If its too loud, you're too old!

Trey Cannon

've got spring break coming up in two weeks or
so...the tripod sounds like a good excuse to swing by and get the
parents to pay for the gas.

Isn't spring break supposed to be used for educational purposes?... the type of crash course given at the beach ...[A]

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

That is not funny Travis.[;)]

Honestly, I was more impressed by the genuine piano finish. We saw these (or another 60th anniversary pair) speakers in Hope and they are beautiful, even without the diamonds. However, those diamonds did sparkle in the photos posted which leads me to believe these are 60th anniversary speakers.

Although, I am sure the diamonds would lend themselves to WAF in some cases....maybe that was a marketing feature Klipsch incorporated.

BTW, I do like diamonds, but they are not my favorite gem.

It was a little funny.[:)]

I have heard the term piano finish before but I am not really sure what that is. Did they say what was involved in doing a piano finish? Must be very specialized of they sent it out to have it done.

Travis

If I am not mistaken, it's "Grand Piano Finish", not like black laquer, this is the real thing on these big dogs.

Travis those 60th Anniversary Khorns are beautiful. Too bad you don't have room for Khorns anymore.[:(] In Hope we were told they were all going overseas, then I heard a "rumor" that a few pair would be for sale in the U.S. Not sure what the real deal is on availability, but they are something else.

Hey, Travis are you going to Indy this year. We looked for you in Hope, but I don't think you made it?

First, there is some on the windows between the khorns. I thought they wanted a flat wall around them. I'd like to understand why it's on the windows. I like the solid black top hats.

60th Anniversary K's have false corners built into them

j4knee - You're right. I forgot.

I wonder if that diamond area is accessible from the bass bin. Carefully drill out the wood behind it, install a tiny little led behind the diamond, run the wire through the bass hatch. Get a little soft glow behind the diamond at night. Fun.

The 60th Anniv. Klipschorn's are very nice looking speakers. Love the combo of that type wood and grill colors. Love to have a set! Never had the honor to see a pair in person. Closed backs really have me curious how it sounds like that! Are they still available? Are they offered to the US? Love to see a pair but the dealer here only has the regular Klipschorn's in his show room.

There's a diamond on each 60th Klipschorn at the bottom? I just read this on a website search on the 60th. anniv. I never heard that, is it all 60th anniver. or custom? I can't find the 60th anniv. on the Klipsch website?

Honestly, I was more impressed by the genuine piano finish. We saw these (or another 60th anniversary pair) speakers in Hope and they are beautiful, even without the diamonds. However, those diamonds did sparkle in the photos posted which leads me to believe these are 60th anniversary speakers.

Although, I am sure the diamonds would lend themselves to WAF in some cases....maybe that was a marketing feature Klipsch incorporated.

I have heard the term piano finish before but I am not really sure what that is. Did they say what was involved in doing a piano finish? Must be very specialized of they sent it out to have it done.

Travis

Its black lacquer

• Moderators

Travis

Its black lacquer

"While each speaker's high-frequency cabinet is decked out in a high gloss black piano finish, the front panel of the low-frequency cabinet comes in a sophisticated Lacewood veneer."

This was taken from the Klipsch website noted in the above post.

I beg to differ with you Jay but, it is not "black lacquer", as Klipsch usually refers to. Trust me, I saw these beauties. Our group in Hope was lead by the Plant Manager. He and the two gentlemen responsible for assembly of the 60th Anniversary Khorns explained every last detail of these speakers and "black laquer" is not in the build specifications.

It is truly a "piano finish".

• Moderators

When you said they sent it out to have it done I didn't think it would be just black lacquer. Klipsch has been doing black lacquer forever, there really wouldn't be a need for them to outsource it, but a special piano type finish, which believe is lacquer also, I could easily see them having to go outside the facility. I think there are lot more steps to that finish. Did they say where they sent them to be finished?

Travis

• Moderators

Travis,

For some reason my brain is recalling "New York"? I remember hearing the Plant Manager say something about New York when referring to the piano finish.

These speakers are awesome looking. We did not get to audition the 60th's in Hope, even though we did audition Khorns.

Does New York sound right???

"Two windows are also included on the back of each anniversary Klipschorn to display an upgraded crossover network and a silver, engraved plaque that honors PWK and lists the speaker's limited production number." Also from the Klipsch website cited above.

This was a really cool feature of these speakers, while everything else about the speaker portrayed, elegance, sophistication and class, this little feature said, "way cool".

• Moderators

That is where Steinway is made, by hand, the way they have done it for 150 years. Steinway has a furniture line as well, along with furniture care and marble care products. Would not surprise me if they had a a facility that could do finishing for other companies. Who else better do a piano finish then Steinway.

Travis

• Moderators

I remember there was a big deal about the finish and it's easy to see why.

Dtel said he can't remember where we were told they were outsourced to. But...dtel just memerized our home telephone number last year. We moved to Mississippi nine years ago.....

I know they said New York.

Those little windows were really cool looking.

BTW....you didn't answer my question...are you planning to be in Indy this year for the Pilgramage???

• Moderators

I remember there was a big deal about the finish and it's easy to see why.

Dtel said he can't remember where we were told they were outsourced to. But...dtel just memerized our home telephone number last year. We moved to Mississippi nine years ago.....

I know they said New York.

Those little windows were really cool looking.

BTW....you didn't answer my question...are you planning to be Indy this year for the Pilgramage???

I am not sure, I am hoping too. I was all set to go to Hope but had a family emergency at the last moment. A chance to mess with Michael, how could I pass that up? He probably forgot, but he and I were supposed to go to the 500 this year, but that was before he got is killer Fortune 500 job with you know who; so who knows what is in the works with that. I have really good friends in Louisvile, just across the river, and over in Lexington. I have always wanted to tour all of the bourbon makers in KY, that would be a good before or after side trip. Gosh I am talking myself into this more and more.

YES I'M GOING. Well maybe, depends on a couple of things and I hope to know for sure early next week.

Travis

• Moderators

We knew you were on the list to attend last year. As a matter of fact, we looked for you, after all you were one of the few people we could recognize because your pic is on your avatar.

We saw your name badges on the table after everyone had picked theirs up, we were hoping you were just coming a little late...but you never showed up.

What model Cornwall's are you auditioning this weekend?

You would really like the Pilgramage and I think your wife would probably be surprised...there were quite a few wives in attendance, especially Saturday night. It was great to meet some of the folks we "talk" to all the time on here.

And...it never hurts to have a lawyer in with a dysfunctional group of people. You know, just in case......