Audio is an illness, just bought a pair of NOS Valves VRDs

Thanks fellas, looking forward to the arrival and firing these sweet amps up.

Question for VRD owners. This is my first tube amplifier that is tube rectified. My previous 4 amps have all has SS rectification. Is investing in good NOS rectifier tubes money well spent. I have some premium KT88s, 6550s and preamp tubes, but the 5ar4s are Sovteks. Will the recifier tube make a significant difference in sound? My experience with preamp rectifier tubes says no but I wouls love to hear opinions.

Thanks!!

I have had VRDs for almost 3 years and learned an important lesson when it comes to buying tubes. I spent a small fortune on tubes.....a mistake.

You do not need the most expensive tubes in the VRDs. The best money spent is on the 12ax7s, but the preamp tubes are even more important.

I use the Sovtek 5ar4 and I didn't have to replace one until about a month ago. I do keep extras available just in case, but the originals lasted almost 3 years. I found the Valve Art KT-88s to be among the best sounding even at their low price.

I can't answer your question directly about NOS rectifiers.....I don't know if they actually sound better....but I have heard that they are more robust at handling the on/off cycles and lasting....specifically Mullard.

I am currently running Telefunken 12ax7s and 12au7s, Sovtek rectifier, and Valve Art output tubes. I haven't experimented with new production 12ax7s like Electro Harmonix or Tung Sol in the VRDs yet...but they work very well in my Jolida CDP.

You bought some fine amps.

• Moderators

Keith,

Congratulations, I am anxious to hear your thoughts once you get them set up. There are a few threads on tubes, I think if you search for "VRD" and "Running" you will come up with a lot of responses.

A very good reccomendation I got early on was to run them with the stock tubes for awhile before you to any rolling. I think you will find what Mark101 has stated, it is very difficult to get any noticiable improvement over the stock tubes.

Travis

I have expensive Mullards in mine but only because a friend gave them to me. No difference that I can hear. They do last longer, especially if you accidentally turn them off and on without waiting an appropriate period of time.

Another vote for the inexpensive output tubes. No point in buying expensive KT88s. The ValveArts sound fantastic. I have bugle boy 12ax7s and 12au7s but the difference is very insignificant. Spend your tube money in your preamp, especially the phono stage.

Thanks for the feedback. I found it very interesting actually. I have some Teles for the 12ax7 and 12au7 which I will be using. With the KT88 amps that I have used in the past, the output tubes were absolutely key to the sound I was after. The difference between the stock tubes and both Gold Lion reissues and Penta tubes was nothing short of drastic. I'll start out with the stock tubes to see if I like what I'm hearing. It sounds like I will by the recommendations I've heard. If I can save some tube money, that would be very cool!! I'll use the money to buy some new music instead.

I have a chance to get some Mullard 5ar4s, but I think I'll pass.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again guys.

Spongeworthy, it may sound strange, but I've found that great output tubes will significantly improve the sound with average iron, but they have only a marginal improvement with superior iron. I've heard the GECs in Scott, Heathkit, Dynaco, HK, Mac, Marantz, and VRDs, and the smallest jump was with the VRDs and Marantz. It may be due to a uniform excellance across the board on the amp design, with the less capable amps benefitting more from the incremental improvement than the thouroghbreds.