How will my system benefit from a tube amp?

ajcllc

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mas,

I am prescribing you a dose of PMID (Pre-emptive Meltdown Intervention Distraction) to give you some time to cool off... its a distortion calculation:

Rx - Perform PMID Calculation, take mentally with Music

If current at zero volt grid bias is 115ma, and current at half the quiescent bias voltage is 89ma, and the quiescent current is 65ma, and the current at one and one half times the quiescent bias voltage is 42ma, and the current at twice the quiescent bias voltage is 23ma; then what are the 2nd, 3rd, and 4rth harmonic distortion percentages?

Dr. Pauln

I hope he is taking a break...

All this talk about tube distortion, I had to go downstairs and listen for some. Turned on the VRDs and BBX, waited about 2 minutes (not 2 hours), cranked up some Tull and heard only crisp, clean, deep, chest-pounding bass, beautiful airy mids and sparkling highs. Craig and Mark must have hidden solid state circuits underneath all of those tubes. I certainly would hear some major distortion otherwise!!!

Tull?! Awesome. Damn, I have to put that on in the morning... its been a while since I listened to witches brew.

Did listen to Disturbed today. Man. Crank that up on the Khorns and you are blown away by the drums and guitar riffs. Don't even need vocals - hell, can't understand them for the most part anyway.

"we still don't know what kind of music Mas likes, or if he even has a stereo."

Yeah right. You must have missed it because the thread didn't have the word "transformer" in it.

Thanks Pauln, I like the meter, I was trying to find earlier one but was unable to locate one without some advertising logo across it... But it may still be to complex...it has more than 2 choices.

And all because some had the audacity to suggest that a tube or a SS amp can sound just fine.

It is Sooooo easy to push your buttons. All we have to do is use words you don't understand and half of you immediately complain, the others begin attempting to argue against the notion, despite not having a clue what it is (unless if advocates either a large transformer, cables, or outrageously expensive capacitors for a passive crossover in systems with Large signal offsets), and all because some of you cannot fathom that the amplifier (be it SS or tube) is not the single largest limiting factor in the signal chain.

And the best anyone can come up with is that they like lots of even order harmonic distortion. Yawn.

Well EOHD/OOHD are pretty easy to get here. Just read every other post. And it doesn't matter where you start.

But I think that we may have all missed the boat. It may be the ozone they can produce. Such an emotional frenzy.

Lets see...cables, tubes, pricey capacitors, Monster and Bose. At least the list of topics that stir your guys souls isn't too long. But long enough to push the buttons of 98% of the folks here. I can only imagine what's the next magic solution; the color of the listening chair or the 3/16" tapestry? I still think that those cable stands have the potential to sway quite a crowd here. You just have to watch out, lest you step in one of the camps selling their magic beans here. Ka Ching!

It's sooo easy![:P]

Mas, I have read your reference compodium. I have (respectfully) requested you post a couple examples of your measurements involving Heritage with tubes/SS to allow us to see examples of this conversation. If you are not going to post any examples, there is little need to insult everyone else.

I come from Missouri, the Show Me state. AS PWK proved, you can wear and flash a [bs] button if you have measurements to support your claims, and others just have...blather. At this point, show us some cheese, or admit you can't. This isn't a Star Trek convention.

Oooops, did I miss something here ? Guess I've been too busy with my new TUBE amp to follow this thread, will have to take some time and read this thread.....don't know what's going on, can only comment about my NEW speakers,thanks to TUBES..........I'VE BEEN TUBED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet another stunning revelation and you guys missed it. Your amp is not the largest limiting factor in the chain. My gosh, these are revolutionary claims.

Mas, things aren't as easy as you think.

Most of what you think you're informing us about are things most of us have known or understood intuitively for a long, long time. Hence, the constant references to source components and the marriage of solid state and tubes (Try reading a few posts aside from your own.) We all know equipment must be selected for function and application and, of course, "synergy" in the system and we didn't need Heysers theory or a software program to model it out for us.

You have ridiculed the pro-measurements folks while mistaking them as anti-measurement folks, you have boasted of the new way which ends subjectivity and proclaimed the old way (measure & listen), and you have made proclamations of insight while repeating what most if not all already know. You, sir, have failed to live up to your own hype and have been unable to demonstrate the basic ability to observe that which is in front of you.

And to think that some were betting that he couldn't read any of it without help!

Congrats!

You are right!

And my original thought before the entire thing exploded with additional insights by folks like you was: that there are both SS and tube amps that would work well. As I am of the opinion, that both formats have some quality pieces of equipment. And to go further, there are some new methods of examining the interaction of systems.

I have "ridiculed the pro-measurement" folks? Kindly remove your head from your posterior or get a window installed so that you can see where you are stumbling about.

And I have posited a method to "end subjectivity"?

Yeah! Right! And you won't even need ears to enjoy your stereo! I guess that is analogous to your entering the silly debate without using your brain.

The point was, the new methods of examination have the potential to bring the measurements and the subjective experience into closer alignment! Now sit down, and get some help to read this very slowly.

There are some great SS and tube amps. Neither is ABSOLUTELY better. Now I know this upsets some to hear it, so I delight in saying it! But then, I don't have a product that I am trying to sell.

And just out of curiously, aside from my earth-shakingly obvious pronouncements that have gotten you all worked up, do you have anything to add aside from simply attacking me? Isn't there something of substance we could debate? I really don't care, but as I don't necessarily read all of the individual posts, I will be able to totally skip yours. But, if you are in the market for some cable stands, I am confident that I could find a link for you...but be aware, I am sure they are pricey! But I understand that insures that they work really well! They only let 'audiophiles' buy them...or so I am told.

Oh, and I have failed to demonstrate the utility of the process? Oh! The process about which you haven't a clue! Funny, you sound like you are looking for a simple meter like Pauln posted! I should have realized. It is a process where by you examine several related domains. And you examine them for the degrees of correlation in several respects. Oh, but that would imply that you would have to keep track of several thoughts simultaneously. And it mean that you would have to do some of the measurements yourself.

But I guess you are still looking for the "god/Bad" label master equipment guide.

I suspect you'll find it right next to the generic "acoustic treatment in a box" guaranteed good for Any room section.

Drop by a local drive through car wash...you need that window cleaned badly![:P]

Mas,

More revelations. The latest tidbit: There are no absolutes. Whoo hoo!

Do not mistake folks being "worked up" over your pedantic posturing with them being upset over your silly pronouncements of insight.

I, myself, find you entertaining in a "Rain Man" sort of way.

Your original thought, in case you don't recognize it, was the only thing a tube amp has over a SS amp is more distortion. A blatant distortion of the truth.

We could argue about the substance of your posts - but there hasn't been any. I didn't state you posited any methods; you claimed a lot and failed to demonstrate anything other than a verbosity that borders on self-absorption. Truly, you have missed your calling - you would do well hawking colon cleansers in a late-night infomercial.

In the end, you are merely white noise.

...failed to demonstrate?

I don't need to fix your car to demonstrate that I am familiar or adept with cars.]

So, in order to prove the concept posited by few who HAVE produced and made possible by the various analyzers which work amazingly well, I must stop and conduct a complete study of equipment completely different from that which someone might be contemplating.

ROFLMAO!

I have no problem with my amps. And when I get around to it, I just might decide to reconfigure the system and make a study of the system if and when it compliments the other projects I am working on.

And if I assert a way to acoustically tune a room, in order to do so I must tune your room as well?

Wait right here! Like a I give a $%#& about your desires. But thanks for the laughs.

I also like scuba diving. Do I need to dress up in the wet suit for you too? Will that 'do it' for you?

You are still arguing a point I thought ludicrous from the start! You are looking for a definitive answer to how 'something' will sound!

I don't think that is a reasonable question, and as such a specific answer cannot be given - despite so many who are more than willing to say exactly how 'a tube amp' or "hashy" SS amp will sound! ...That is, aside from their foregone conclusions.

The question determines the form of the answer, and I am still amazed that so many are willing to state exactly how a non-specified
combination of gear will sound. But not you. You have offered even less substance.

By the way, I am thinking of doing yard work outdoors. What will the weather be like?

Now be specific. And demonstrate your methodology for us.