Members Weekly Music Recommendations-April 9

thebes

I'm broke harried and harassed. Dogs lift their legs when I walk by, women scream and children throw things. I've got halitosis, myrosis and I think I'm coming down with a good case of the Funky Chicken. The rest of humanity has filed a class action suite to have me removed from the gene pool. My own mother *****-slapped me the other day.

Do I care?

HELL NO!!!!.

I may not have rhythm but I sure do got plenty of music and I'm willing to share.

Dr. John, "In The Right Place", cd, blues

I defy you to listen to the title song without breaking into some sort of funky move. Standing still while this guy's busting some major New Orleans move is like asking Pearl Bailey to stop saying "Howdeeeeeeeeee!".Hell, Van Morrison has spent half his life trying to sound so good. Talk about Dr. Envy. The backup chorus chicks sound (and probably look) so hot just the sight of one would have you hoppin around like grease on a griddle.

So pull out your walkin cane, throw on your black cape and take a stroll down Bourbon Street and pick this up.

So what do you have to share this week?

• Moderators

Well I'll be !

TheBes is listening to the DR ! I am Impressed [Y]

Since you are feeling kind of funky, try Dr John " N'awlinz Dis Dat or D'udda " from 2004.

It's a good CD with a real New Orleans kind of sound, and some really funky beats. I had put it on the weekly music recommendations once before , but really didn't expect anyone to try it.

But here you are listening to the Dr, not the same CD but still Dr John, he has a very original voice and a style all his own !

Crap, I forgot to bring in my Jazz sampler information.....my bad, so it will now be Friday since I have tickets to the Orioles game tomorrow night (weather permitting) and Thursday is a heavy workload day.

Over the 3- day Easter Holiday, I got into one of my R&R jam moods, so I pulled out the 1975 copy of Styx, "Equinox". Wanted something that didn't have the TOP 40 sound, and this recording has the makings of what I call first generation Styx. Great guitars, synsethizers, and vocal harmony. Heck, even the engineering was pretty decent (sound stage movements).

IMHO, best songs were (in no particular order):

Lorelei

Suite Madame Blue

Midnight Ride

Lonely Child

"I defy you to listen to the title song without breaking into some sort of funky move. Standing still while this guy's busting some major New Orleans move is like asking Pearl Bailey to stop saying "Howdeeeeeeeeee!"

Uh, I think you mean Minnie Pearl, not Pearl Bailey.[;)]

Of course, we can forgive one rare foible among the many pearls of wisdom you provide us.

Huh, Thebes and dtel feelin' kinda' Dr. John.............Not a Doctor John Album, but the Doctor is in the House........................

Just Releashed a couple of month's ago, some more old, new product, that's another thread, this is also a New Year's Eve Show....................

LEVON HELM and the R.C.O. ALL STARS...........LIVE at the Palladium, New York City........New Year's Eve 1977...........CD..........2006....

Well, here we go, another done on New Year's Eve Concert, like the Band's Rock of Ages, Band of Gypsys, and others. Seems like magical things happen during those type shows, and this disc is no exception. Rescued from a fire, these tapes are now surfacing, and I guess, is the first in a series of recordings of saved tapes. First off, let's look at the R.C.O. All Stars.........Paul Butterfield-harmonica, vocals.......Fred Carter Jr.-guitar.....Donald "Duck" Dunn-Bass......Steve Cropper-Guitar.( half of the MG's)......Mac Rebennack (Dr. John)-Keyboards,Vocals.......Bones Malone-trombone..Alan Rubin-trumpet..Lou Marini-saxophone..Howard Johnson-tuba........And Last but not Least....LEVON HELM- Drums, and Vocals......That's a pretty fine line-up of talent on that stage......Hell Yeah........I am a HUGE Levon Helm Fan, one of the Best Voices in Rock, and a Damn Good Drummer to boot, what's not to like...........Whatta' Band............

1. Ain't That A Lotta Love

2. Washer Woman

3. A Mood I was In

4. Milk Cow Boogie

5. Ties that Bind

6. Goin' Back To Memphis

7. Blues So Bad

8. Born In Chicago

9. Rain Down Tears

10. Got My Mojo Working

11. Sing,Sing,Sing

12. Ophelia

13. Good Night Irene

There you have the song list, many good songs, many great performances. One will never listen to Good Night Irene the same way again. Me, I think this is a great album, just look at the line-up, how could it not be good? As much as I like the older Loud, dual Lead Guitar driven, the Bass thumping, drum pounding style Rock attack, the more I hear this style of music, the more I like it. I hope this doesn't mean I'm becoming more Mature, and I'm going to start acting my age a little more in the future, and take on a nicier, more friendly attitude......................NO, it just means, I like this Music. Give this disc a shot, good listening..........and, I hope you enjoy it.

Do tell Dtel Thanks for the kind words and I have been a fan of the good Doctor for years. Can't find it right know so I can't give you the name but I recently picked up an acoustic set he did just him and the paino. Not as raucous as his usual stuff but very enjoyable.

Thanks for the clarification Richard. Yes it is Minnie but I was confusing her name in my head name with Minnie Driver and she's definetly too hot to say "Howdeeeee!".

Kendel Carson~Rear View Mirror Tears

Train Wreck records
   Thie is the first solo album from a 22 year old gal, that has been playing violin since the age of three!!  She was classicaly trained but she grew up to play more country...twang.  The album starts off a little slow but boy does it finish well.  Chip Taylor has taken her under his wing and has been the influence that she wants.  She also plays in two other smaller bands.  The Paper boys and Outlaw Social.  If you go to U-Tube and type in her name, there is a very good version of The Cookoo that she plays fiddle in.

I absolutely hate what has happened to modern country music or I should call it country-pop-crap.

s15589.jpg 

If you like Hank Sr the absolute best collection and remastered collection is the 40 greatest hits collection. The quality is the best I have found. It is hard to believe his career only lasted 6 years. He was in constant pain from a back injury which led him to drink and take lots of pills. This caused allot of chaos in his life and he even got kicked off the grand ole opry. His song writing was like a song book to his life and it was not all good.

He had the songs and the moves......Genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nitxeevJmjI

hank.jpg

Hank Williams III looks and sounds allot like his grandfather and perhaps some attitude as he got kicked off of CMT for telling them what he was going to do to country music. I can't type it here. If you get the chance to see him do. He generally does an old school Hank Sr style set and a country punk set. Very Interesting. http://www.hank3.com/

hank.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...