Quitting Smoking

woodsman

Thought I would bring this thread back to the forefront. Congrats to those of you who quit and here's to hoping that bringing this thread back encourages any who couldnt quite get over the hump to give it another go. Christmas is coming and soon after that is new years. If you need a date to shoot for new years wouldnt be a bad one. But the best day would be today.

Josh

It took two tries but I've been smoke free since August 6th. Chantix really works. Over 40% success rate from what I've read. If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck folks and congrats to those who made it!!

GOOD JOB ................. Almost there, don't give in to the craving, it's always there ............ ignore it ...... [Y]

• Moderators

Chantix really works. Over 40% success rate from what I've read.

When Gary said that he had obtained the Chantix prescription I looked at their website and saw that the success rate was way above using gum/patches etc. I called my Dr. and asked for a RX which they called in. My insurance did not cover it, and it is expensive, I think about $150 for the initial 4 week package, but Gary was reporting some good results so I went ahead and got it. As Gary reported at the beginning of this thread, you take it for a week and then quit at the end of one week. My last cig was 6/22 and I have not had a single puff. The cravings are greatly diminished with the Chantix, I cannot reccomend it enough.

Gary and I talked about quitting a year ago and agreed we both needed to do it, and would figure out when. Then someone started this thread, (I have to go back to look and then thank them) and then I saw Gary and his wife were getting the Chantix, and then others like Amy, OB, etc., shared their experiences doing it and that good enough motivation for me. Of course Oscar's vivid accounts of what cigs do was also good motivation (I'm afraid to go back and read them).

Thanks to all, if it were not for the original post I would not have joined the bandwagon and quit, I am sure of that. It is much easier to do when you know you are in it with others, and that it can be done. For those that did it without Chantix, my hats off to you, I could not have done it without it.

Travis

Travis

Congrats to Amy, Gary, Travis and any others who have
quit. I have been smoke free for over a year now as well.
My wife just quit about three weeks ago with the amazing help of
Champix. Hope she can pull this off. Really, after one year
I can say that any cravings are gone. The only thing left is to ignore
the little demon in our minds that occasionally pops in to say, "you
should try just one puff"...NEVER EVER EVER give in. If we follow
this one rule, we are home free....

Garth

Smoked my last cigarette on July 2'nd. I took chantix for 30 days and haven't looked back since. It did not stop the cravings, and I'm really not that sure how much the stuff helps, but who's to argue....... I'm not smoking now and thats what counts. Whatever it takes to quit is all that matters. man does the world smell so much better......... and the food taste better too................ If I can stop.... anybody can. I smoked for 33 years and was doing 2 packs a day.

Dave

I'm starting Chantix tomorrow, and have had (1) today. HOPEFULLY by next week, NO MORE.

Mark,

As long as you really WANT to quit, you can. Good luck. I know you can do it!!

Way to go Dave! Chantix or not, quite an achievement going from 2 packs/day to zero. That's great!!

Way to go Dave[Y]

On a related topic.....today I was at the stop light in front of the university and looked at the shoulder of the road and there was exactly one zillion seven hundred and twelve cigarette butts that had been flicked out of passing cars. Whats up with that? Same thing at what used to be a pristine beach strand here with people leaving there butts[+o(]

Okay....got that off my chest.

• Moderators

I'm starting Chantix tomorrow, and have had (1) today. HOPEFULLY by next week, NO MORE.

Klipsched,

Do you have an update? How are you doing. Hang in there, it's hard but you can do it. If you have had slip here and there keep going, keep taking the Chantix and it will work.

I hope to hear you have been doing well.

Travis

Hello to all,

First I WAS a smoker since I was 15, am now 40 as of Sept. Smoking 1 to 1.5 packs a day. Lucky Strike

2 weeks ago I read this thread and said what the H.E. double toothpicks try it again. Let it be said I did try for about 3 years ago when my father inlaw died of cancer. He was a pipe smoker and went from an active man to one who could barely breath after they removed his adams apple and 1/4 of the tissue underneath his tounge. It ONLY took 1 year and he was gone. A sad and painfull experience. However the addiction was stronger than the will.

As of 26th November I have not touched 1 Ciggie. Smoked the last in the pack and just did not look back, and actually I can´t say why it was so easy. It could have been the great info from oscarsear [Y][Y]and the fear that I could be at the beginning of emphysema. No cravings and it dosent even bother me when someone else smokes. My wife still smokes but not nearly as much as before and is starting to curb down.

Let me add that I enjoyed smoking and started every day with at least 3 coffie and 5 ciggies, without this I just couldent wake up.

Thanks fellow Klipschers for the motivation!!!! Oh and the best time to stop is NOW, including stress, weekends, going out with the buddies/buddetes and all of the other excuses. I think I am allowed to say this because I was on the same bandwagon!!! Blame everything else but yourself and you will never get rid of this addiction.

To everyone quitting now, hang in there! It is a lot better to spend the extra money and time say investing in a new piece of equipment, or taking a loved one to dinner than investing in a oxygen trolley just so you can breathe while walking from the kitchen to living room.

Ran

Hello to all,

First I WAS a smoker since I was 15, am now 40 as of Sept. Smoking 1 to 1.5 packs a day. Lucky Strike

2 weeks ago I read this thread and said what the H.E. double toothpicks try it again. Let it be said I did try for about 3 years ago when my father inlaw died of cancer. He was a pipe smoker and went from an active man to one who could barely breath after they removed his adams apple and 1/4 of the tissue underneath his tounge. It ONLY took 1 year and he was gone. A sad and painfull experience. However the addiction was stronger than the will.

As of 26th November I have not touched 1 Ciggie. Smoked the last in the pack and just did not look back, and actually I can´t say why it was so easy. It could have been the great info from oscarsear YesYesand the fear that I could be at the beginning of emphysema. No cravings and it dosent even bother me when someone else smokes. My wife still smokes but not nearly as much as before and is starting to curb down.

Let me add that I enjoyed smoking and started every day with at least 3 coffie and 5 ciggies, without this I just couldent wake up.

Thanks fellow Klipschers for the motivation!!!!  Oh and the best time to stop is NOW, including stress, weekends, going out with the buddies/buddetes and all of the other excuses. I think I am allowed to say this because I was on the same bandwagon!!! Blame everything else but yourself and you will never get rid of this addiction.

To everyone quitting now, hang in there! It is a lot better to spend the extra money and time say investing in a new piece of equipment, or taking a loved one to dinner than investing in a oxygen trolley just so you can breathe while walking from the kitchen to living room.

Ran

Sorry to hear about the travails of your father in-law. Few outside of direct medical care are aware of the dismal ends many tobacco users come to. Again pipe smoking is not much different than cigar smoking. The smoke is usually not inhaled but it is also unfiltered developing a toxic saliva brew in the mouth. Pipe smokers suffer a particular cancer risk of the tongue. As you know 1st hand it is not pretty.

The addiction fuels denial and therein lies the problem. People refuse to think it will be they who get the disease until they have it. Then it is often too late. I'd encourage anyone interested to review my posts on this thread. I'm glad I was able to help trigger your intent to quit and I expect that you will indeed do so.