klipsch shorthorn on ebay 250.00 BIN

joessportster

When this unit was sold, stereo as we know it, wasn't as we know it, most things were still mono so one speaker sufficed just fine. I'm by no means any authority on vintage Klipsch, but if I were close enough to pick this unit up I'd be all over that BIN price.

Hopefully someone from the forum gets it, thanks for the heads up.

Just bought the speaker, Im close to the seller, should take no more than 2 hours to get there. Thanks Joe and good looking out for us newbies to the forum. Now I cant wait to get home tomorrow with it and hear how it sounds, besides the cab looks fantastic! Ill us it as center speakers to compliment my Industrial La Scalas.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now, all you Klipsch historians, whats the deal with this unit? Does anyone have specific knowledge on this unit, such as whats the power rating, DBs etc I would be interested in general details too, maybe Michael knows??

Thanks again Joe

Callaway, looks like you have a Klipsch flat kit with the original top homeplate, the early Stephens woofer(an outstanding woofer!) the correct University SAHF and the correct University Mid-T. The SAHF is decent, but the small throat and lens lead to a very directed throw. I think the Mid-T is a very poor tweeter, and it was dropped when PWK mutated the poor selling Shorthorn into the very successful Cornwall.

The crossover may have parts sourced from Klipsch, but it is not a Klipsch original- that being the K500/5000 crossover. The wings are missing, but that is not a big deal, and Bob or others would be very happy to provide dimensions. If I were using this as a mid between two La Scalas, I would disconnect the Mid-T, leave it in place, and run the woof/mid. It can handle 20 - 25 watts with little strain, and if I remember, will go to 35-40 watts, at 16 ohms. You don't want to push this limit at all, as the Stephens rebuild will run as much as your BIN price.

This is not a speaker you want to use if you are running a three channel HT setup. It will be decent as an anchor point for a recessed center channel for music. I guess it at the low 90s for efficiency. It has a very classy look - congrats on a good buy!

Thanks for the information, the cabinets and the workmanship is so good-looking I could not pass on these, especially for the price. I do plan to use these as a center speaker as I said before, do you know of upgrades that would fit this cabinet and thereby make it more capable of handling the high wattage most receivers have today?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

No matter what can or cannot be done to these I will still keep this as a keepsake or a historical piece, you just never know if I find another one to match. I will not use it in HT setup, but I fear my Pioneer SX-1250 will be way too much for her, now that you have shed some light on this unit.

Thanks Dave.

Thanks Larry, the owner said he has all types of equipment and will have this unit ready to listen to when I get there with a tube amp and CD player. So I will let you guys know how that turns out. More to come.

I wonder if the cabinet was built by the original owner. It doesn't look like the Shorthorns I've seen and the crossover doesn't look like the Klipsch crossover. Auction said something about the orignal owner "buying all of the compnents" of which Klipsch did sell spearately. Beautiful cabinet no matter who built it. These obviously are intended to be put in the corner for best bass but if you're planning on using it for a fill in center, that shouldn't matter.

If you send me your email address in a PM, I'd be happy to send you some great literature and spec sheets on the shorthorns. Picture of the original crossover in my shorthorns is below. I had Dean G build me a new set.

post-15692-13819325590892_thumb.jpg