Quitting Smoking

woodsman

Way to go Tommyboy......keep it going.

Willy...hope that angry face is just frustration and not a slip up.

Both of you hang in there.

Last night it was just an angry face expressing my irritability .

I have now fallen off the wagon .

2 whole days , whoooopeeeeee .

Well, its Friday, and still no smokes for me. I'm not going to be doing any drinking this weekend. Don't wanna trigger any cravings for a cig. Probably won't do anything that would make me want to smoke. (poker, drinking, etc.) it's getting easier and easier now! Hey Sunburn. If at first you don't succeed, try again!

Hey Sunburn. The Air Force gives Zyban out to quit smoking. You have to attend a class to get it though. Anyway, I know a few guys in my squadron that have quit with that little pill. I tried it a few years back, but it made me feel "funny". Turns out that it's an anti-depressent and makes some people fell a little, well..... high. So it didn't work for me. But won't hurt to try it, right?? Good luck either way buddy!

I'm on day one of Chantix. Still smoking for the first 7 days and I have one hell of a buzz. I can't imagine what it'll be like when the dose quadruples!

I hope this stuff works.

Gary,

It worked for me (30 year+ smoker, first time quitter), and LOTS of others according to my doctor. No cigarettes for over 7 months now.

It's expensive,but so are cigarettes and the damage they cause.

Give it a chance and keep us posted.

Bob

Oscarsear, I want to thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us. It's some of the most informative and interesting info about smoking that I have ever read.

Thanks.  Lots more where that came from.  I've been holding back trying not to overwhelm the topic.

I was smoking about a pack a day. Surprisingly, no coughing this time around. Last time I quit, I did cough quite a bit. for the first 5 days, I took sleeping pills. So, no sleeping problems really. I strongly recommend the sleeping pill trick. It really helps out!

Anarchist - Excellent!

Amy - please explain... what was your method, etc. Helpful hints/tips?

I HIGHLY recommend this forum to anyone planning to quit or just starting http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/ Extremely supportive. Many people who've quit continue to post there to help others. If you are going through withdrawl or having a bad day - one can post there and within 2 minutes, you'll have 20 posts from people trying to help you through it.

• Moderators

Amy - please explain... what was your method, etc. Helpful hints/tips?

I just didn't buy them anymore [:)]

I'd been smoking since I was 17 years old...tried a few times to quit, half-heartedly with no real motivation behind it. As soon as my 2 year old son started watching me intently and focusing on what I was doing, I quit. I didn't have any cravings or any "assistance." My own health was never a consideration, although you'd think it would be with the obvious risks. I simply want to be a good example for my son, and I'd like to be around as long as I can for him.

The secret is finding a motivation that works for you. Everyone is different. If this thread motivates someone, then that's completely awesome and worth every last moderating headache I've ever had [;)]

I dont' really feel any different now than before to be honest

How old are you? How long have you been smoking? That could have a bearing on how you feel.

You may not feel better or different today after a week of not smoking, but you certainly will down the road. Just imagine how you'd feel if you continued to smoke or quit today 30 years from now.

Congratulations! I wish you continued success in leading a tobacco free lifestyle.

It will take less than a day for the nicotine to leave your systems.  That's why nicotine addiction is so terrible because it exits so quickly it requires routine replacement.  It will take a week or so to diminish the blood carbon monoxide levels.  Smokers keep elevated levels of CO as you'd expect inhaling smoke.  CO has a strong attachment to red blood cells.  It is stronger than for oxygen which is why CO in high concentrations kills.  How much and how quickly the lungs recuperate depends on how badly they were damaged and the age of the individual.  Older folks (like me) heal slower and less completely.  In all instances, though, what you are all doing is taking away a serious impediment to your long term health.  When you next need to exert yourself you be limited by your physical condition and not how well your lungs can support the endeavor.  To steal from the Marines, you'll be the best that you can be relative to your conditioning.  The colds you get will be less severe.  Obviously you'll have more money to spend on stereo equipment.  A carton of cigarettes is like $30.00 these days!   

I'm so happy to hear how well everyone is doing.  Amy has the key.  Find that motivation and you will beat this monster EASILY.