Colter needs Tubes

It's go time fellas.

I have these lovely KB-WO's in my gallery, have them hooked up to a HK430, but it's noisy and with the Khorns extreme efficiency its bothersome to say the least.

So I figure it's time to quit buying plywood boxes and start buying some good upstream components. I've heard y'all preaching about it. Now's the time.

If anyone has something they'd want to bring over and demo, or clearing the closet, or just making a suggestion, hit me.

I would say that I have a new Yamaha RXV 2600 in the Hearth room with LS and CW's. That is my main system. There are Crown amps and the LSI's and MCM's in the garage for high powered rock and roll.

The Khorns are in a very lively plaster and hardwood room. This is for finesse listening at surprisingly low volumes.

Any help?

M

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael,

I seem to remember you had or have a lot on your plate.........so to speak......... Do you really want to add A Tube receiver to the Mix?

If this is for your Studio room, I'd suggest just find a nice Integrated Amp to run the Heresys.........and be done with it! JMHO

[*-)]

**** luck on your tube equipment hunt.

Advice based on a year or so of trial and retrial of tube equipment.

You can't go wrong with equipment that has been recently serviced and "restored" assuming the restoration was comprehensive and from reputable folks.  There are frequent offerings in this category on this forum.  Restored mono blocks are a good value if you need lots of watts.

If you stray off the beaten path, there are a lot of players that make good gear.  Cary is one company that comes to mind.  Last week a nice amp sold for 500 bucks on ebay.

The integrated amp is a more cost effective way of getting a decent setup.  But weight the power output of integrated amps and recievers.  While most folks can get by with a few watts, trying to use a 17 reciever as a PA amplifier will sound like a flock of birds flying into a window fan at high power levels.

Check into the type of tubes the amp you are considering uses, as well as the bias proceedures.

Someone had some mono blocks last week for sale that were 30 or 35 watts each which had been serviced and recent tube replacement.  Price was very attractive (350 - 400 dollar range)  and it sounded like on this pair, you would not need a pre-amp.

Hello,

I just got my first tube integrated amp this weekend. It is a Rogue Tempest II with a Cambride Audio 840C CD player. I hooked it up to my Khorns. The sound is simply amazing. I have never heard all the instuments so seperated for a lack of words. It is kind of spoky the guitar is playing to the right drums in the back vocals up front and so on. This set up blows way past my Haalo C2 A51 combo. I will not be going back to Solid State ever for 2 channel again.

rmlowz

Rich, I admit I'm not familar with the Rogue so I'm clueless on what kind it is. You might want to try to listen to a SE-OTL (Single Ended Output TransformerLess) amp. I had a pair of Transcendent SE-OTL's and they were bluntly, the sweetest amps I've heard yet (SE-OTL's, McIntosh MC-30's, Wright 2A3's)

Their only drawback was even in bridged mode (had two monoblock amps instead of one stereo amp) they each only put out about 4 watts/channel and at that point in time, I simply had a hard time living with 4 wpc no matter HOW sweet it sounded.

Now that I'm biamping, I'm contemplating on buying them again and letting them do the work for the high end only.

Colter,

Do yourself a favor and call Craig at NOSValves.com for some good advice. 810-287-6135

Here's a Scott 299D that may be worth bidding on and sending to Craig for a rebuild. I used to own a 299D but I F'd up and sold it when I decided to go seperates. In hindsight I should have kept it. It was that good. I am disgusted that I sold it to my neighbor. Now he won't sell it back to me. [:@]

Here's a 299A and a 299C on eBay. Scott integrateds are one helluva an amp for the money. I have owned the 299D and 272.

Hello,

I just got my first tube integrated amp this weekend. It is a Rogue Tempest II with a Cambride Audio 840C CD player. I hooked it up to my Khorns. The sound is simply amazing. I have never heard all the instuments so seperated for a lack of words. It is kind of spoky the guitar is playing to the right drums in the back vocals up front and so on. This set up blows way past my Haalo C2 A51 combo. I will not be going back to Solid State ever for 2 channel again.

rmlowz

I have read good thngs about Rogue. Michigan is a bit poor for 2 channel audio stores to audition items.

You use the right words! [Y]Musical realism and soundstage are why I will never depart from tubes. I was listening to Bob Marley and the Wailers over the weekend, all 3 guitars were easily defined in space. No smearing. The Rastas did some pretty good recording.

Vintage amps sound MUCH better after Craig checks them out and rebuilds them as necessary. I and others know all too well.

What have you got to lose? Jjust pick up your phone and give Craig a buzz at 810-287-6135. I bet he won't steer you wrong.

Alternatively, you could buy these along with a JM preamp and be done for good.

• Moderators

From what OB and many others have said it sounds like a Scott is really good for the price ? Almost everyone who has sold them says they were sorry.

Audio Flynn, was it the " Legend " Cd, it's one of my favorite Bob Marley recording ?

Wasn't it a Scott 299b that Woodog was using with his khorns when we visited way back when? Your room is a bit more lively but the dimensions are pretty much the same so you probably have some idea as to how that would sound. You might consider putting your Thorens in that room too - basically making it your vintage room.

Btw, I don't recall hearing noise with your HK430...but just curious, are you getting radio stations bleeding through? I've got that problem on my 630 and I believe the solution is replacing the filter cap on the power supply. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.