Klipschorn Model Changes

seti

The klipschorn has been through many changes over the years and I was wondering about some of the cosmetic changes. In particular the collar seperating the bass bin from the mf hf section. I noticed some khorns don't have collars. Which khorn models do not have a collar but sit directly on the basshorn part of the cabinet? Why would they ditch the collar?

all C style k-horns do not have the riser. according to the 74 price list. k-horns came in 3 styles. B style came with the riser. C style no riser and D style for decorator or no grill cloth. this letter is marked on the rear label

I think they eliminated the collar from the new ones (2006) in the belief that it would improve the K-Horn's appearance. I think they looked better with the collar -- less monolithic. When the new ones are pictured from a low camera angle, I tend to hear "Thus Spake Zarathustra."

Prior to 2005 or 2006, the top-line model of the K-horn was the "B" style; I don't recall the exact history, but for many years there was the "C" style which lacked the collar. See http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Klipsch/1957k.jpg.

Then, in 2006 I guess, they inserted a new, reduced collar rather than eliminating it entirely:

Klipschorn (1)

They inserted the same reduced collar in the new La Scala II, which took it from this:

Lascala

To this:

LaScala II (1)

I like the styling uniformity between the two, but miss the classic B-style collar.

lc

Thanks for all the info.

Now I really like the new Khorn even though it is missing the collar because it is so well crafted. My preference is for the old school model b collar. I think it is the model C where it almost loolks like the grill is ontop of the basshorn but pushed back about an inch. I suppose that is two less boards they don't have to cut but it looks a little strange to me. Perhaps that is because I have spent more time around the model B.

I think they eliminated the collar from the new ones (2006) in the belief that it would improve the K-Horn's appearance. I think they looked better with the collar -- less monolithic. When the new ones are pictured from a low camera angle, I tend to hear "Thus Spake Zarathustra."

I guess if that happened to me I'd throw a bone into the air to see if it turned into the Space Shuttle[:P]

• 2 weeks later...

Gary... I pretty much agree. When I was rebuilding my '84 K-horns, I was originally going for the "new, monolothic" look... but when I got it done, the look just didn't ring my bell. So, I remade the top panel with a 2.5" overhang and added a black detail between the top hat and the bass bin. The resulting look really fits in well with the rest of the decor...

Rob

Posted Image

Posted Image