 2 channel mode. "

I am at a loss as to why this would be. Granted, I fire up my ST-70 when I desire an extended dual-channel mono session. OTOH, the only difference I hear from my Class D HT in 2 channel mode is the distinctive "musicality" of the tubes (of course there is the warm glow...but that is gravy). Granted, both sound far superior to SS at any price (proving you can't make a square wave fit a round note).

Dave

A big sleeper these days is the Harman Kardon Citation 12. Not much to look at, but full dual mono construction, and a fair amount of pop in its 60 wpc. You can get the amp, the matching HK Citation 11 preamp and a reasonable tuner for under $500.

For that matter, you might be able to find a MAC 1700 or 1900 for that.

I just picked up a mint Mac 1900 that I may sell but 45 wpc may not be enough for 88 db speakers. Depends on the size of the room.

Edit: Oops, 5100, wrong Mac.

post-10861-13819325376414_thumb.jpg