Question - - Help- - Should I buy Klipschorns to replace my Cornwalls?

spfl

I have owned a pair of Cornwalls for two or three years now and have been VERY happy. Every once in a while, I wonder if Klipschorns would sound substantially better. I listen mostly to what would now be considered classic rock, 98% cd's, using an Eico st70 integrated amp and an Icon 2 cd player. So this question is for those of you who have lived with both Cornwalls and Klipschorns for a good period of time; how would you characterize the differences in sound of each speaker. Thanks In advance for any comments.

You should at least listen to some to get an idea if they would be better than your cornwalls. Then if you have the proper room to set them up in. You will be asking your self why you waited so long to get them.

My room is large enough but it only has one corner that does not have a door. This is the only reason I dont have a pair myself. Later Bill

There is really only one reason NOT to move up to Khorns, and that is if you don't have the proper room for them. They need two good corners, preferably without obstruction for some distance out from the corner, preferably without obstruction between them, and preferably locating them on the longer wall of a rectangular shaped room. They are more fussy about placement and the room than the Cornwalls.

The biggest difference in sound between the Cornwall and the Khorn is in the midrange. The Khorn midrange is much larger and much more noticeably clearer and more detailed. It might depend on the music you listen to in determining which midrange you prefer, but there's no question that the Khorn will more accurately reproduce and disperse the midrange into the room.

The other big difference is in the bass. Both the Cornwall and the Khorn extend quite deep, but the Cornwall has a much more in-your-face bass, whereas the Khorn bass fills the room and almost comes at you from around the sides of your listening position.

The Khorn is a much bigger and broader sound overall.

Hope that helps.

Greg

There is really only one reason NOT to move up to Khorns, and that is if you don't have the proper room for them. They need two good corners, preferably without obstruction for some distance out from the corner, preferably without obstruction between them, and preferably locating them on the longer wall of a rectangular shaped room. They are more fussy about placement and the room than the Cornwalls.

The biggest difference in sound between the Cornwall and the Khorn is in the midrange. The Khorn midrange is much larger and much more noticeably clearer and more detailed. It might depend on the music you listen to in determining which midrange you prefer, but there's no question that the Khorn will more accurately reproduce and disperse the midrange into the room.

The other big difference is in the bass. Both the Cornwall and the Khorn extend quite deep, but the Cornwall has a much more in-your-face bass, whereas the Khorn bass fills the room and almost comes at you from around the sides of your listening position.

The Khorn is a much bigger and broader sound overall.

Hope that helps.

Greg

This mirrors my experience exactly (particularly the latter parts). I own Klipschorns and Heresy III. But I have had the chance to A / B Cornwall III and Klipschorns at a local stereo store. The difference is significant, both sound wonderful but the Khorn FILLS the room with a much bigger sound. If you have the correct room go for it. The difference is that dramatic.

- Jim

The sound quality of the Cornwall is very good...but the dynamic range of the Khorn is breath taking.

Well said!

I own both and I do like Cornwalls.

If your room has the corners for K-Horns, you will also find the bass to be a bit more accurate and the the mids to be less "nasal" than the Cornwalls.

-Tom

I agree that if you have corners, go for the k-horns. They

actually do kind of disappear in the corners compared to cornwalls or

lascalas. I find the over all tonal balance of the k-horns to be

the big difference for me. They just sound right...the most life

like. However if you are a bass fanatic you may prefer the corns.

I agree completely with Greg and others re the differences between Cornwalls and K-horns. I have owned both, and several other speakers besides, and much prefer the sound of the K-horns. If you turn Cornwalls at a 45 degree angle in the corners, the volume of space they take up in terms of footprint is close to that of the K-horns. Of  course the K-horns are huge, but they do kind of nestle into the corners nicely.

If you have good corners to put them in and can tolerate their size, the sound they make is wonderful.

George

I had cornwalls for eight years and klipschorns for five or six. They're both great speakers in the right set-up, the k-horns being MUCH more fussy about room dimensions, layout and their placement within the room. I'd say it goes beyond just needing two good corners for them to sound their best. The room dimensions also need to be favorable to reproducing bass in the front corners. Some rooms just aren't. In the right room though, I'd take the big cornerhorns every time. Otherwise, give me a cornwall with the k-horn midrange driver and horn!