Quitting Smoking

woodsman

Third day now and I am so tired of this already. I am continually have multiple simultaneous conversations debating smoking, not smoking, rationalizing this action or that action... it is nonstop irritation. Parts of my body are independently thinking on their own - hand automatically cracks window in the car when I drive, other hand keeps attempting to reach into my pocket to grab a cigarette. I think I have developed more voices than Henry at this point.

Last night things got so bad, I bought a pack and left them unopened in the car. I drove around this morning with a leftover cig (from the pack I had when I quit) in my mouth. Comfort and conflict. It is nothing but trial and tribulation and voices. Argh. I need drugs.

Why am I quitting? Make the voices stop.

Anarchist; The voices are little Devils trying to make you give in to the urge............DON'T DO IT...........You are stronger than those little buggers..........Why are you quitting............To feel better, live longer, and maybe, you really want to !!!!!! Don't give in, stand your ground..The voices never stop, I quit 13 years ago, and I still get urges, but I know I will never smoke cigarettes again.

Thanks guys - well most of you anyway.... [:o]

I haven't lit one up yet. Longest period of time I have ever gone without smoking since I became a smoker.

Chewing a lot of gum and I don't even like gum.

Drinking coffee and I don't like coffee.

I am enjoying waking up without congestion, the absence of stale smoke and not giving additional money to the government.

More importantly, I am enjoying not having something controlling me. It ain't powerless but I can choose whether to light that cig or not. I still have that unopened pack of cigarettes in the car and my one cigarette I hold frequently. Still cracks me up that I keep reaching over to crack the window in my car to let the smoke out. One of the voices keeps asking "Are you retarded?" while the other one which is more demanding keeps saying "Close the damn window moron."

Three more days and I will be placing an order for my Tung Sols.

Now I need to go pace to burn off some nervous energy. [Y]

Anarchist....    Soon enough you'll be able to calmly say that tobacco is gone from your life.  Gone from controlling what you think.  Gone from masking your senses.  No more eroding away your health.  Power through and keep your mind on the prize.  Read your post and be mad that an inanimate object has this level of power over you.  That these companies sell this bilge to keep taking your money.  How's this for a motto: "Break on through to the other side!"

Anarchist.... Soon enough you'll be able to calmly say that tobacco is gone from your life. Gone from controlling what you think. Gone from masking your senses. No more eroding away your health. Power through and keep your mind on the prize. Read your post and be mad that an inanimate object has this level of power over you. That these companies sell this bilge to keep taking your money. How's this for a motto: "Break on through to the other side!"

ALL the above, and remember, the Government subsidizes the Tobacco Industry...... Time for that to stop......You'll be fine, Stay Strong......

Well,

Clean since midnight Saturday. I've kicked the cat, cussed the parson, took my ex on a date, broke a tooth grinding my teeth, and scrubbing down the stinky everything I've been around. Bunch of meddling &^%&$ so and so's. See what you started. You can go "suck up and bust"

This ain't easy boys and girls. Last time I quit was for 3 years. Then the old ball and chain left me, I started running the bars and WHAM, lit back up. I don't drink anymore. Maybe this time. Maybe. I've been smoking since I was 7 years old. I grew up on a farm. Tobacco was one of our main crops until we were paid just as much not to grow the stuff.

I want to break something. My legs are shaking, I can't focus, and I'm not fit for any social contact, I've gnawed off my nails and I'm not a nail biter. Cold turkey. I need a drink, I want a smoke,................I'm gonna scream. AAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fudge!!

Harry

Hang in there Harry.

Its nice to know someone else in the world is going through the same thing and there are others who can relate because they have gone through the same thing.

I think my pivotal moment was on day 2. I was so close to saying screw this and smoking a cigarette. I still say I want a cigarette a few dozen times a day but the compulsion doesn't last as long now. Besides, I keep my one cig with me and hang it from my mouth or hand when I start really stressing.

It is getting easier. It ain't easy however.

Harry - What about drugs like valium, t-3, otc sleeping pills, benedryl, etc to take the edge off?

Let me check the statute of limitations before I answer........tick tock tick tock....

Ok, Back.

1: I've got a kid to raise. Just me and no one else to do it.

2: I've tried numerous "remedies". What works best for me is cold turkey. I have found pleasure in many substances and I'm not going to swap habits at this point in my life. As a child of the 60's I learned a lot of escapes. I quit that stuff in '77. Not that I had to or wanted to, I guess I'm just so cheap. It seemed like the "Better living through chemistry" was more expensive every day and the quality went down. It just wasn't cost effective anymore. Just teasing and being a smart A$$. No, It's just cold turkey for me. Kind of a kick in the pants reminder of what a bunch of money hungry Murderers will do to you for a buck. I'm stupid and an addict to tobacco. Hang the tobacco execs and supporting politicians.

I thought I could save money by quitting. I'm spending so much money on cleaning supplies it would have been cheaper to smoke. My Gosh it reaks of smoke in here. Makes me sick. I need a smoke. But won't do it!

Cough! Cough!

Harry

Harry - What about drugs like valium, t-3, otc sleeping pills, benedryl, etc to take the edge off? 

Let me check the statute of limitations before I answer........tick tock tick tock....

Ok, Back.

1: I've got a kid to raise. Just me and no one else to do it.

2: I've tried numerous "remedies". What works best for me is cold turkey. I have found pleasure in many substances and I'm not going to swap habits at this point in my life. As a child of the 60's I learned a lot of escapes. I quit that stuff in '77. Not that I had to or wanted to, I guess I'm just so cheap. It seemed like the "Better living through chemistry" was more expensive every day and the quality went down. It just wasn't cost effective anymore. Just teasing and being a smart A$$. No, It's just cold turkey for me. Kind of a kick in the pants reminder of what a bunch of money hungry Murderers will do to you for a buck. I'm stupid and an addict to tobacco. Hang the tobacco execs and supporting politicians.

I thought I could save money by quitting. I'm spending so much money on cleaning supplies it would have been cheaper to smoke. My Gosh it reaks of smoke in here. Makes me sick. I need a smoke. But won't do it!

Cough! Cough!

Harry

Yeah, but once it is clean and you don't re-stink up the place you'll have a swell smelling abode and will be saving $$$ too.  Think about this also.  If the walls and things are that dirty from your second hand smoke what have you exposed your youngster to?  Don't give in.