SET, yes. 2A3 Moondogs, absolutely!

jazman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they were the MQ. there was another brand used on the 'dogs, but I'm too brain dead at work to recall the name.

Tom, if they are MQ I will take them for sure, even if the are something I may still want them but let me know the brand when you can.

rigma

Is there a MDeneen SET design in the future?

-------------

Unlikely - even though I like the sound. My goal is capturing the advantages of SET while eliminating the disadvantages. That's essentially the goal of pCAT. There are just so many guys covering the SET realm there isn't a lot of room in there for more guys like me. I like where we are - the 'CATs are in a unique space. Way more power than 2A3 or 300B, and yet they produce that really tight cohesive luscious sound that is present in SET amps. Although I consider the high efficiency range (like Klipsch, Altec, Oris, Lowther) my main target, guys with 90dB monitor-style speaks can easily take advantage of pCAT where a SET might poop out. But of course, I would never say "never."

Comprende

I once heard my SET amps on Corwalls in a big room and I didn't like it at all compared to my Belles in a much smaller room.

I didn't realize how big the Pcats were until I saw them wow and I like the look you ended up with very nice.. What brand transformers do you use?

Welborne Labs used MQ, then switched to Electra-Print. Both make very good transformers, and I've heard Moondogs with MQ OPTs and also with the Electra-prints that are on my own pair. The Moth Audio direct-coupled 2A3 (single-ended) I built a couple of years ago also uses very large OPTs from Electra-Print.

Erik

The NorCal gathering this weekend was a great opportunity to hear a number of different power sources for wonderfully efficient Klipsch speakers. It reinforces my belief each individual set his/her own set of guidellines for what sonic characteristics appeals to them. More importanly, it was agreat opportunity to debunk many of the SET bashing statements often posted in this forum by those with only limited exposure to SET amps, and think all SET amps are the same. They are not! Moondogs plus the Ultimate upgrade package, do not take a back seat to VRDs, but maybe it's because I listen to mostly Jazz. Sorry Craig!

Klipsch out!

Edmond,

I think you and I have similar tastes in audio. I still have my Moondogs with Ultimate upgrade package. I also use the RCA blackplates with them as well as the fabled RCA black single plate tubes.

With that said I listen to my Welborne DRD45s about 90% of the time. If you ever get a chance to live with a 45 amp in your system, try it, I think you'll like it. I have been a 45 devotee for over 3 years now. I recently received the Welborne Star Chief kit that I'm currently building. It's supposed to be an upgrade over the DRD45.

Kevin,

I thought I had mentioned I've wanted to add a 45 SET amp for a long time now, maybe 3 yrs or so. Somehow, I always find it hard to justify cost wise, (though I did plunk down for the pair of 2A3 Horus that I may put on the market in the near future), and partly because of dollars spent upgrading my vinyl front end components. With my son in college now, I seldom spend on myself. Maybe, with a downsize of my house, I may get to squeeze it in. If I do, it will be the tube rectified version. BTW, my Moondogs also put the "SET amps have no bass", or 3.5 watts can't control the bass" BS to rest, and at least to me, was tighter and more toneful with accoustic bass notes than the VRDs and even big SS. I am hoping to get another opportunity to listen to VRD amps for a longer session, with different music selections, and get a better handle on that, though I don't think it will change. I suspected most of the Saturday attendees were very surprised when they heard the Moondogs, and I think it's an experience that will stick for a while.

Klipsch out.

the new Wright Sound 3.5s are using the Sowter OPT, still happy with MQ iron myself, no slight taken with the swap.

Edmond, which 6SN7s are you using now? the good ones are harder to find.

the Frown Digest magazine posted a correction to the 20-watt minimum requirement a while back . .

as for Moondogs though, hearing is believing.

Eric,

I have not heard TS OTL. One reason I have shied away is the lack of transformers which, to "ME", are very key to low powered amp performance. Maybe one day I'll find one to listen to.

That said, a 45 SET amp was the best low powered amp I've heard.

Klipsch out.

the new Wright Sound 3.5s are using the Sowter OPT, still happy with MQ iron myself, no slight taken with the swap.

Edmond, which 6SN7s are you using now? the good ones are harder to find.

the Frown Digest magazine posted a correction to the 20-watt minimum requirement a while back . .

as for Moondogs though, hearing is believing.

Coda,

Haven't you added a few upgrades to your Wrights? I thought I recall Kelly saying something to that effect once upon a time, and yours as being the only pair of Wrights that he felt could hang with his Moondogs. What improvements did you make?

On the 6SN7 issue, I currently have in each of my monoblocks, one Mullard ECC32, and one AVW 6SN7. I also really like the Brimar CV1988 (miiltary version), or Brimar 6SN7GT clear glass (oval plate) which is the non miltary version of the CV1988. The Brimars I use in pairs, or one Brimar mated with one Mullard ECC33 in each monoblock. I also have 2 pair of Amperex 6SN7 (brown base) that I do not use anymore because you can't find them. The person I bought my Moondogs from threw them in the deal.

The remaining tubes I have installed now are RCA VT95 2A3 blackplates, and metal base GZ34s (double D getters) for rectifiers.

Klipsch out.

Great to see SET finally getting a little recognition. I realize my Bottlehead gear may seem so much entry-level, or low-end to most who post regularly here. But those same folks also spend three, four or more times what I have invested. My stuff is definitely high quality, and I am getting a taste of that world-class sound. As the budget allows I will be taking steps up. For now I am limited by not only my budget, but my small listening room more than anything else. It just so happens that this setup is working perfectly for me now.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I completed my DIY amps about a year ago and since then I have attended four listening sessions at other folks homes. I got to listen to lots of great gear; one session was at WardsWebs place in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />San Antonio. I always leave those sessions with a smile on my face from the experience. But after I have been back home for a short, I am still smiling, cause my system sounds pretty darn good, too! I know I am in at least in the pack of world-class systems.

Even on my 96dB 1983 Heresys, 3.5 Watts rocks my room quite nicely, thank you. And it sure rocked the house at mom-in-laws Big 60 party recently.

Rick

453357057_9b12fe40bb_b.jpg

Rick,

That gear is something to be proud of and you certainly don't need to apologize for any of it. Must have been a blast at the party.

If I had to buy what I have as new equipment, I would still be listening to a crystal radio. I got most of my stuff over a long period of time.

Bruce