Pending Outlaw Amp purchase

dachuckster

I am seriously considering buying a new Outlaw amp. I was considering an Emotiva, but for brute clean power, I think outlaw is the way to go. Feel free to entertain me with rebutalls! [:D]

Anyway, I have a set of CDT-5800Cs in my ceiling for rear surounds, hooked up to a Denon 3803 AVR. These speakers are rated at 50 WPC, 200 continous. The Outlaw amp I am looking is at either the 7200 rated at 200 WPC x 7, or the 7125 rated at 125 WPC x 7. I currently have the RF7 series for mains, center and surrounds, and I do not plan on changing them. I think a good 125 WPC amp such as the 7125 will drive the RF7s, RS7s and RC7 with more than enough power, but I am a little concerned with the lower sensitivity level of the 5800 and feeding a healthy dose of watts from either amp being a tad too much.

I do realize that I can adjust the frequency cutoff going to the 5800s via the receiver ( I do plan on upgrading teh Denon within a few years for better video switching & more video inputs).

Comments, thoughts, ideas, input from Outlaw amp and RF7 owners.........

Can't help with the Outlaw and RF-7 combo, but I can tell you about the Outlaw and RF-83 combo. I have the Outlaw 7100, rate at 7x100, hooked up to the RF-83 setup. A real step above the Sony that it replaced. Then a few month ago I purchased, used, a Outlaw 750. The 750 is rated at 5x165 and I can tell a big difference between the 7100 and the 750.

Outlaw is a great product, it's my first venture in separates and I'm not going back. Now I'm looking for separates for my 2-channel, madness indeed.

I would get the 7200 and not look back, plus you would not have to upgrade for a long time or until you get bit by the bug...

Good luck,

James

if you have a 7.1 i would say the 7700. it's the most expencive but it has balanced connections if that is important to you. i have read some posts here and the people that have the balanced inputs like them. i also think (may be wrong) when they used the balanced connections they don't get hums.

also by getting the 7700, if you upgrade speakers the amp will be able to push them and you won't have a problem with clipping.

You can never have too much amplifier power...just make sure you don't turn it up beyond the clipping point of the rear speakers and you'll be just fine.

I think Outlaw Audio is going to be my next audio upgrade once I come across some money....which looks like its' gonna be about 10 years, so I'm sure they'll have something even better by then.

The Outlaw and the RF-7's are an excellent match. I drive my RF-7's with an ATI 1504 (150 x 4 into 8 ohms). The Outlaws based the their own badged amps on that design, at least in the beginning. In fact, ATI may still produce Outlaw's amps - I'm sure a forum member can confirm that one way ot the other. Just for the heck of it, several months ago I bridged the four channels into 2 giving me the potential to drive my RF-7s with over 350 watts per channel - not that I'd ever do something that extreme. But, it is so cool to see all four signal lights on the amp illuminate when I crank up the boys.

You can never have too much amplifier power...just make sure you don't turn it up beyond the clipping point of the rear speakers and you'll be just fine.

I

I was running a 5.1 system with RF-7 mains powered with a Yamaha AVR with 130wpc. Other forum members suggested more (or dedicated amp) for the RF-7. I tried out a Rotel 200wpc in the system for my fronts and left the rest on the Yamaha. Pretty nice difference. I think I can safely say: go up to at least 200wpc for the RF-7. I'm sure the Outlaw will be a great addtion.

Roger

Decisions, decisions, decisions....!

I have found a great opportunity to buy a Refurbished NAD T973 for a pretty good price. It is rated at 7x140 continuous (8 ohms), and most people who know NAD know they rate their gear very conservatively. The headroom specs on this amp are fantastic!

Here are the listed specs;

Continuous power out into 8 ohms 7 x 140W (21.5dBW)
Rated distortion (THD 20Hz-20kHz) 0.03%
Clipping power (0.1% THD) 170W (22.1dBW)
IHF dynamic headroom at 8 ohms +1.4dB
IHF dynamic power 8 ohms 230W (24dBW)

4 ohms 390W (26dBW)

2 ohms 450W (26.5dBW)
Damping factor ref. 8O, 50Hz >300
Frequency response 20Hz-20kHz +0, -0.2dB
Input impedance R and C 50K
Input sensitivity (for rated output into 8 ohms) 1.1V
Voltage gain 29.0dB
Signal to noise ratio, A-weighted ref. 1W 95 dB

ref. rated power 125dB

This may be the way to go. Anyone running one of these? And how concerned should I be that I am running all of my AV gear, including my TV (not my sub though) on one 20 amp circuit?

This may be the way to go. Anyone running one of these? And how concerned should I be that I am running all of my AV gear, including my TV (not my sub though) on one 20 amp circuit?

I can't tell you anything about NAD except that I really liked the stuff they were putting out in the 80s.

As far as the circuit, add up all the rated wattages of your equipment, divide by your line voltage, (120V I'm assuming), and see what you have for current. For myself, I'd prefer to see < 75% of what the fuse/circuit breaker says. But a circuit breaker should hold 100% rated current all day every day. But that's not necessarily a good thing, depending on the state of your wiring.

I can't tell you anything about NAD except that I really liked the stuff they were putting out in the 80s.

As far as the circuit, add up all the rated wattages of your equipment, divide by your line voltage, (120V I'm assuming), and see what you have for current. For myself, I'd prefer to see < 75% of what the fuse/circuit breaker says. But a circuit breaker should hold 100% rated current all day every day. But that's not necessarily a good thing, depending on the state of your wiring.

Yes, I am on 120 volts. And I am narrowed down to 3 amps. In order of current preference;

1-Outlaw 7700 (7 x 200 WPC) 1800 watts max

2-NAD T973 (140 x 7 WPC) No wattage spec given

3-Outlaw 7 x 125 (127 x 7 WPC) 1440 watts needed

The 200 watts continous from the 7700 would sure be nice on my RF7s (BTW, why are they so "power hungry" with their sensitivity rating so high?), but the others are considerably less cash. Regarding the Outlaw 7125, I am not sure I would notice that much difference from my Denon 3803 rated power of 110 WPC.

Or is there?

My Sony XBR TV is about 350 watts when running, All of my stereo gear cant be a whle lot (DirecTV HD Tivo, DVD player, Denon AVR 3803 as a pre-pro, Monster Cable power conditioner). The ony thing I can find on the Denon for power consumption is 7.0 amps, but its rated power is 7 x 110. I am using a dedicated 20 amp curcuit.

So, lets go on the high side and use 1800 watts for an Amp, 350 for the TV, 250 watts for my Def Tech sub, thats 2400 watts, not includign the Denon 3803 as a pre-pro, DVD player, PS2 or Wii....

Am I getting too high for a 20 amp circuit? It will sure be tough to add another circuit.... :(

PS I do plan on adding a set of CDT5800s for my rear surrounds when I add the amp.