If its too loud, you're too old!

Trey Cannon

• Moderators

dtel must not call home much.

Y'all have me curious maybe Trey or Roy will see this. Baldwin Pianos has a couple of mnf facilities in Ark which would be logical, or at least they used to.

Arky,

About a month ago, my sister in law, who is building a new house near us was asking about various sub contractors. I recommended this fella that lives about two miles from here. I told my sister in law this guy had constructed the brick columns supporting a wooden fence, across the street from us. The fence line has about forty brick columns.

I also informed her this same fella had did the brickwork for the neighbor who lives across the corner from us. I said, "this guy did all the brick columns across the street, the brick posts for the gates across the corner, the garage addition across the corner, as well as a beautiful herringbone walkway across the corner.

Dtel says, "No, it wasn't the same guy".

I thought here we go....my memory (which still functions pretty well) versus dtel's memory (which never functioned really well) I mean, dtel is very intelligent, but he uses everybody else's brain to remember things, then he forgets he borrowed someone else's memory. Anyway...

So...we immediately agreed that the fella who did the work across the street was "John Doe", but dtel still argued that it wasn't the same fella that did the work across the corner. Dtel says, "Call Sonny, (the neighbor across the corner), he'll tell you it wasn't the same guy".

So...I call Sonny...Sonny says, "Yes it's the same guy". I tell Sonny about the discussion between dtel and I...Sonny laughs and says, "You mean Elden who can't even remember his telephone number is going to argue with you about who did the brickwork".

Well....we all got a good laugh and of course dtel immediately and may I add, proudly recites our telephone number to prove he was "right".

Jump forward two days....I pull dtel's "snow coat" out for him to try it on and he begins checking the pockets and finds a piece of paper folded up in the inside pocket. I asked, "What is that?" He says...."I'm trying to unfold it"...He gets the paper unfolded and is just standing there looking at it...I ask again, "What is that?"....

Dtel says, "Our telephone number, Jamie (our 27 year old daughter) must have wrote it down and put it in this pocket when she borrowed my coat."

I almost fell on the floor laughing, as did Elden's mother, because she had witnessed everything as it was occuring.

And no he doesn't call home much, but nine years, give me a break.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

HeeHee That got me laughing. I bet he sticks a lot of junk in your purse when y'all go out too. I do that to gf so I don't have stuff in my pockets.

No....not really...I usually make him stick a few things in his pockets...cell phone (dtel would not be caught dead with one, unless I make him hold it, besides, asking him to memorize two phone numbers would be like pulling teeth), lipstick and money. No purses, no wallets...if it can't comfortably fit in dtel's front pocket it gets left at home, or hidden and locked in the vehicle.

Dtel is really funny...I couldn't believe it when he tried to blame the paper in the pocket on Jamie....all I could do was roar with laughter, because it is so like dtel to say something like that....of course, he was kidding...but he tried to play the straight man while he was saying it....you could see the "glint" in his eyes....like I said he is really funny...never a dull moment.

• Moderators

btw i'm glad the recovery is progressing. [:D]

Thanks Arky. Things are still a little rough. Dtel is still not quite is usual self. We will see what tomorrow brings. He and his beloved Kabota will be reunited! I am anxious to see the outcome.....

That is not funny Travis.[;)]

Honestly, I was more impressed by the genuine piano finish. We saw these (or another 60th anniversary pair) speakers in Hope and they are beautiful, even without the diamonds. However, those diamonds did sparkle in the photos posted which leads me to believe these are 60th anniversary speakers.

Although, I am sure the diamonds would lend themselves to WAF in some cases....maybe that was a marketing feature Klipsch incorporated.

BTW, I do like diamonds, but they are not my favorite gem.

It was a little funny.[:)]

I have heard the term piano finish before but I am not really sure what that is. Did they say what was involved in doing a piano finish? Must be very specialized of they sent it out to have it done.

Travis

Its black lacquer

"While each speaker's high-frequency cabinet is decked out in a high gloss black piano finish, the front panel of the low-frequency cabinet comes in a sophisticated Lacewood veneer."

This was taken from the Klipsch website noted in the above post.

I beg to differ with you Jay but, it is not "black lacquer", as Klipsch usually refers to. Trust me, I saw these beauties. Our group in Hope was lead by the Plant Manager. He and the two gentlemen responsible for assembly of the 60th Anniversary Khorns explained every last detail of these speakers and "black laquer" is not in the build specifications.

It is truly a "piano finish".

I didn't mean it like that..... Black Lacquer is what they use on high quality pianos from "Steinways that cost 500,000 dollars to higher but cheaper end pianos" Black lacquer is just what they use. How they finish it is different. Piano finish means that they usually apply many coats and they sand, buff etc to get a very very smooth mirror black finish. But they still use black lacquer as the finish. Also Black lacquer is the prefered method, even though it is a carcinogen, hazardous, flammable, etc, it produces a finish unlike anything else.

That is where Steinway is made, by hand, the way they have done it for 150 years. Steinway has a furniture line as well, along with furniture care and marble care products. Would not surprise me if they had a a facility that could do finishing for other companies. Who else better do a piano finish then Steinway.

Travis

I read this after the fact of my prior post.... Yep Steinway makes all the pianos still in Manhattan, warehouse I believe in Brooklyn. It takes 10 years to make a Grand Piano because the curves part of the piano is one piece that takes years to mold and bend into shape.

• Moderators

I was trying to clarify for Travis it was not Klipsch's standard "black laquer" finish, even though black laquer is used in the finishing process for the 60th Khorns. There is a huge difference between "black lacquer" finish and "high gloss black piano finish".

I knew when you posted "black lacquer" it was going to confuse him.

• Moderators

That is where Steinway is made, by hand, the way they have done it for 150 years. Steinway has a furniture line as well, along with furniture care and marble care products. Would not surprise me if they had a a facility that could do finishing for other companies. Who else better do a piano finish then Steinway.

Travis

I read this after the fact of my prior post.... Yep Steinway makes all the pianos still in Manhattan, warehouse I believe in Brooklyn. It takes 10 years to make a Grand Piano because the curves part of the piano is one piece that takes years to mold and bend into shape.

I thought it was LI, but what do I know. I bet speakerfritz would know.

• Moderators

I was trying to clarify for Travis it was not Klipsch's standard "black laquer" finish, even though black laquer is used in the finishing process for the 60th Khorns. There is a huge difference between "black lacquer" finish and "high gloss black piano finish".

That's me for sure, "easily confused."[<:o)]

So are there black pieces on the speakers that are done in high gloss piano finish? Or is the high gloss piano finish also the clear coating they apply over the wood you see in the photos?

Travis

Travis

I thought it was LI, but what do I know. I bet speakerfritz would know.

Its Queens since i looked at the website. Actually it is in Long Island City which is in Queens, which is probably why you thought LI

That's me for sure, "easily confused."[<:o)]

So are there black pieces on the speakers that are done in high gloss piano finish? Or is the high gloss piano finish also the clear coating they apply over the wood you see in the photos?

Travis

The top is the piano black as are a couple of panels in the back of the top hat section. One has the grille 'window' to the crossover network.

Do you guys want some close up detailed pix of the 60th? I think I could arrange that.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/60th-anniversary-klipschorn.aspx << For Pics!

Here ya go.. Info Wise

Detailed Description

"With a limited run of 200 pairs, the 60th anniversary Klipschorn is crafted for high-quality sonic performance and adorned with distinct aesthetic features that will never be available again.

While each speaker's high-frequency cabinet is decked out in a high gloss black piano finish, the front panel of the low-frequency cabinet comes in a sophisticated Lacewood veneer. The black anodized solid aluminum kick plate at the bottom of the speaker features a silver PWK logo with a real diamond inset, the stone that represents 60 years.

For the first time ever, the rear of the speaker has received a cosmetic, and functional "facelift." Solid panels now enclose the rear high frequency and low frequency cabinets to add a more elegant appearance, eliminate any corner and response issues and for the first time in the Klipschorns history allow for toe in or out.

Two windows are also included on the back of each anniversary Klipschorn to display an upgraded crossover network and a silver, engraved plaque that honors PWK and lists the speaker's limited production number.

For signal purity and perfect driver integration, the crossovers are made with premium components and feature high-end Van den Hul internal wiring. Magnetic grille posts allow for secure attachment and easy removal of the low-frequency grilles, while top-grade WBT binding posts ensure secure connection to any type of cable."

And nice backs on those too! hehehehehehehehe I can vouch it really works!

• Moderators

"... gimme a cigarette.... " [:^)]

that man has to carry like three packs and two lighters with him at all times LOL

Love ya Christy!

I love you too Michael. I can't wait till we come to Indy in June and we get to see you again.