20 Years Later...and I'm Spinnin Vinyl Again.

pierceb

Been wanting to do it for the past 4 or 5 years and only recently purchased a used Basis 1400. I just took delivery of the Basis today, and although I should have been working, I just had to hook it up and start spinning! Been listening for about 6 hours straight now on my piece of crap office system and I'm still one happy camper. Can't wait to hook it up to the Blueberry and Cornwalls to really make these records sing. I don't remember being this excited about a new audio purchase for a long time, it's like discovering music all over.

-PB

Congrats Pierce! nothing like dropping the rock. I just yesterday started breaking in a new Dynavector cartridge on my table. Only got 5.5 hours on it yesterday. My next set of days off are going to be racking up hours on the cartridge too!!!

A real hoot, isn't it? I didn't get that far before I rediscovered the music I wasn't hearing, but it was still a real thrill. Now I have THREE. One strictly for 78's (even that is better than CD), and one for a secondary system.

And there is still all that CHEAP vinyl out there to be discovered! The thrill of the hunt!!!

Dave

I am right there with you guys.  My old vinyl rig is put away on the east coast and I am out on the west working.

Finally found a nice old Linn (thanks Allan) and started spinning agin.

Brought back about 20 LP's, been buying a few used ones locally and been burnin' up the web ordering some new stuff.

Great fun, just like the old days!!!

I almost forgot how much I loved that vinyl sound, almost.

Yep, I'm pretty stoked about starting a record collection. I bought a few off ebay, but that seems to be a pretty expensive way to go, unless I buy in lots. I need to find a good record store here in Vancouver and do some shopping.

Does anyone here on the forum know where I could find any used Basis reflex clamps? I've been looking for a while and they don't seem to come up on ebay or A'gon. I'd buy a new one, but I hate the thought of spending $300, then seeing them much cheaper elsewhere. I think I heard that they could be had for about half that before.

-PB

Basis clamps do show up periodically, sometimes as part of a used Basis table package, sometimes sold separately. Great item, good luck on finding one. For example [edit], there was a Basis 2001 PLUS a Basis clamp and Basis dust cover on Audiogon, now sold.

Larry

Actually, there has been a growing "get the TT out of the attic" movement for a number of years now. The issue is not just a matter of analog vs. digital, but I believe many are realizing the VAST trove of music unavailable on newer media, a significant portion of which will likely never be otherwise available. Take the 78. I have old blues, country, and jazz discs of names known and unknown that are lost to anyone not able to play them. The same is true for the majority of vinyl.

Those without vinyl either have to make do with min-fi CD, build their own higher resolution digital, or do without both real high fidelity as well as the majority of the existing recorded repertoire.

I tried a diet of CD's for about 8 years and nearly starved to death.

Dave

Harry James. While I am sure they were others, Harry is the only musician I have represented on every medium from 78 to CD in an original recording. He recorded to digital sometime in the early 80's and the result is one of the better CD's I ever heard in spite of its "early" digital nature. I auditioned Klipschorns with it in Singapore, which was the first time I'd hear them in years. He must have been 80 or so, but man, could that cat BLOW! I still have this CD.

Dave

Vinyl rules! We've got several used record stores (that also sell new and used CDs) here in Victoria and I've picked up quite a few rarities, as well as being able to replace many of my older LPs that showed the scars of the 70s. Some of my Hendrix and Stones discs were pretty rough, so I was really happy to find near-mint copies. Most used LPs here run about $5-$10, although I've picked up some good 80s stuff for a buck or two now and then.

A&B Sound here has a new vinyl section, but it's pretty small and the prices run around $25 each.

CDs are really convenient and I play them nearly as often as LPs, but the vinyl sound is great and the demagnetising and disc brushing ceremony is part of the mystique.

I'd be really surprised if Vancouver doesn't have quite a few record shops. You may find that one carries only stuff you're not interested in, while another has stuff you only dreamed of finding. Happy hunting!

Pat, I discovered a few used record stores in Vancouver, and A&B Sound in downtown (flagship store) has a much bigger vinyl selection than their satellite stores. The stores I found are all a bit out of my way, so I'm going to have to plan an special outing! Not sure what I should spend money on first: record collection, upgrades (add some cream to my Blueberry, get an LOMC cart), buy some tube amps, on and on. Probably best I sit back and enjoy for a bit, then decide where I want to go.

Mark, I can totally appreciate what your saying. For some reason, I was always more excited bringing records home than CDs. I just think that the record experience was/is more involving and something to look forward to.

-PB

To of our local record exchanges have a $2.00 day and I can't begin to tell you the sweeties I've picked up on Too-D-Day as I call them[:D]

This last ten years of the vinyl renaissance has really spawned some really fine new tables/designs and it sure is funny how digital is in a quandry while vinyl is still alive and well if not more than well[;)]

At my age you get great excercise tripping and flipping yer vinyl not to mention the glorious sounds that eminate from the grooves[:P]

I hope to get a decent turntable in the near future - maybe used, who knows? Any suggestions from anyone about learning more about TT set up online? Cartridges and tonearms? Basically, I'd like to learn more before buying one. Thanks, y'all.

I have a VPI Scout, Dynavector 20x5 and VPI 16.5 cleaning machine with record research fluid for sale. I will sell all for $1500 plus shipping to forum members. The 16.5 is brand new with box and the film on the clear cover has not been removed. This is a really good deal.

post-10861-13819330036168_thumb.jpg

I hope to get a decent turntable in the near future - maybe used, who knows? Any suggestions from anyone about learning more about TT set up online? Cartridges and tonearms? Basically, I'd like to learn more before buying one. Thanks, y'all.

I frequently recommend this document, which IMO you should print out and study in detail: A Beginner's Guide to Cartridge Setup.

LP systems are really complicated, compared with CD players, etc., because many opinions and vast lore are involved. Each part of the LPP, the 'table, arm and cartridge, is a study in its own right. And, almost everyone who is keen on playing LPs will get a record cleaning machine!

For those reasons, Tigerwood KH has a very tempting setup -- everyone who has the VPI Scout likes it and its tonearm a lot, Dynavector carts are very well-liked as well, and the famous VPI record cleaning machine, I think over $600 new, is true icing on the cake!! Note that synergy is important, so if TWKH really likes the way his offering harmonizes, all the better! You might want to find out, though, whether his Dynavector is a HO or a LO moving coil cart.

I myself am a Basis guy (and GaryMD is, too), so if TWKH's offering falls through, you might to keep your eye out for one on Audiogon. A good used Basis 1400 should go for less than $1K.

The cartridge seems to be a particularly hard nut to crack -- moving magnet (MM) vs. moving coil (MC), coordinating cart output levels with phono stage gain (which can vary from 25 - 33 db to over 60 db), and the kind of sound you want. MM is less expensive, because high-gain phono stages are not required, and because accidently pulling out an MM stylus costs a lot less than the hundreds to thousands (well, $1,500) to replace an MC coils-and-stylus combination!! Nevertheless, those who are intent on getting an especially transparent sound seem to gravitate toward LO (low-output) MC's.

Good luck!

Larry

I have a VPI Scout, Dynavector 20x5 and VPI 16.5 cleaning machine with record research fluid for sale. I will sell all for $1500 plus shipping to forum members. The 16.5 is brand new with box and the film on the clear cover has not been removed. This is a really good deal.

Would you consider the VPI alone?

Larry

Would you consider the VPI alone?

Larry

Package deal. The cleaning fluid is full and was pricy. I cleaned about 6 records. Someone will jump on this. Price it all out separately on Audiogon.