RF-5 vs RF-7

dvcdude

I have a 15' x 25' dedicated HT and have just completed accoustic treatments. Currently have RF-25's and RC-35 for front stage with 4 RS-25's. I am thinking of an upgrade on floorstands. I have been looking for a pair of black RF-5's and just came across a great deal on RF-7's. I think the 7's would overpower the rest of my system and am reluctant to purchase.

I know there is a great deal of experience on this board and just looking for some advice.

Thanks,

Dave

Let's say you find the 5's for $6-700 and the 7's for $1k,get the 7's.The 5's may be a better match with your current set but you might also decide you'd like a better center etc later on.The 5's are very nice and would be a big step up from 25's.The 7's will just take it up another notch and you may be happier longer,with them.

What Fish said....You'll certainly be looking to up-grade your center with the RC-7. I auditioned both the RF-7 and RF-5 and ended up buying the RF5, it was'nt a decision i regretted, with prices the way they are now the RF-5 is great speaker for the money.

PhilMays said it best, don't worry about "overpowering" your other speakers. get the db meter at radio shack, it's around $50 and remember to get the ANALOG! the digital doesn't work as well. you may also want to get a dvd that does the test tones, your processor's test tones might not work as well. you can get that dvd anywhere. the dvd will walk you through everything you need to know.

ps. you will also want a tri pod to hold the meter, if you don't you can get different readings and sometimes pick up extra noise just by holding it. with the tri pod it makes setting the speakers easier and will yeild better results.

At 3000 cu/ft, the 7's shouldn't overpower your room. As stated earlier, just callibrate everything. I had 5's and 7's in the same room with the same equipment driving them at 2 different times. Everything was set up with a meter both times. The 7's sounded "fuller" for some reason. Don't know why. When comparing timbre, I always like to listen to pink noise in the different speakers. Unmatched speakers just plain sound different to me. When comparing the timbre of the RF-7's and RF-5's to the RC-7, I didn't hear a noticeable difference, so I can't account for the "fuller" sound. Maybe it's the size of the drivers. I prefer the 7's for HT. That being said, I sometimes favor my 5's for 2 channel listening.

Buy the 7's. If not, you will just get the upgrade bug a few months down the road and eventually end up with them like I did. BTW - I thought the 5's sounded rather harsh (although in all fairness, I believe I was using a lower model Denon AVR at the time). To me, the 7's were a noticeable improvement. They will not overpower if you calibrate them, as others have said. I have in-walls for my rear-surrounds, and the system sounds fine to me (ie. everything is calibrated to equal SPF levels). Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1