Quitting Smoking

woodsman

Agreed, but cutting out cigs, coffee, and Coke products at the same time are enough of a drain, so I am allowing myself this small indulgence. Actually, I haven't craved them as badly as I thought, but at 3/4 pack/day for 34 years, it is still a MISSION.

The way I figure it, is I didn't come into this world with a butt sticking out of my mouth, so it was a self-inflicted habit that only I can reverse. I did it once 26 years ago for 8 months, so I know what it takes mentally and physically. Everybody has different methods, but I DO NOT believe in pharmaceuticals as a cure.

It ain't easy though

Good luck everyone. I wish there was a way to help people out with the physical stuff involved with quitting. But unfortunately, it's something you've gotta do on your own. Hang in there guys, you

CAN do it. Don't hesistate to turn to drugs either. The first time I quit, I used the patch, and it worked great![Y]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hang in there people.............YOU WILL WIN............Hey, Travis....Did you quit? If so, how you doin' ?......You are stronger than the urge.......

I am done with my trial, and getting things back in order. I started taking the Chantix yesterday. I got the RX for it about 3 weeks ago at Gary's suggestion but decided to wait until after the trial to really give this thing a go.

So next Friday at midnight is my last Cig.

Travis

I heard an interesting piece of information the other day.  I'm not certain it is accurate considering the source and I have not checked it out.  The amount of money tobacco firms collectively spend on advertising????? .......$35,000,000.00......   per DAY.  Can anyone confirm or refute this?

• Moderators

I heard an interesting piece of information the other day. I'm not certain it is accurate considering the source and I have not checked it out. The amount of money tobacco firms collectively spend on advertising????? .......$35,000,000.00...... per DAY. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

I got this off the net, and it may be a bit dated:

Tobacco Advertisment Skyrockets

Since 1997 the amount of money spent on tobacco advertisements have doubled, after an increase of 17 percent from last year. Companies are spending 11.2 billion dollars a year, or 30 million dollars a day advertising cigarettes and tobacco products. There are five main markets where the money is being spent:retail value promotion, promotion allowances/payments, coupons, item distribution and finally public entertainment. 110.6 million dollars were spent on sporting events in 2001 alone. Smokeless tobacco companies have spent over 236.7 million dollars on advertisement and promotions alone.

So it looks like that number is accurate. However, I would think it would really depend on what you count as "advertising." The number is off the chart when you consider that they cannot advertise on TV which burns up big bucks. So does it include sponser fees for auto racing, Virginia Slims Tennis, etc., etc.

Think what beer companies spend, must be double or triple that. I will have to check my stats, but I think alcohol related deaths make smoking related deaths look pale by comparison.

Travis

Don't be fooled, they advertise in movies all the time................They smoke in movies all the time..........Funny, they put Dr. Jack in jail for assisting with dying............the Tobacco companies do the same thing.......Doesn't matter if they Outlawed cigarettes here, China, Japan, Europe will buy all they make.............Cigarettes are Legal Suicide...Period..!!!!!!!!

I heard an interesting piece of information the other day.  I'm not certain it is accurate considering the source and I have not checked it out.  The amount of money tobacco firms collectively spend on advertising????? .......$35,000,000.00......   per DAY.  Can anyone confirm or refute this?

I got this off the net, and it may be a bit dated:

Tobacco Advertisment Skyrockets

Since 1997 the amount of money spent on tobacco advertisements have doubled, after an increase of 17 percent from last year. Companies are spending 11.2 billion dollars a year, or 30 million dollars a day advertising cigarettes and tobacco products. There are five main markets where the money is being spent:retail value promotion, promotion allowances/payments, coupons, item distribution and finally public entertainment. 110.6 million dollars were spent on sporting events in 2001 alone. Smokeless tobacco companies have spent over 236.7 million dollars on advertisement and promotions alone.

So it looks like that number is accurate.  However, I would think it would really depend on what you count as "advertising."  The number is off the chart when you consider that they cannot advertise on TV which burns up big bucks.  So does it include sponser fees for auto racing, Virginia Slims Tennis, etc., etc. 

Think what beer companies spend, must be double or triple that.  I will have to check my stats, but I think alcohol related deaths make smoking related deaths look pale by comparison. 

Travis

One has to wonder if that level of expenditure is just for our country or is it worldwide?   Tobacco related deaths run around 450,000 annually.  I believe all alcohol related deaths run about 25% of that figure.  Demographically alcohol kills more teens than anything else (as I recall).  Costs associated with both are horrendous.  A fairly sobering set of numbers when one considers they are voluntary vices.

• Moderators

I started taking the Chantix last Friday, and my last Cig/Cigar was last night at 11:30 p.m. I am really early into this obviously, but the cravings urges are pretty strong, but not as strong when I have tried to quit in the past. I had a Cohiba Esplindido last light and it tasted oh so good. I must have about $1000 worth of cuban cigars in the humidor that I am depressed I won't be able to smoke. Well just typing this got me through another bout of cravings, so I will report back later.

Travis

• Moderators

Day 2: Thanks for the encouragement OB, I sure can use it that is for sure. I still have not smoked, but my hats off to Gary, and all the rest who have quit, especially in the last month or so. I think about it constantly and it is nice to be able to type to keep my mind off of it. The Chantix is helping but it is still very challenging.

Travis

Hang in there Travis. Just try to keep busy and
occupied. It gets easier every day. If you can find time to
do some walking or some type of exercise, I think it will help
you to"feel" the improvements to your overall health and well
being. Just don't go at it too hard if you haven't been
exercising. Start slow and slowly add a little at a time.
Soon, you will start to look forward to it. Best of luck
to you. You CAN do it.

Garth

• Moderators

Hang in there Travis. Just try to keep busy and occupied. It gets easier every day. If you can find time to do some walking or some type of exercise, I think it will help you to"feel" the improvements to your overall health and well being. Just don't go at it too hard if you haven't been exercising. Start slow and slowly add a little at a time. Soon, you will start to look forward to it. Best of luck to you. You CAN do it.

Garth

Garth,

That is an excellent idea and one I hope to accomplish as well.

Travis

• Moderators

Day 5, 2 a.m., now I know what Gary meant about not being able to sleep. Wow. Not even a puff. I used to always light up when I got in the car, now it almost feels like driving without a seatbelt (which I never do) not having a cig. in one hand, cell phone in the other, steering wheel falls in between somewhere. Easy to see that lighting up in the car was more of a habit then cravings.

Travis