WTB: McIntosh MR-78 and/or C-22

Timmikid

Dear forum members. As many know, I acquired the heart of my system from people on this forum. First I bought the H.H. Scott 272 from Craig (NOSValves) , then Heresy II's from Marius Petrovic (who I have not seen for a long time on the forum) then the Mapletree 4A pre-amp from Don (Dflip) and finally my beloved MC30's from Joe (Auwen) and many others helped in this latest project, for instance Dave (Audible Nectar), the MC30's cap- and tube-experimentalist. In the meantime I went from the aforementioned Heresy II's to Industrial La Scala's to Khorns. Yes, I have come a long way, but the upgrade road is never ending, I am glad, because I like riding it!!! Circumstances caused that suddenly I have a bit of a budget to spend here. [:)]

Two things. I always wanted to have a Mac tuner and because I don't have a tube tuner guru here in the Netherlands, the holy grail has to be the MR-78! [:P] The other thing; the Mapletree pre is nice and great value for the money, but as I said, upgrade-itis struck and as you all know it cannot be cured. It would be nice to find a C-22 to complement the MC-stuff. It will have to go through Craig's hands first ofcourse to squeeze a few Jensens in there. [:P]

Ofcourse I am looking myself as well (let a nice one slip away yesterday on epay), but maybe one of you has a lead somewhere. I appreciate your help (again) and I just want to add that whatever I end up with will not be sold for profit. If for some reason (I can't think why) I have to sell , I will offer it back on the forum, but rest assured they will get a good home, nice friends and they will be here to stay. Thanks again and all the best, Tim.

Correct. The C-22 has a high collector value, but this is too much. I have decided that a tube tuner is not a good idea, because there is not a tube mechanic here (In the Netherlands) that I trust with a tubetuner. The MR-78 looks nice, I could make an offer, no hurry though, the unit will be sent to Audio Classics for a complete check-up and upgrade. Thanks for looking and advise! Tim.

Very true. Must be a fantastic piece, no real buts there. Though I must say I have fallen in love with the looks and expanded possibilities of the MR-78 and what I have read the preamp of the C22 is just a bit better than the MX110, although I am not 100% sure of that. I have also heard that the C11has about the same inside as the C22 and is therefore the sleeping giant, but ... the C22 looks prettier doesn´t she= )suddenly question mark stopped working, must replace batteries of keyboard...

Thanks Sheltie Dave! I just read your post after I replied. Bear in mind that checkup, shipping and import taxes will be a big part of the total cost, so initial sale price is )just' a little less important. Still, are there links-pics to these offers= )sorry' keyboard breaking up...

I have an MR-71 that has a rough chassis (the chrome is beyond pitted) with all original tubes, a nice looking faceplate, and the wooden cabinet (which I am going to refinish) which I will be selling at some time. I was going to send it off to Terry Dewick where he would give it the full treatment. Upgrades will include:

1 - All tubes checked and replaced as necessary.

2 - Full IF, RF, and Demultiplex Alignment.

3 Replacement of capacitors in audio path, tuner, and power supply as optioned.

4 Full cleaning of chassis and front panel.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Cost:

1 - $90 for checkout, alignment, and cleaning only.

2 - $225 for audio and tuner upgrades with alignment and cleaning.

3 - $325 for audio, tuner, and power supply upgrades, NTC turn on surge resistor, P.S. diode replacement, with alignment and cleaning.

Note:

Prices are for IC (Illinois Capacitors, 10%, 105°C) with other brands extra cost.

Additional parts not listed or tubes are additional cost.

Mike

• Moderators

Very true. Must be a fantastic piece, no real buts there. Though I must say I have fallen in love with the looks and expanded possibilities of the MR-78 and what I have read the preamp of the C22 is just a bit better than the MX110, although I am not 100% sure of that. I have also heard that the C11has about the same inside as the C22 and is therefore the sleeping giant, but ... the C22 looks prettier doesn´t she= )suddenly question mark stopped working, must replace batteries of keyboard...

I have an MX-110 that I would be willing to sell. It has just come from a full check up from Craig at Nos Valves, feel free to contact him about it. He will tell you it is one of the nicest MX-110's he has ever seen, that the tuner is in perfect allignment, the lettering is 90%, it shines like chrome, there is no pitting. He replaced everything that needed replacing, he called me about a couple of minor things and said they could wait or he could go ahead and do it now, and I told him to go ahead with everything. I think he will tell you that you should not have to worry about the preamplifier or the tuner section of this unit for a very, very long time. You certainly will not need a capacitor, since he sent me a bucket full when he returned the unit.

I have not tried this, but he said that he was able to put it side by side with his Blueberry and, with some tone adjustments, get it to sound the "same." I don't know if he meant identical, or what speakers he was listening to or the source. I have played it exactly 8 hours since I got it back from him. (That reminds me I either need to send him some money or return two tubes to him). I have the original manual, not a photo copy, a McIntosh Shipping box from Classic Audio that is bullet proof. If you are interested let me know, I am at tcwesq@texas.net

Travis

I have not tried this, but he said that he was able to put it side by side with his Blueberry and, with some tone adjustments, get it to sound the "same." I don't know if he meant identical, or what speakers he was listening to or the source. I have played it exactly 8 hours since I got it back from him. (That reminds me I either need to send him some money or return two tubes to him). I have the original manual, not a photo copy, a McIntosh Shipping box from Classic Audio that is bullet proof. If you are interested let me know, I am at tcwesq@texas.net

Travis

I think Craig once shook his head in disbelief when I said my MX110 sounded similar to my Blueberry. Maybe not. Maybe it was that I couldn't tell the difference between CocaCola Can sized capacitors and regular pretty white and yellow ones.

Travis

I think Craig once shook his head in disbelief when I said my MX110 sounded similar to my Blueberry. Maybe not. Maybe it was that I couldn't tell the difference between CocaCola Can sized capacitors and regular pretty white and yellow ones.

Hey, I'll tell ya.......the MX-110 is an underrated performer. If one can find a good example, they are an excellent preamp for the price. Mine has been largely rebuilt, and only with "pedestrian" caps (it's due for new multi section cans, though).....and I've trucked that thing in and out of several high $$$ systems comparing it to much more expensive preamps. It's why I still have it, and haven't sold it. I can only imagine what it would sound like with better caps. I need to get the multisection cans done - and it needs a tuner adjustment, and keep kicking around the idea of upgrading the other caps in the audio path. It doesn't surprise me that it comes close to a BB after the Craig treatment, because mine's not too far off, either. And that's with Solen and IC caps. And if you're running it on Mac amps, it's REALLY a good combo.

I can understand wanting a C22 (what Mac lover wouldn't)......but haven't been able to justify doing that for myself......I think with a good cap upgrade could get close to C22 performance with my MX-110.

Oh, and Travis......bet mine looks better than yours[;)] What kinda caps did Craig use on your unit???

• Moderators

Travis

Hey, I'll tell ya.......the MX-110 is an underrated performer. If one can find a good example, they are an excellent preamp for the price. Mine has been largely rebuilt, and only with "pedestrian" caps (it's due for new multi section cans, though).....and I've trucked that thing in and out of several high $$$ systems comparing it to much more expensive preamps. It's why I still have it, and haven't sold it. I can only imagine what it would sound like with better caps. I need to get the multisection cans done - and it needs a tuner adjustment, and keep kicking around the idea of upgrading the other caps in the audio path. It doesn't surprise me that it comes close to a BB after the Craig treatment, because mine's not too far off, either. And that's with Solen and IC caps. And if you're running it on Mac amps, it's REALLY a good combo.

I can understand wanting a C22 (what Mac lover wouldn't)......but haven't been able to justify doing that for myself......I think with a good cap upgrade could get close to C22 performance with my MX-110.

Oh, and Travis......bet mine looks better than yours[;)] What kinda caps did Craig use on your unit???

Audible,

I don't believe I have seen your MX-110, can you post some photos?

Travis

I have tried on repeated occasions to take system pics for the forum, and they come out looking like doggie-doo. This camera takes poor pictures in low light, and my rooms tend to be darker anyway (lots of woods and such) which adds to the low light perception of the camera. Since all these pics would do is prove that I had the gear and little else, I haven't bothered to post them.

Maybe when I quit spending $$ on amps, caps, and tubes I'll get around to buying new comp stuff[8-)] I HATE spending $ on computers/etc.....but I do need to.

I may be ribbin' ya a little, but I must admit that I'm fortunate to have a unit I obtained as one owner with all the records, who loved and cared for it like his baby. It really is a looker, and I must say that it is rare to see one better. It's not mint, but "near mint" would be an apt description. It's hard to justify parting with it.

Good Morning all! (morning in Europe) Thanks Mike, Travis, Scott and Dave, food for thought really... Travis, your MX110 is tempting, tough to make up my mind with only one cup of coffee down. I will send you a mail. Unfortunately I'll have to run to work in a few minutes, I would have liked to do some more research on the web. Dave, your MX110 must be smashing if it's still "worthy" to run the source through to your superdeluxe masterly rebuilt MC30's. That's another point for the MX110. I will think it all over. In the meantime, keep suggestions and leads and ideas coming please. Thanks! Tim.