Colter needs Tubes

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who - Have you heard LaScala or Khorns with a higher sloped network? Or, what types were in the ones you've heard?

Heck if I know, I'm not into all those crazy technical details...they all sound like khorns to me - slightly different flavors here and there, but mostly the same [:)]

I believe the AK-4 or whatever the newest khorn crossover is has been my favorite...though that's probably not fair because the speaker was brand new too, which means them drivers aren't worn out and all that craziness. Nevertheless, I believe it's the steepest so far that Klipsch has gone with? I haven't heard the ESN's as far as I know.

I don't think it would dramatically change the way an amp sounds with a pair of speakers though....except maybe SET that generally speaking has a hard time with impedance swings.

• Moderators

I just can't believe you've never heard all of your nice klipsch's without tubes. They go together like rats and cheese wiz.

In 4 years of reading on this forum I have never heard it said quite like that Whamo ! They go together like rats and cheese wiz. [Y]

From what OB and many others have said it sounds like a Scott is really good for the price ? Almost everyone who has sold them says they were sorry.

Audio Flynn, was it the " Legend " Cd, it's one of my favorite Bob Marley recording ?

Yes

I had the first CD issue and it was only OK. Remastered version is far more dynamic.

NATTY DREAD is awesome........BURNIN'.......KAYA......EXODUS.......ALL BOB MARLEY sounds better on TUBES...seems to clean up the Bottom end, the Boominess of the bass is smoothed right out...............COLTER...your first experience with TUBES should probably be a Scott intergrated, simple, user friendly...NOSvalved Scott equals ; BIG SMILES.........you can always experiment with other tube set-ups later........

Michael,

I'll bring over 3 tube units if you wish. I'll bring a 14 watt per integrated, 30 watt per EL34 newer amp, or a pair of 75watt per monoblocks. I'll bring over a couple of preamps also. Your call buddy. You can judge for yourself. Give me a call

HarryO

I wish he was talking to me.....

Sure Harry, that sounds like fun. Bring Miss K over if you wish also.

Meagain, sadly all I've done is collect. Most of my Heritage are bone stock, except for Bob's AA/A's in the LS. I could swap them into the Khorns for tube listening though.

M

icon-quote.gif
arfz28:

Somthing must be wrong with your HK-430, mine is very quite and sounds wonderfull on my 84 k-horns. I have a scott 299b restored by Craig and it has plenty of power for my k-horns and sounds very nice.

Alan,

Just curious, which one sounds better to you and why?

BTW colter, if you do decide to go with a Scott amp, don't worry if it doesn't have a case with it. arfz28 builds some killer custom hardwood covers for the Scotts.

Piranha, both amps sound very good, the hk-430 seems to have a better bottom end a tad tighter bass, its truly a litttle bass monster, but the scott really shines in the midrange and upper end. If I had too get rid of one it would be the hk-430 the scott aint going anyware.

Who - Have you heard LaScala or Khorns with a higher sloped network? Or, what types were in the ones you've heard?

Heck if I know, I'm not into all those crazy technical details...they all sound like khorns to me - slightly different flavors here and there, but mostly the same [:)]

I believe the AK-4 or whatever the newest khorn crossover is has been my favorite...though that's probably not fair because the speaker was brand new too, which means them drivers aren't worn out and all that craziness. Nevertheless, I believe it's the steepest so far that Klipsch has gone with? I haven't heard the ESN's as far as I know.

I don't think it would dramatically change the way an amp sounds with a pair of speakers though....except maybe SET that generally speaking has a hard time with impedance swings.

Who - It's not into the 'technical detail' category IMO. It's critical.

Colter - What drivers are in your khorns and did they come with AA? And, I wouldn't wait one minute to put Bob's x-overs in the khorns if you are currently running them stock! And.... have you considered going with quality over quantity? Instead of buying more & more speakers - why not take that money and sink it into what you have to ramp up the sound? Like... my father in law bought his girlfriend (about 20 years his jr.) a big a** diamond ring. Crazy big. But it's visibly flawed, doesn't 'pop' or glimmer. He should've just invested in quality. IMO. Crossovers make a huge difference!

Sell a few pairs of speakers and buy some good gear and some good crossovers! I can't even listen to stock crossovers in my khorns anymore. Not even Bob's refurbished A/AAs. The good ones are just SO much better. You get what you pay for!

Sell a few pairs of speakers and buy some good gear and some good crossovers! I can't even listen to stock crossovers in my khorns anymore. Not even Bob's refurbished A/AAs. The good ones are just SO much better. You get what you pay for!

He shoots......HE SCORES!!!!!!

C'mon guys...given that we are all wackos compared to the population at large when it comes to audio I think it best to not criticize any man's obsession.

He shoots......HE SCORES!!!!!!

C'mon guys...given that we are all wackos compared to the population at large when it comes to audio I think it best to not criticize any man's obsession.

Let me rephrase.

My suggestion:

Next time you're thinking of buying another pair of speakers, get some new crossovers for your Khorns instead. Don't sell any of your babies if you don't want to. JMHO :)

I've found that upgraded networks don't matter nearly as much with Cornwalls as with Khorns.