The Eico HF-81 has reached a new high

vman71

Sam Kim certainly straightened up a lot of wires. It barely looks like an EICO anymore at all. But I hope anyone at audiogon who is considering buying this unit reads Stereophile's measurements by John Atkinson:

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/606eico/index4.html

Although some aspects of its measured performance were okaythe fairly

low output impedances, the mainly second-harmonic nature of its

distortion signature, the honest power ratingthe EICO HF-81's poor

low- and high-frequency linearity, its under-performing phono stage,

and the idiosyncratic nature of its tone controls leave me scratching

my head about why so many audiophiles regard it as one of the

best-sounding amplifiers of the "Golden Age."
John Atkinson

I'm assuming that Sam Kim improved the stock HF-81, but who knows.

Bill, if you ever thought of selling yours, there's no better time than when an ultra-expensive unit is being advertised!

I saw that too...amazing...don't let Craig see that...he is freshening my HF-81 in a couple months...yiiiikes! ;)

Bill

Yea your bill will be $2500 LOL!! I bet that amp sounds nothing even remotely similar to a original HF-81. The same can be said for the modified Scott amplifiers from Maple Shade audio. The Maple Shades sound very much like a modern Joilda with a bit better iron.

Craig

OK. Where are the power supply caps and the rectifiers? It appears he installed solid state recification and went to a whole different power supply setup. "Kept the original circuit?" I don't think so... I don't know it can even be called an Eico HF-81 anymore.

Sam Kim certainly straightened up a lot of wires. It barely looks like an EICO anymore at all. But I hope anyone at audiogon who is considering buying this unit reads Stereophile's measurements by John Atkinson:

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/606eico/index4.html

Although some aspects of its measured performance were okaythe fairly

low output impedances, the mainly second-harmonic nature of its

distortion signature, the honest power ratingthe EICO HF-81's poor

low- and high-frequency linearity, its under-performing phono stage,

and the idiosyncratic nature of its tone controls leave me scratching

my head about why so many audiophiles regard it as one of the

best-sounding amplifiers of the "Golden Age."
John Atkinson

I'm assuming that Sam Kim improved the stock HF-81, but who knows.

Bill, if you ever thought of selling yours, there's no better time than when an ultra-expensive unit is being advertised!

My Scott LK-48 (NOS Valves update and new power transformer would eat the Eico for lunch. I would be more than happy to sell it for half the price of the Eico listed.

What dumb pricing you can find for this passion.

Keep in mind, though, Rick, this is just the asking price. It looks like the guy who wrote the review did dump a total of close to $2000 in it, though. I'm not sure where the extra thousand added value came from--maybe for the trouble of writing the ad on audiogon?

Craig did his usual magic...replacement of out of spec parts and anything else that he felt needed to be changed out or cleaned up and/or resoldered. I know that he replaced some electrolytic caps, coupling caps, resistors, etc. The previous owner had also put in some Russian oil caps and some other replacement parts.

Once I got it back from Craig, I slowly replaced the tubes that came with it with the following (which made it sound even better):

- Matching quad of early 60's Amperex EL84 output tubes

- Matching pair of early 60's Telefunken (long, smooth plate) 12AX7 tubes

- Matching pair of early 60's Bugle Boy 12AU7 tubes

- Matching pair of NOS RCA 6CA4 rectifier tubes

I do have a couple of spare pairs of tubes that I will be selling (just haven't got around to posting):

- Matching pair of early 60's RCA 6189 triple mica black plates (6189 is an American sub for the 12AU7) - these are supposed to be very rare

- Matching pair of NOS RCA 6CA4 rectifier tubes

I plan on refitting it with an IEC outlet and putting in some binding posts to allow for bigger and thicker spades.

Mike

I have never heard the Eico HF-81, but I would put my previously sold (Colonial Hoo you out there?) Scott 299 w/NOSValves rebuild (his 2nd if I'm not mistaken in 2001) up against it, and bet it sounds better during vinyl playback. Those 299's sure do have a sweet phono stage in them! Anybody out there got both and care to comment?

Mike

Yea your bill will be $2500 LOL!! I bet that amp sounds nothing even remotely similar to a original HF-81. The same can be said for the modified Scott amplifiers from Maple Shade audio. The Maple Shades sound very much like a modern Joilda with a bit better iron.

Craig

Boy, talk about damning with faint praise!

Craig

Boy, talk about damning with faint praise!